New Defender News

Blaise

Hey now. Hey hey hey. So ... wait, do 35s really fit? Do we have any details? I want to not like it but I can't un-see it....

Last edited:

Carson G

Hey now. Hey hey hey. So ... wait, do 35s really fit? Do we have any details? I want to not like it but I can't un-see it....
From what Lucky8 has said they do. As far as I know it’s tuff ant alloy wheels and a 2” rod lift. I’m not sure if they did any trimming or not you would have to ask them.

Corgi_express

There are definitely some bits of the body missing in Lucky 8's other Instagram posts - I am assuming some trimming would be necessary to fit those bits back on the car, or they will be selling some replacements.

I have been thoroughly unimpressed with the lift rods in the Colorado videos, and Lucky 8 was silent when I asked about how RTI compares with and without the lift rods, so I think I will be avoiding them for the time being.

Blaise

I meant to write an equation/excel for RTI but I can only do it while making some assumptions about how tucked the wheels would be with the rods installed. If we can assume that you wont get full tuck (can anyone verify) then I can do it and give you at least a theoretical difference. Not that RTI is a perfect indicator.

I'd assume LR set the off-road height to the ideal level. Why wouldn't they?

Carson G

You aren’t actually losing travel with lift rods, you basically end up trading droop for up travel. Though I suppose if the tire won’t tuck into the fender well fully you could lose some travel that way. The biggest reason they don’t flex great with lift rods is due to the bags getting stiffer when they’re overinflated. So on the Defender if you ran it at normal height with lift rods you would probably be just under factory off road height which would flex no worse than stock. Lift rods aren’t the ideal solution but for the time being and depending on how much you want to spend they’re okay. The ideal solution is to do a minor subframe drop and strut spacers.

soflorovers

You aren’t actually losing travel with lift rods, you basically end up trading droop for up travel. Though I suppose if the tire won’t tuck into the fender well fully you could lose some travel that way. The biggest reason they don’t flex great with lift rods is due to the bags getting stiffer when they’re overinflated. So on the Defender if you ran it at normal height with lift rods you would probably be just under factory off road height which would flex no worse than stock. Lift rods aren’t the ideal solution but for the time being and depending on how much you want to spend they’re okay. The ideal solution is to do a minor subframe drop and strut spacers.
Everything you just said is on-point. J Auston Fab lifted a second-gen RRS using the subframe drop and they're doing it now to an L494 LWB. Can't wait to see what that looks like.

A.J.M

Explorer
JLR are offering an unaccompanied 3 hour test drive of the new Defender.

My test drive is booked for next Friday morning.
So shall see what it’s like for 3 hours of driving.

Can fit in a lot of motorway, city, back road and maybe even a small bit of off roading in that time.
Only if I can get access to a mates farm fields.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles