New Defender News

naks

normal_5DF1F93C-A5C1-405D-A94D-87281740C737.jpeg

ChasingOurTrunks

Very cool. The old Series rig looks like it’s got more character than a George R Martin novel. The new one has some cool limb risers and that doesn’t look like the JLR rack, but some different option. Both must be adapted/custom/DIY solutions, which is great to see. That Defender looks quite at home in that environment with that kit. I can’t wait to start seeing how they look with an ARB bar up front.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Very cool. The old Series rig looks like it’s got more character than a George R Martin novel. The new one has some cool limb risers and that doesn’t look like the JLR rack, but some different option. Both must be adapted/custom/DIY solutions, which is great to see. That Defender looks quite at home in that environment with that kit. I can’t wait to start seeing how they look with an ARB bar up front.
That’s Oxford. Tim Sleesor drove that truck from London to Singapore. And last year they drove it back from Singapore back to London.04AE8461-B1FC-4587-944F-EB4C76158243.jpeg

DieselRanger

Where's all the crazy wheelspin all the other videos had?!?!?!? This looks far more in line with what I'm used to.
Yeah, kinda makes me question the approach of the Denver dealer to setting the TC for more wheelspin. I suppose the theory is, if you have some sand over smooth hardpack/rock then the extra wheelspin will sweep the surface until the tires bite.

Wheelspin on dirt just degrades the trail and increases erosion.

Corgi_express

Yeah, kinda makes me question the approach of the Denver dealer to setting the TC for more wheelspin. I suppose the theory is, if you have some sand over smooth hardpack/rock then the extra wheelspin will sweep the surface until the tires bite.

Wheelspin on dirt just degrades the trail and increases erosion.

We took our Defender to an OHV park here in CA over the weekend, and climbed a manufacturerd obstacle that was made up of concrete steps that were covered in fine, loose sand. We were in the mud/ruts program, which allows moderate wheel spin, and yet we slowly and deliberately crawled up the obstacle, with some wheel spin, but it was always slow, and all the tires were spinning, as the car slid side to side looking for traction.

The wheels never spun fast like the car from the Denver dealer has done in videos. That further convinced me that they are in the wrong mode - possibly trying to over-compensate for the lack of a rear locker on their rig (something my rig has).

Bonus: after we climbed the obstacle with minimal fuss, a lifted Cherokee XJ with huge mud terrains tried to climb it, and his wheels were spinning all over the place. He could not climb the obstacle, even using tons of momentum. If we were Youtubers, I would have been tempted to post a video with a clickbait title about how Jeeps are crap off road and the Defender destroyed it ?

I wouldn't have actually done that, mind you, because I'm not a petty child... but I would have been tempted.

Edit for crybabies who lack basic reading comprehension skills: I am not ACTUALLY claiming that Jeeps are crap - that would be a stupid thing to do based on the fact that a single decades-old home built beater was bested on a single obstacle by my stock Defender. I am making fun of the biased BS comparisons that have been published.

Last edited:

soflorovers

We took our Defender to an OHV park here in CA over the weekend, and climbed a manufacturerd obstacle that was made up of concrete steps that were covered in fine, loose sand. We were in the mud/ruts program, which allows moderate wheel spin, and yet we slowly and deliberately crawled up the obstacle, with some wheel spin, but it was always slow, and all the tires were spinning, as the car slid side to side looking for traction.

The wheels never spun fast like the car from the Denver dealer has done in videos. That further convinced me that they are in the wrong mode - possibly trying to over-compensate for the lack of a rear locker on their rig (something my rig has).

Bonus: after we climbed the obstacle with minimal fuss, a lifted Cherokee XJ with huge mud terrains tried to climb it, and his wheels were spinning all over the place. He could not climb the obstacle, even using tons of momentum. If we were Youtubers, I would have been tempted to post a video with a clickbait title about how Jeeps are crap off road and the Defender destroyed it ?

I wouldn't have actually done that, mind you, because I'm not a petty child... but I would have been tempted.
You should have done that...it would've saved us 200+ pages of "Rage/Hate"!

naks

You should have done that...it would've saved us 200+ pages of "Rage/Hate"!

one of the local chaps did almost that - Two new Defenders having some fun offroad. Both with rear E-diff and advanced offroad package. White has 19 inch Goodyear Wrangler Adventurers A/Ts, while Brown has 22 inch.

His thoughts:
Suspension offroad works exceptionally well.
Approach angle, departure angle and ground clearance are very good.
Weakest point is the breakover angle. Would have been better to have moved the rear axle a bit further forward (but that would obviously sacrifice benefits in other areas like road holding and interior packaging etc)
Inherent traction is in line with a Land Cruiser and Patrol. IOW: exceptional
Glossy black B pillars scratch almost by just staring at it.
Aural parking aids are an irritant.
User friendliness of offroad software isn't great having to do it thorough the touch screen.
Cameras are crisp, crystal clear and sharp!

Corgi_express

Aural parking aids are an irritant.

This makes me really nervous about trusting the feedback here - the parking aids are only on when in comfort/eco modes. I have never heard a parking aid alert when in any of the off road modes.

User friendliness of offroad software isn't great having to do it thorough the touch screen.

This is the only place I really have an issue with the Pivi Pro performance - using the wheel to scroll through the modes is super laggy. I end up hitting the button and then choosing the mode on the touchscreen. I'd love it if this was more responsive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles