New Defender News

JackW

Explorer
Yeah I'm hating my Defenders - both of them..NOT..

There are a few places I won't take my new Defender because you don't beat up your daily driver (and I'm waiting on my Lucky 8 rock sliders to get here) and the prospect of a 500+ mile day in my old Defender gives me pause. So I will split my time between them and the Miata depending on what my plans are for the day.

Red90

Adventurer
which is why it’s not been locked and has remained a civil chat about the car without the “It’S nOt A rEaL DeFeNdEr” circle jerk of haters.
Which grew tiresome and I personally blocked seeing a few people as they were contributing nothing but bile and anger.

People should be free to have different opinions as long as they stay within the rules. If you do not like their opinions, you do not need to read them nor respond to them. Censoring the content is not and should not be within the rights of the moderators.

To be fair you are a large part of any problem by using words such as "circle jerk of haters"

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
People should be free to have different opinions as long as they stay within the rules. If you do not like their opinions, you do not need to read them nor respond to them. Censoring the content is not and should not be within the rights of the moderators.

To be fair you are a large part of any problem by using words such as "circle jerk of haters"
Agreed. If someone doesn't like the content of a particular thread, don't read that thread. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Red90

Adventurer
It appears censoring the content is a duty of the moderators. Keep in mind that they do so when forum members fail to live up to the rules.

I appreciate being able to suggest this forum to people of all ages. :)

You have missed my point. Enforcing the rules is fine. That is not all that they have been doing. They specifically stated that you can not say anything negative about the new Defender on this thread. That is not against any forum rules.

In addition, they are censoring any off topic comments. That is also not against the rules. They are making their own rules based on their personal preferences. This is not acceptable practice in our society.

A.J.M

Explorer

Different opinion is fine.
That thread went beyond it, it went to entrenched positions and lack of respect on all sides. My words were accurate, some members, were told to wind it back, but wouldn’t.

When the mods need to step in, then something has gone wrong.
Which as pointed out, is when the basic forum rules have been broken.

What is clear is the new defender is being used by people for off road trips.
That Canadian one, there was a South African one and a few others.

There are aftermarket companies making and developing parts for it.
It’s now winning awards.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Red90 - you are correct, this specific Defender thread is for news and nice things to say about the Defender. As you may remember, there was plenty of other threads going on for people to say whatever they feel like about the Defender. We merged them and let it open for several months and as expected it became a debacle after 200+ pages. Most people wanted us to close it. The two threads lived side by side for a while. In case you were wondering, this is not some sort of conspiracy from Land Rover to protect his image. It's just us (and I suspect most Land Rover owners) getting tired of Lucas jokes.

I just deleted (or censor if you prefer) a post from someone whose only sentence was "This is a turd". Help me understand how that post adds any sort of value and how it is not just trolling. I would do the same if it was in the Montero thread or in a Vanagon thread, but it seems like Land Rover always attract more of that behavior.

"Offtopic" or derailing a thread, like it is happening right now, is also frown upon, and we have a section for that called Fireside Chat.

Now can we please go back to the pretty images of Defender going around the world or else I am going to have to delete a bunch of posts again.

Last edited:

DieselRanger

It's just us (and I suspect most Land Rover owners) getting tired of Lucas jokes.

I don't know, I loves me some Lucas jokes. The Grand Tour had a ball with them in S2 E6. It's more the people who insist all modern Land Rovers are garbage *because* there are Lucas jokes, and because they don't like the way Gerry McGovern draws adjoining squares and rectangles.

That's all I'll say on the subject in this thread.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
So while the forum has participation rules and trophies, moderators should exhibit restraint or they risk "Hello" outcomes (see Fireside) and eventual death spirals.

People need thicker skins. The rage/hate thread morphed into a competition to maximize page count. Entertaining, brought a smile to my face on some post AND kept forum partipation higher and maintained eyeballs. If you were offended, get a life.

Manufactures do need critique/criticism. How else are they going to get an early warning that they are headed down the wrong road?

One only needs to review JLR financials and reflect on the latest CEO replacement / firing to add color to those threads. Keep in mind that CEOs are never 'fired', they retire or move on.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
So while the forum has participation rules and trophies, moderators should exhibit restraint or they risk "Hello" outcomes (see Fireside) and eventual death spirals.

People need thicker skins. The rage/hate thread morphed into a competition to maximize page count. Entertaining, brought a smile to my face on some post AND kept forum partipation higher and maintained eyeballs. If you were offended, get a life.

Manufactures do need critique/criticism. How else are they going to get an early warning that they are headed down the wrong road?

One only needs to review JLR financials and reflect on the latest CEO replacement / firing to add color to those threads. Keep in mind that CEOs are never 'fired', they retire or move on.
Okay, to be clear my intent with the 'Hello' topic was just to gauge if I was the only one who thought is seemed a little slower around here. That was all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles