New Defender News

shawnpalmer

The bolt-down points for the storage box are already there below the side trim, and I am just waiting for some third party to come out with a mounting bracket for rotopax that attaches in the same place.
I'm sure that is coming. Lucky 8 has a few items that are not on their website that are already available. Keep watching their IG page.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
The bolt-down points for the storage box are already there below the side trim, and I am just waiting for some third party to come out with a mounting bracket for rotopax that attaches in the same place.
with all the talk about the safety features of the new defender I am a little shocked that Land Rover did not move the storage box to the left side on Left hand Driver vehicles. My LR3 already has a Huge Blind spot and with the size of the C pillar and the Box it looks like the D2's will be even bigger. I don't care how good the lane change radar is I would always check my shoulder.

I do like the idea of a Rotopax holder there.

catmann

Just to confirm, the plug-in hybrid is not coming to the US anytime soon:

CO2 targets
The SUV maker's parent, Jaguar Land Rover, has to hit a European target to lower its CO2 fleet emissions to 156g/km by 2021, measured on the WLTP test cycle.​
In 2017, the company's European fleet average was 153g/km based on the less stringent NEDC test cycle, according to company figures.​
Plug-in hybrid versions of the Defender will also be launched in China "in the near future," a spokesman said. However, the drivetrain will not be offered in the U.S. "There is currently no demand for this powertrain in this segment of the market in the U.S." the spokesman added.​

T-Willy

Perusing dealer websites I see *zero* base model (low spec, on steelies) Defenders in the U.S.

Am I missing something?

T-Willy

Plug-in hybrid versions of the Defender will also be launched in China "in the near future," a spokesman said. However, the drivetrain will not be offered in the U.S. "There is currently no demand for this powertrain in this segment of the market in the U.S." the spokesman added.​

"No demand" is a vigorously dumb statement. Who wouldn't want to get 83 MPG on their touring truck?

Corgi_express

They can't keep the higher trim models, where they make more money, on the lots - why would they be bothering to order the low end trims? Maybe in a year or two when supply can meet demand they will diversify a bit.

When i was shopping, I was mainly annoyed at how few had the rear locker - but now I have seen more popping up since I bought mine, so it seems like they realized there was demand there.

Not having the hybrid in the US bugs me - I bet they will change their tune if the Wrangler (and eventual Bronco) hybrids do well.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
"No demand" is a vigorously dumb statement. Who wouldn't want to get 83 MPG on their touring truck?

Well you have to look at price (much higher than non-hybrid) vs the value equation of "83 mpg" for 27 miles. THAT is no/not enough demand to justify sales/support.

Edit add: AND payload / towing is reduced from 3500kg to 3000kg or down 1100lbs. Does that say the PHEV "technology" weighs in at 1100lbs? Probably. Ouch.

Last edited:

T-Willy

Well you have to look at price (much higher than non-hybrid) vs the value equation of "83 mpg" for 27 miles. THAT is no/not enough demand to justify sales/support.

From what I've read, it gets 27 miles of all-electric range and 83 MPGe combined. Tax incentives could at least partially offset costs.

The touring implications of a combined 83 MPG are profound; five extra gallons of gas adds 400 extra miles of range. The platform adds torque, slashes operating costs, and cuts greenhouses gas pollution. Win, win, win, win.

For these same reasons, and as Land Rover sits on the sidelines, I expect that Jeep's 4xe will do very well--especially among those who use their Jeeps for remote touring.

T-Willy

Edit add: AND payload / towing is reduced from 3500kg to 3000kg or down 1100lbs. Does that say the PHEV "technology" weighs in at 1100lbs? Probably. Ouch.

Payload and towing are not synonymous. I have not seen the payload for the hybrid 110. Did it change?

DieselRanger

For these same reasons, and as Land Rover sits on the sidelines, I expect that Jeep's 4xe will do very well--especially among those who use their Jeeps for remote touring
Hey remember when Jeep offered a 4cyl hybrid that nobody bought? No? Well, they discontinued it because nobody bought it. They literally only offered it for two model years. It was also extremely unreliable.

T-Willy

Hey remember when Jeep offered a 4cyl hybrid that nobody bought? No? Well, they discontinued it because nobody bought it. They literally only offered it for two model years. It was also extremely unreliable.

If you're referring to the one that they released a few years ago, yes, I do remember that. For all practical purposes, the only relevant commonality between that Jeep and the 4xe and Defender hybrids is the word "hybrid." The latter two are vastly more efficient, setting them apart in terms of capability and, I think, desirability to consumers. In fact, I'm not sure the former was even more efficient than the diesel Wrangler. Given both manufacturers' track records, I would generally expect all three to have poor reliability relative to other vehicles.

Carson G

From what I've read, it gets 27 miles of all-electric range and 83 MPGe combined. Tax incentives could at least partially offset costs.

The touring implications of a combined 83 MPG are profound; five extra gallons of gas adds 400 extra miles of range. The platform adds torque, slashes operating costs, and cuts greenhouses gas pollution. Win, win, win, win.

For these same reasons, and as Land Rover sits on the sidelines, I expect that Jeep's 4xe will do very well--especially among those who use their Jeeps for remote touring.
That is correct it’s 27 miles of full electric power. I remember hearing about Land Rover testing that on the silk trail expedition.

One of my favorite modern LR expeditions.

https://expeditionportal.com/silk-road-expedition-2013-nears-the-finish/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles