New Defender News

Corgi_express

I guess the day we see a no-rod-lift D2 hit the trial is the day I buy one.

:( whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :(

I've had mine on the trail a few times but don't have a Youtube channel. I was hoping to go some more (just got some Wrangler Duratracs fitted), but seeing as how the entire western half of the US is on fire, those plans are on hold for the time being.

Oh wait...

Oh I'm not saying it's not, I'm just really wanting to see it perform stock, with a competent driver!

Never mind, then. :ROFLMAO:

Blaise

lolllllll my bad :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, it's really bad out here. I cut my BDR trip a day short due to the fires this weekend :( Come next year... like.. before late august.

naks

https://media.landrover.com/news/20...-electric-power-six-cylinder-diesel-and-new-x
  • First Defender Plug-In Hybrid: New Defender P400e is the most powerful and fuel-efficient Defender, with 404PS, 0-60mph in 5.4 seconds, 85.3mpg and CO2 emissions of 74g/km
  • All-electric driving: Electric motor delivers instant torque for zero-emission on- and off-road driving, with an electric range of 27 miles and no tailpipe emissions, plus five- or six-seat options
  • New six-cylinder Ingenium diesel: Smooth and refined in-line diesel engine is available in three power outputs of D200, D250 and range-topping D300
  • High-performance diesel: D300 delivers superior torque, fuel economy and emissions to previous diesels, and is Eu6d-Final and RDE2 compliant
  • Defender Hard Top: Tough commercial Defender available in 90 and 110 body designs, with a range of Ingenium diesel engines and a practical, durable load area
  • Defender X-Dynamic: Bridging the gap between Defender and Defender X models, new X-Dynamic features a tough exterior design and unique interior fittings
  • Intelligent All-Wheel Drive: Defender is the first Land Rover with Intelligent All-Wheel drive system, fitted to all in-line six-cylinder diesels
  • Defender 90: Three-door version boasts impressive capability and advanced technologies in a compact wheelbase, capable of seating six and available to order now
  • Choose your model: 90 Hard Top priced from £35,820 OTR (ex. VAT), 110 Hard Top from £43,012 OTR (ex. VAT), 90 from £43,625 and 110 starting at £45,640 in the UK.

DieselRanger

https://media.landrover.com/news/20...-electric-power-six-cylinder-diesel-and-new-x
  • First Defender Plug-In Hybrid: New Defender P400e is the most powerful and fuel-efficient Defender, with 404PS, 0-60mph in 5.4 seconds, 85.3mpg and CO2 emissions of 74g/km
  • All-electric driving: Electric motor delivers instant torque for zero-emission on- and off-road driving, with an electric range of 27 miles and no tailpipe emissions, plus five- or six-seat options
  • New six-cylinder Ingenium diesel: Smooth and refined in-line diesel engine is available in three power outputs of D200, D250 and range-topping D300
  • High-performance diesel: D300 delivers superior torque, fuel economy and emissions to previous diesels, and is Eu6d-Final and RDE2 compliant
  • Defender Hard Top: Tough commercial Defender available in 90 and 110 body designs, with a range of Ingenium diesel engines and a practical, durable load area
  • Defender X-Dynamic: Bridging the gap between Defender and Defender X models, new X-Dynamic features a tough exterior design and unique interior fittings
  • Intelligent All-Wheel Drive: Defender is the first Land Rover with Intelligent All-Wheel drive system, fitted to all in-line six-cylinder diesels
  • Defender 90: Three-door version boasts impressive capability and advanced technologies in a compact wheelbase, capable of seating six and available to order now
  • Choose your model: 90 Hard Top priced from £35,820 OTR (ex. VAT), 110 Hard Top from £43,012 OTR (ex. VAT), 90 from £43,625 and 110 starting at £45,640 in the UK.
No mention whether the D300 will make it to the States, unfortunately.

Intelligent All Wheel Drive?

The new intelligent driveline system continually varies axle torque based on sensor data from the vehicle’s surroundings and driver inputs to distribute all torque to one axle or the other as required. This intelligent torque distribution system optimises the driveline for traction, on-road dynamics and driveline efficiency, resulting in improved fuel economy and reduced CO2 emissions – all without sacrificing any of Defender's inherent off-road capability.

Hmmm... sounds like an electronically assisted haldex that puts it in rear wheel drive most of the time (cool for on road driving in dry conditions...), but if this means you can't get Terrain Response 2 and the lockers with it then no thanks..

Corgi_express

The US press release at https://media.landrover.com/en-us/news/2020/09/introducing-2021-land-rover-defender does not mention the Plug-in Hybrid being available in the USA, so does that mean we might not get it on this side of the pond until after the 2021 model year?

Then again, the P400e quotes only 3000kg of towing capacity, while the P400 that I already own has 3500kg, and towing capacity was one of the big selling points for me.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The US press release at https://media.landrover.com/en-us/news/2020/09/introducing-2021-land-rover-defender does not mention the Plug-in Hybrid being available in the USA, so does that mean we might not get it on this side of the pond until after the 2021 model year?

Then again, the P400e quotes only 3000kg of towing capacity, while the P400 that I already own has 3500kg, and towing capacity was one of the big selling points for me.
You would think they would want it in the US asap since there seems to be a push for and interest in plug in hybrids of all types of vehicles.

Corgi_express

You would think they would want it in the US asap since there seems to be a push for and interest in plug in hybrids of all types of vehicles.

Jeep did the same thing - the Compass and Renegade hybrids have been available in Europe for a while, but not in the US. I would speculate on the reasons but that would be veering into a big political can of worms.

ChasingOurTrunks

If I'm reading this right, all the diesels in 2021 will be the MHEV version of Ingeniums (emphasis added):

The D200 and D240 become D200 and D250 models for 2021*, using the same in-line six-cylinder Ingenium engine as the D300 with 200PS and 249PS respectively. An uplift in torque delivers enhanced usability, with 500Nm (D200) and 570Nm (D250) available, utilising MHEV technology to boost fuel efficiency and reduce emissions across the diesel Defender line-up.

The new Ingenium D200 and D250 return 32.2mpg (8.8l/100km), and CO2 emissions as low as 230g/km, and 0-60mph in 9.5 seconds (0-100km/h in 10.2 seconds) and 7.9 seconds (0-100km/h in 8.3 seconds) respectively on Defender 110.

*In Eu6d-final markets

My understanding is some folks are going P300 over P400 because of not wanting the kind of complexity that MHEV introduces into in the drivetrain, which I can appreciate and understand. I wonder if the lure of a diesel is enough to overcome the fear of the MHEV? I'm right on the fence, myself.

Edit: May be a moot point; the Land Rover US site with the 2021 model release explicitly mentions the P300 and P400. No mention of D-anything, so I am highly doubtful they are planning on bringing the D300 stateside.

Powertrains

Customers can choose between a turbocharged four-cylinder P300 engine and an efficient six-cylinder P400 Mild-Hybrid (MHEV) powertrain.

The inline six-cylinder Ingenium gasoline engine, with MHEV technology, features both a conventional twin-scroll turbocharger and an advanced 48-volt electric supercharger, with a belt-integrated starter motor in place of the alternator to assist the gasoline engine, and a 48-volt lithium-ion battery to store energy captured as the vehicle slows down. All engines drive through a smooth and responsive eight-speed ZF automatic gearbox and twin-speed transfer case, to provide a set of low-range ratios essential for towing or off-road driving when more control is required.

Last edited:

umbertob

Adventurer
If I had purchased a diesel powered new Defender over in Europe or elsewhere, I would be a bit pissed about this announcement. It appears the current 4-cylinders D200 and D240 engines powering MY2020 Defender 110s outside of North America are being canned after less than a year, to be replaced by these 3 new "modular" - same displacement, different power - inline 6s instead. That can't be good for future resale value of 2020 diesel Defenders.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
"Intelligent All-Wheel Drive" routes torque to either the front or rear diff.

".........The new intelligent driveline system continually varies axle torque based on sensor data from the vehicle’s surroundings and driver inputs to distribute all torque to one axle or the other as required.

This intelligent torque distribution system optimises the driveline for traction, on-road dynamics and driveline efficiency, resulting in improved fuel economy and reduced CO2 emissions..........
"

With the UK banning ICE and hybrids by 2032 and moving to EV only, along with stringent fuel economy requirements, I would expect 4WD to slowly disappear from volume production. LR's.

Corgi_express

The bolt-down points for the storage box are already there below the side trim, and I am just waiting for some third party to come out with a mounting bracket for rotopax that attaches in the same place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles