New Defender News

mpinco

Expedition Leader
So, to the possibility that the issues are related is non-zero. The Defender control systems are Blackberry QNX hypervisor / virtualized which is why early marketing material noted 85 "cpu's". That's 85 virtual processors sharing I/O subsystems.

Corgi_express

If this was a new Toyota product, everyone would be shocked

TFL is currently having problems with FIVE different vehicles - a Corvette, a Silverado, a Mini, a BMW, and a Tesla. They drove the Defender off road, at twelve thousand feet elevation, with less than a hundred miles on the odometer, completely ignoring the three thousand mile break-in period.

Someone else said how honest they are - I am not sure I agree with that assessment. I enjoy their videos and think they are very entertaining, but they do a lot of fairly ridiculous stuff for the sake of clickbait (like comparing a new Defender with no rear locker and in the wrong off road mode against a built original defender with lockers all around).

I will watch their stuff for the laughs and the enjoyable banter, but I would not make any purchase decisions based on anything they say.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I seem to remember that TFL said they asked the LR Dealer and we’re told that there was No break in period.

merrion13

I seem to remember that TFL said they asked the LR Dealer and we’re told that there was No break in period.
Unfortunately that dealer is wrong and TFL should read their manual, LR is pretty explicit there about break-in. But to be fair, I don't think any of their issues point to lack of break-in and simply rest on the issues at Land Rover. See my post at end of preceding page, they need to tighten up the vehicles coming out of Nitra ASAP.

T-Willy

I too recall that in the videos--and that they consulted the manual, but I'd have (and don't want) to double-check.

Does the LR warranty require a break-in period for the 4 cylinder? If so, can someone post that? I was wondering about that, looked online, and found nothing. That said, I agree with Merrion that I don't think these issues point to a lack of break-in. Still, it'd be useful to understand this.

Last edited:

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
TFL is currently having problems with FIVE different vehicles - a Corvette, a Silverado, a Mini, a BMW, and a Tesla. They drove the Defender off road, at twelve thousand feet elevation, with less than a hundred miles on the odometer, completely ignoring the three thousand mile break-in period.

Someone else said how honest they are - I am not sure I agree with that assessment. I enjoy their videos and think they are very entertaining, but they do a lot of fairly ridiculous stuff for the sake of clickbait (like comparing a new Defender with no rear locker and in the wrong off road mode against a built original defender with lockers all around).

I will watch their stuff for the laughs and the enjoyable banter, but I would not make any purchase decisions based on anything they say.
lame excuse, break in had nothing to do with it. TFL is honest, I focus more on their truck reviews and they are the most respected in the business.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Hmmmm .......... the latest 2021 Discovery Sport P300e was upgraded to Pivi Pro / Blackberry QNX which virtualizes embedded processing on fewer hardware CPU's. Virtual architectures share CPU, Memory and I/O resources through time slicing and scheduling of task.

Recently:
Land Rover Halts Evoque And Disco Sport P300e PHEV Sales

"After claiming that the Evoque P300e and Discovery Sport P300e plug-in hybrid models put out as little as 32 and 36 g/km of CO2, respectively, Land Rover has had to halt sales in order to reclassify their emissions ratings.

The carmaker’s websites in the UK and Germany already have the two variants classified as “not currently available to order,” which is not a good look.........
."

Wondering if Land Rover is having teething issues on their significant move to virtualized processing and SOTA architecture

umbertob

Adventurer
Useful (and almost identical to the LR4's vacuum method, save for the welcome reappearance of the dipstick in the new Defender), but my goodness does that nice "chap" like to talk! 40 minutes of chatter for 5-10 minutes of action. ;) I know I'll use Mobil 1 myself, but has anyone been able to source the oil filter, outside of an overpriced dealership, yet?

Also, just loosen the housing with the old filter a handful of turns and let it sit in there to drain until it's time to replace it, rather than removing it completely like he did. Too many chances for dust and dirt to fall into that empty cavity by leaving it open for such a long time, especially if you like to talk that much, lol.

Last edited:
.. Toyota ....

My daughter's brand-spanking-new 2019 Tacoma was bought back by Toyota last spring after three or four months of recurring fuel system / CEL codes indicating "intermittent misfires". The thing was totally unpredictable, other than to say it would stall and throw codes daily ... when it wasn't in the shop.

She bought a '20 Tacoma replacement and it's been so-far-so-good.

Hope the TFL guys have an easier resolution.

...no computers in my LR, thank goodness :)

Carson G

.. Toyota ....

My daughter's brand-spanking-new 2019 Tacoma was bought back by Toyota last spring after three or four months of recurring fuel system / CEL codes indicating "intermittent misfires". The thing was totally unpredictable, other than to say it would stall and throw codes daily ... when it wasn't in the shop.

My grandparent bought a brand new 2019 Toyota Highlander last year and it had a small coolant leak and Toyota refused to fix it.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
.. Toyota ....

My grandparent bought a brand new 2019 Toyota Highlander last year and it had a small coolant leak and Toyota refused to fix it.

Yep. I really think it's all a crap shoot. Doesn't matter which manufacturer it is. Buy what you want and hope it's decent. ?‍♂️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles