New Defender News

JackW

Explorer
That looks amazing. Very similar to my built, I just went with the basic seats though. Which rims are those? I can't really tell.
The 18" gray alloys, I really like the way they look. I've gotten spoiled with the leather seats in the LR3 and D5 so I decided to spend a little extra for the durability and comfort. I plan on keeping this one for a long time so I splurged a bit. It looks like it will be Friday at the earliest before I can take delivery.

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_151114970.jpg
    IMG_20200921_151114970.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 53

Nick4

The 18" gray alloys, I really like the way they look. I've gotten spoiled with the leather seats in the LR3 and D5 so I decided to spend a little extra for the durability and comfort. I plan on keeping this one for a long time so I splurged a bit. It looks like it will be Friday at the earliest before I can take delivery.

Perfect! Those are the wheels I choose, they look great. I just submitted the order, I have months to go...

Congrats on yours, makes me feel much better about my choices. I really wanted to go Blue with white roof and white steel rims. I much as I loved it on the monitor, I was worried it would look gimmicky in person.

JackW

Explorer
Perfect! Those are the wheels I choose, they look great. I just submitted the order, I have months to go...

Congrats on yours, makes me feel much better about my choices. I really wanted to go Blue with white roof and white steel rims. I much as I loved it on the monitor, I was worried it would look gimmicky in person.
Here's a better picture or two - this was the one that came in June but somebody had deleted the tow pack from the build package so I had to reject it.

JW-110-8.jpgJW-110-2.jpgIMG_20200921_154924750.jpg

Last edited:

naks

Just came back from a trail drive, which has a training obstacle course - side slopes, cross-axles, hill climbs, etc., all on very loose sandy/clay soil.

We put my mate's Defender through it in various modes, and there was very little to no spin in the correct modes. This is because we figured out that when you switch off the car, it DOESN'T remain in the Terrain Mode, but defaults back to Comfort, which then results in loads of wheelspin.

Thanks to PowerfulUK for their detailed video on this:
One more thing - this is software dependent, because unlike their video, our Defender defaulted back to Comfort mode regardless of which mode it was previously in when switched off!

Last edited:

DieselRanger

Just came back from a trail drive, which has a training obstacle course - side slopes, cross-axles, hill climbs, etc., all on very loose sandy/clay soil.

We put my mate's Defender through it in various modes, and there was very little to no spin in the correct modes.

This is because we figured out that when you switch off the car, it DOESN'T remain in the Terrain Mode, but defaults back to Comfort, which then results in loads of wheelspin.

Thanks to PowerfulUK for their detailed video on this:

One more thing - this is software dependent, because unlike their video, our Defender defaulted back to Comfort mode regardless of which mode it was previously in when switched off!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Interesting - one of the benefits of the dial on TR2. Keeps it in the off-road mode you set before you stopped the engine.

umbertob

Adventurer
Holy Cow, that's your backyard? It looks gorgeous Jack, and the car ain't bad, either. ;) Congratulations. What do you think so far? ZI have about 600 miles on mine and I can't find a single thing I don't like. Infotainment needs some polishing, but I am confident the occasional hiccups can and will be corrected with software updates while we sleep. Otherwise it's a fantastic car.

JackW

Explorer
Just a partially wooded .95 acre lot in a subdivision in Roswell, GA. We're on the top of a hill which gives us a nice remote feeling - but the driveway is kind of a **********.
Back yard is great except for the 2-1/2 foot copperhead the dog and I just about stepped on this afternoon... the pieces are buried back in the woods. I generally leave all of the backyard critters alone except for those guys - for the sake of the standard poodle.
Since I've put a grand total of eight miles on it since picking it up I haven't gotten much of a chance to form an opinion except that its very quiet, has a great ride and seems to have plenty of power.
You can hear the engine breathing through the snorkel when the window is down at low speed - especially when you open the throttle. Its barely noticeable and not really annoying - just sounds kinda funny. I guess that's why the Brits put it on the left side.

It just feels tighter than the D5 - in a very good way. I'm looking forward to getting some miles on it.

Defender-18.jpg

naks

Interesting - one of the benefits of the dial on TR2. Keeps it in the off-road mode you set before you stopped the engine.

with regards to the car always going back to Comfort Mode, one of the guys on the Defender2 forum managed to get an answer from JLR:

"Someone from the infotainment and UI development team at JLR replied to my query about the above issue (the TR always defaulting back to Comfort mode after an ignition cycle.) It's an emissions testing requirement (not sure in which country - probably more than one.) The rules mandate that a vehicle always has to start in the same conditions used for such tests. So, there. It's something we'll have to learn to live with."

what a major PITA!

One thing we did notice during Thursday's outing, was that unlike the RRS, when in Rock Crawl mode the ND locks the rear diff completely - we could see this when turning on a flat surface and the rear tyres were scrabbling, whereas on my RRS, it's pre-locked and turning on a flat surface is normal.

Last edited:

DieselRanger

with regards to the car always going back to Comfort Mode, one of the guys on the Defender2 forum managed to get an answer from JLR:

"Someone from the infotainment and UI development team at JLR replied to my query about the above issue (the TR always defaulting back to Comfort mode after an ignition cycle.) It's an emissions testing requirement (not sure in which country - probably more than one.) The rules mandate that a vehicle always has to start in the same conditions used for such tests. So, there. It's something we'll have to learn to live with."

what a major PITA!

One thing we did notice during Thursday's outing, was that unlike the RRS, when in Rock Crawl mode the ND locks the rear diff completely - we could see this when turning on a flat surface and the rear tyres were scrabbling, whereas on my RRS, it's pre-locked and turning on a flat surface is normal.
Must be new because mine doesn't. 2017 Discovery HSE Td6.

But perhaps the new Defender's off road modes adjust throttle response and emissions system behavior outside of allowed parameters for presumed off road travel, and therefore must revert back during a fresh start. This would be OK in the rulebook as long as they were "declared" during the certification regime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles