New Defender News

catmann

JLR is still counting on selling 100,000 Defenders per year according to this article covering the delay of the RR EV. Probably once all the derivatives and spec levels are available that may be easier to achieve - right now it is mostly higher priced trims on the market.

A.J.M

Explorer
I still can’t understand why JLR sell any 4x4 with anything bigger than a 20” wheel.

The tyres are silly expensive ( 22” continental OEM is £255 a corner ) and they are sensitive to potholes etc.

Doesn’t really give the appearance of the toughest Land Rover ever with drug dealer wheels fitted.

My 2p worth.

However, the more I see a kitted up white one, the more swayed I am to that being the colour of choice.

ChasingOurTrunks

one of the local chaps did almost that - Two new Defenders having some fun offroad. Both with rear E-diff and advanced offroad package. White has 19 inch Goodyear Wrangler Adventurers A/Ts, while Brown has 22 inch.

His thoughts:

Great vid, Naks. I think you may know the SA Land Rover group, so please pass on Kudos to the young cameraman! His commentary and enthusiasm was a good addition to the video.

It's nearly shocking -- Both Defenders made that look easy, and one of them wasn't exactly wearing the proper hiking boots for that terrain, whereas every other vehicle struggled. It really speaks to how clever that TR2 and locker combo can be!

T-Willy

JLR is still counting on selling 100,000 Defenders per year according to this article covering the delay of the RR EV. Probably once all the derivatives and spec levels are available that may be easier to achieve - right now it is mostly higher priced trims on the market.

Anyone know what their annual US sales target or expectation is for the new Defender?

A.J.M

Explorer
I really liked the practicality of my FR rack.

the protection and painting left a lot to be desired.
I had a warranty claim for the mountings.
I had three claims for the rack corners and expedition rail kits.

Shame as the rack was excellent but the quality was garbage. I had rust and corrosion appearing after 3 months of summer and autumn weather.

soflorovers

I still can’t understand why JLR sell any 4x4 with anything bigger than a 20” wheel.

The tyres are silly expensive ( 22” continental OEM is £255 a corner ) and they are sensitive to potholes etc.

Doesn’t really give the appearance of the toughest Land Rover ever with drug dealer wheels fitted.

My 2p worth.

However, the more I see a kitted up white one, the more swayed I am to that being the colour of choice.
They've gotta make some money somewhere. At the end of the day, the enthusiasts always go for the smaller wheel options. Lets be real...barely anyone is going to buy the 18" steel wheel option here in the USA, but they'll still offer it (despite the fact that they won't sell many) because they sell so many of the 22". As I love to remind people: Porsche can sell the GT2/GT3 because they sell a ton of Cayennes. "Upgraded" wheels are pure profit for an OEM.

naks

Well, it's a proper Landy after all
grin.gif

JLRTB02052 - Rear Doors Difficult To Open
JLRTB02054 - Loadspace Air Suspension Switch Operation Inverted
SSM74889 - distortion on Rear Mudflap part VPLEP0388 (Cause: Moulding process not optimised.)
SSM75038 - L663 20MY Tapping Wind Noise from A-Pillar Area
SSM75002 - Defender Rear Doors Secondary Door Seal Creases
SSM74962 - L663 Rear door seal touching to quarter glass
SSM74838 - L663 Roof Opening Panel One Touch Feature
SSM74825 - L663 Defender window run channel seals deformed/not seating correctly
SSM75003 -L663 Steering gear Warning light on Instrument Cluster (Action: Establish with the customer if the fault has occurred as a result of wading. Clear the fault with an ignition cycle, clear DTCs. Do not replace the gear for this fault. Note: There will be a software update in November 2020 to fix the issue. )
SSM74988 - Defender (L663) 20MY Onwards - Clear DTC C055E-7A When ABS (AMBER) / DSC (AMBER) Lights Appear
SSM74874- New Defender L663: Brake noise (363mm 14.29` Discs) felt through the floor during braking
SSM74999 - L663 Rear HVAC panel not working as expected
SSM74940 - L663 Defender Wifi, Incontrol App, Telematics not found.
SSM74936 - L663 Defender False theft alert sent to customer
SSM74839 - L663 Defender: Pivi Pro Navigation Map Installation Issues
SSM74598 - AJ20-D4 Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor Harness Connection Mismatch
SSM75004 - Low Coolant Warning Displayed on Instrument Cluster (Coolant on MAX Level)
SSM74938 - AJ20-P4 19MY High pitched noise from turbocharger and/or rattle from turbo actuator system.
SSM74894 - L663 Defender, Engine noise whilst accelerating or decelerating: I6 3.0l Petrol versions

A.J.M

Explorer
They've gotta make some money somewhere. At the end of the day, the enthusiasts always go for the smaller wheel options. Lets be real...barely anyone is going to buy the 18" steel wheel option here in the USA, but they'll still offer it (despite the fact that they won't sell many) because they sell so many of the 22". As I love to remind people: Porsche can sell the GT2/GT3 because they sell a ton of Cayennes. "Upgraded" wheels are pure profit for an OEM.

oh I can understand why.

I personally disagree with it. But then I’m also not a huge fan of the 18” steel either.

so what do I know?:LOL:

As long as I can get 19s on the D300, I’ll be happy with some Duratracs.

DieselRanger

We took our Defender to an OHV park here in CA over the weekend, and climbed a manufacturerd obstacle that was made up of concrete steps that were covered in fine, loose sand. We were in the mud/ruts program, which allows moderate wheel spin, and yet we slowly and deliberately crawled up the obstacle, with some wheel spin, but it was always slow, and all the tires were spinning, as the car slid side to side looking for traction.

The wheels never spun fast like the car from the Denver dealer has done in videos. That further convinced me that they are in the wrong mode - possibly trying to over-compensate for the lack of a rear locker on their rig (something my rig has).
I was up in Wyoming for a long weekend last weekend with my D5. Massive blow-downs all over the forest road, sometimes 50 yards of 12"+ trees blown down from the snowstorm a couple weeks ago. Some bypasses cut through the forest over moss/loam/undergrowth, some crawling over trees and threading the needle between cut stumps and trunks. A couple spots where there were 90 degree transitions from 15 degree side slope to 17+ degree climbs or descents over rocks and very loose dirt.

The D5 Td6 with no rear locker, in low range, Rock Crawl mode, on 60-series ATs on 20" wheels...did it all with virtually no wheelspin, no drama, with an occasional wheel in the air. A couple rock steps on the steeps took a go or two to find the right line over a 12" step or two but it was never stymied. Took a few hits on the Proud Rhino sliders, glad I had them.

My buddy's Raptor was too wide to go past our campsite - couldn't make it through the cuts and bypasses. Barely made it to the campsite, but with some spotting we got him there without a scratch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles