New Defender News

Carson G

Just thought it would be good to point out LR doesn’t make the brake by wire system. It’s made by chassis brakes international who supplies the same basic system notably to Toyota and Ford as well as many other manufacturers. However the Defender has a hill hold function that should have kept that from happening.

ChasingOurTrunks

Just thought it would be good to point out LR doesn’t make the brake by wire system. It’s made by chassis brakes international who supplies the same basic system notably to Toyota and Ford as well as many other manufacturers. However the Defender has a hill hold function that should have kept that from happening.

Thanks Carson. That suggests (hopefully) an isolated issue, as opposed to a widespread one. Pitchfork is now leaning on the wall near the door, ready to be returned to the barn on my next walk to the garden. It’s not enough to make me do a special walk JUST to put the pitchfork away, but your information has brought me closer to that!

Carson G

Thanks Carson. That suggests (hopefully) an isolated issue, as opposed to a widespread one. Pitchfork is now leaning on the wall near the door, ready to be returned to the barn on my next walk to the garden. It’s not enough to make me do a special walk JUST to put the pitchfork away, but your information has brought me closer to that!
I also noticed he said the braking in general wasn’t good which is not what other reviewers have said. They all have pretty much said it’ll stop on a dime. Plus he had the glitchy wade mode which makes me wonder if something either Pivi pro or BCM related is jacked up. I seem to remember reading the LR was releasing a recall or TSB for the power steering issue that was related to the Pivi pro IIRC.

A.J.M

Explorer
The car I drove had 2795 miles when I handed it back.

the brakes were sharp, with none of the issues others have said about.
Even Emma commented on how good the brakes were. As she hit them hard for thr first time and gave the seatbelts a good workout :rolleyes:

mpinco

Expedition Leader

True but LR traction control, which is reverse ABS, is embedded in the ABS subsystem. So while the generic ABS algorithms may be standard across several manufactures, there would be specific functions unique to LR layered on top / integrated.

Carson G

True but LR traction control, which is reverse ABS, is embedded in the ABS subsystem. So while the generic ABS algorithms may be standard across several manufactures, there would be specific functions unique to LR layered on top / integrated.
My point was more along the lines of the hardware being pretty much the same. Considering the vehicle has a almost completely new software and brake system I’m honestly not surprised the software has the occasional glitch. It’s like the early version of each major iOS or Mac OS update it almost always has glitches. I say give it a model year or two and all of the glitches will be gone. That’s not to say I’m not disappointed though I was a little worried about the brake by wire system from the beginning. However this system has been fine on a lot of vehicles so I imagine it will eventually get sorted.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I was parked next to a new Defender yesterday with my 07 LR3. I spoke to the other owner and we were comparing the two. I thought the D was a bit small and did not have enough interior space, it was confirmed (without malice on either party) by the other owner as they also had an 08 LR3 at their home. It does make sense to compare things side by side to actually see the similarities and differences.

JackW

Explorer
That was very nice seeing how the P300 performs off road in real world situations.
Unlike the car commercials where the manufacturers seem to think they need to be throwing the vehicles around tearing big ruts in the ground and splattering mud everywhere its nice to see something closer to real world performance.
With Tread Lightly guidelines in mind we typically putt along in second gear low range, just idling along and steering easily while enjoying the scenery. The way the Defender just idled up those big hills was very reassuring.

I'm thinking now that I was really right in believing the P300 is really going to be a real sweet spot in the lineup without the complication and expense of the MHEV six cylinder version.

DieselRanger

My point was more along the lines of the hardware being pretty much the same. Considering the vehicle has a almost completely new software and brake system I’m honestly not surprised the software has the occasional glitch. It’s like the early version of each major iOS or Mac OS update it almost always has glitches. I say give it a model year or two and all of the glitches will be gone. That’s not to say I’m not disappointed though I was a little worried about the brake by wire system from the beginning. However this system has been fine on a lot of vehicles so I imagine it will eventually get sorted.
I would say with the SOTA updates, the current year glitches will be gone by the time you take delivery of a late 2020 model.

naks

@Reulparts have used @braidwheels to make bespoke beadlock 18 imch versions equipped with @bfgoodrichtires km3 tyres for the New Defender, looks like there is a wheel spacer on herebut the wheel certainly looks good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles