New Defender News

DieselRanger

I think I remember reading that JLR was willing to allow third part companies access to the New Defender’s software.
Some of it certainly for things like fault codes, serivce indicator resets, TPMS programming, and other what I would call "tier 1" service, but deep software access for things like EAS control, throttle mapping, shift mapping, etc, not now and maybe not ever. "Car Configuration File editing and ECU Flash are not supported at the current time".

ChasingOurTrunks

View attachment 603740
2021 updates.

EAS option is separate from the off road packs. For those that want a basics no frills Defender this is good news.

Thanks for sharing this Carson. Fantastic news about the coil springs. I thought that offering Coils or Air on the 90 AND 110 was JLR’s plan all along, but I’ve read several times now that coils would not be an option for the 110, so I’m glad to have been misinformed. I’ve just finished convincing myself that I’d spec mine with air anyway, but it’s sure nice to have the option and I may revisit that choice before pulling the trigger.

Im also very curious about this fabric roof option — depending on what that looks like, perhaps that will lend itself to some pop top options like we see on the Troopy or the old Defender in the future. Is there a similar option on the existing RR lineup that might inform what this looks like?

And finally I’m also excited about the D250 option — if that meets Euro6 spec, hopeful that means a potential diesel alternative for North American markets.

I am curious if these options were JLRs intent all along, or if this is in response to customer feedback/research. If it was the intent, I can’t wait to see what else they have in store down the road a piece. If it’s responding to feedback — well that’s excellent too. Either way, my excuses for not ordering a 110 are running out!!

Last edited:

Corgi_express

Im also very curious about this fabric roof option — depending on what that looks like, perhaps that will lend itself to some pop top options like we see on the Troopy or the old Defender in the future.

I said this as soon as I saw the panoramic sunroof. Even without optioning the expensive fabric roof, they are using the same unibody whether you have a window in the roof or not, so that is a place that should be pretty safe for aftermarket upfitters to cut a hole.

2020-land-rover-biw-110-european-version-3.jpg

Carson G

Thanks for sharing this Carson. Fantastic news about the coil springs. I thought that offering Coils or Air on the 90 AND 110 was JLR’s plan all along, but I’ve read several times now that coils would not be an option for the 110, so I’m glad to have been misinformed. I’ve just finished convincing myself that I’d spec mine with air anyway, but it’s sure nice to have the option and I may revisit that choice before pulling the trigger.

Im also very curious about this fabric roof option — depending on what that looks like, perhaps that will lend itself to some pop top options like we see on the Troopy or the old Defender in the future. Is there a similar option on the existing RR lineup that might inform what this looks like?

And finally I’m also excited about the D250 option — if that meets Euro6 spec, hopeful that means a potential diesel alternative for North American markets.

I am curious if these options were JLRs intent all along, or if this is in response to customer feedback/research. If it was the intent, I can’t wait to see what else they have in store down the road a piece. If it’s responding to feedback — well that’s excellent too. Either way, my excuses for not ording a 110 are running out!!
It’s kinda funny ASPW’s (4xoverland) main criticism about the New Defender was the lack of coil springs on the 110. This wipes out that argument. If they come out with a longer 130 that retains the spare tire on the back I’ll be 100% sold on it as a replacement for my D3. My only problem is the 110 is just barely big enough for me to sleep in the back of.

Carson G

Does this mean that the 110 would be available with coils in the U.S.?
More than likely. The D5 is available on coils IIRC, however to get the off-road pack with it you have to get EAS. However that’s not the case on the Defender you can get whatever you want.

ChasingOurTrunks

It’s kinda funny ASPW’s (4xoverland) main criticism about the New Defender was the lack of coil springs on the 110. This wipes out that argument. If they come out with a longer 130 that retains the spare tire on the back I’ll be 100% sold on it as a replacement for my D3. My only problem is the 110 is just barely big enough for me to sleep in the back of.

Exactly what I was thinking of, ASPW isn’t everyone’s cup of tea (really, who is?) but he’s very knowledgeable about 4x4 touring and so his criticism was on my mind when I said I’d heard they wouldn’t have coils on the 110.

The more we see of JLR’s approach with this new Defender, the more the legitimate critiques get diminished or addressed. It’s only been available to own for a few weeks and the solutions just keep coming — sliders, wheel sizes, and now a coil spring option.

Front bumpers should be right around the corner — I watched PowerfulUKs bumper removal vid and honestly it looks like the aftermarket will have an easier time bolting a bar to the new Defender than they would to many of the ladder frame 4x4s in the market now; so many have oodles of complex plastics that need careful cutting whereas the Defender appears fairly flat and modular.

The final curiosity for me is the claim that they benchmarked the new Defender’s toughness against the Hilux and Land Cruiser. Many say it’s a pipe dream to suggest they succeeded in this respect, but if they did...

....I’ll take one in Gondwana Stone, please! Or maybe Silver? Okay fine! I’ll take one of each!

(One can dream, right?!?)

Carson G

Exactly what I was thinking of, ASPW isn’t everyone’s cup of tea (really, who is?) but he’s very knowledgeable about 4x4 touring and so his criticism was on my mind when I said I’d heard they wouldn’t have coils on the 110.

The more we see of JLR’s approach with this new Defender, the more the legitimate critiques get diminished or addressed. It’s only been available to own for a few weeks and the solutions just keep coming — sliders, wheel sizes, and now a coil spring option.

Front bumpers should be right around the corner — I watched PowerfulUKs bumper removal vid and honestly it looks like the aftermarket will have an easier time bolting a bar to the new Defender than they would to many of the ladder frame 4x4s in the market now; so many have oodles of complex plastics that need careful cutting whereas the Defender appears fairly flat and modular.

The final curiosity for me is the claim that they benchmarked the new Defender’s toughness against the Hilux and Land Cruiser. Many say it’s a pipe dream to suggest they succeeded in this respect, but if they did...

....I’ll take one in Gondwana Stone, please! Or maybe Silver? Okay fine! I’ll take one of each!

I like Andrew and generally agree with him however I wish he would do more research on the new Defender before just writing it off. I mean it pretty much fixes most things he didn’t like about the D4 which he actually liked a lot. Between those two colors I’d go with Gondwana Stone. It looked good in person. I personally would go either Fuji or Yulong White with black alloys. Although I wouldn’t mind a Eiger grey with white steel wheels.

AE56EC72-7BE4-43D0-B6F0-CE1E5937CD85.jpeg

Last edited:

Carson G

It also hasn’t even launched in Australia yet. So I imagine bull bars will be coming.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Does this mean that the 110 would be available with coils in the U.S.?
More than likely. The D5 is available on coils IIRC, however to get the off-road pack with it you have to get EAS. However that’s not the case on the Defender you can get whatever you want.
I wonder if that will be the case in Canada. As far as I know, no coils in Canada. We don't get the base model 110 here.

We also don't get 2WD Rangers or base model Gladiators (most basic is Sport) Manufacturers do weird things so it's tough to tell if Canada applies here too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles