New Defender News

mpinco

Expedition Leader
The Defender P400 MHEV is basically the same as the Evoque MHEV

HYBRID EVOQUE – SO WHAT IS MHEV?

The only difference is the placement of the 48V battery/s.

One item I haven't figure out yet is the power specs and if that relies on the electric motor for "peak" performance. If so I'm thinking you have to derate the P400 MHEV for long hill climbs as the battery charge is depleted.

umbertob

Adventurer
I believe the P400 Defender uses a newer tech MHEV engine, which includes an electric supercharger. It was first used on the Sport last year.

ChasingOurTrunks

The Defender P400 MHEV is basically the same as the Evoque MHEV

HYBRID EVOQUE – SO WHAT IS MHEV?

The only difference is the placement of the 48V battery/s.

One item I haven't figure out yet is the power specs and if that relies on the electric motor for "peak" performance. If so I'm thinking you have to derate the P400 MHEV for long hill climbs as the battery charge is depleted.

Thanks mpinco, that was a very informative link. I’m just a bit confused — when you say “the only difference is the placement of the 48V batteries”, do you mean that both the P400 and the P200 have this mild hybrid system? It is neat tech, but I’m hoping for a more ‘traditional’ motor option that doesn’t have any hybrid features.

umbertob

Adventurer
The P300 engine offered on the base Defender doesn't have any type of EV technology (except for the annoying Stop/Start system, I guess), it's a straight 4 cylinder, 2-liter twin turbocharged engine. Without MHEV, fuel consumption is marginally higher than the i-6 P400 MHEV, and you already know the difference in HP and torque.

ChasingOurTrunks

Thanks umbertob! Good to know.

The MHEV system seems to add even more complexity to the most complex 4x4 available, but otherwise it looks like pretty neat technology with impressive performance enhancement overall. I’ll learn more about it before committing either way.

The MHEV system sounds very similar to the E-torque system on the Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator.

ChasingOurTrunks

Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicle (MHEV) – introduction

The complexity and cost are issues for me. The Defender I6 MHEV cost adder is in the range of $7500 when backing out the other stuff that gets thrown in on "premium". It shouldn't be that high to move from 4cyl to 6 cyl. That to me is an early indication of higher long term maintenance cost, especially when considering all the new subsystems.

Yep - that’s my thinking as well. I’m trying to figure out where the ”better” compromise will be.

1) P400 - good on fuel, gobs of power, and probably a really nice driving experience, and all the reviews are saying that this is the engine to get for performance. However, as you’ve identified, complexity, cost, and long-term viability (Batteries don’t last forever) make it less ideal for remote international touring.

2) P300 - comparable HP, Torque, and 0-60 times of our old Jeep JK Rubicon. Great vehicle and perfectly serviceable, and I like how simple the non-MHEV engine is (relatively speaking). But, at highway speeds the Jeep was a bit of a dog, and it didn’t pass much of anything — other cars nor gas stations If there was a headwind. One of the things we like most about our current rig is that it does not have this disadvantage.

Both options are a compromise in my view. As a daily driver, P400 is the obvious choice for me. As an adventure vehicle, the math switches to the P300 being the obvious one. Thankfully I’m not in a rush - maybe the aftermarket will come to my rescue with MHEV deletes or similar innovations. Thankfully I’m not in a rush to make a decision, and maybe by the time I am at that stage, there will be other engine options available. I’ve put in a request to test out the P300 if one comes in, but I suspect most of the early orders will be P400s so I might be waiting a while.

JackW

Explorer
I've driven a P300 and it was very comfortable at 80 mph with plenty in reserve. It didn't seem sluggish off the line with three of us on board and like you I'm going for the simpler specification. I'd already be driving it if it had the tow package that somehow got deleted from the build so there is one white 110 P300 running around Atlanta with the rear locker on 18" alloys.

Here's "my" Defender being delivered to its new owner after I had to decline it because of the missing Tow package which includes the ATPC pack. It was also missing the roof rack, snorkel, hood decal, fender flares and small mudflaps.

IMG_20200616_125541297~2.jpg

Last edited:

ChasingOurTrunks

I've driven a P300 and it was very comfortable at 80 mph with plenty in reserve. It didn't seem sluggish off the line with three of us on board and like you I'm going for the simpler specification. I'd already be driving it if it had the tow package that somehow got deleted from the build so there is one white 110 P300 running around Atlanta with the rear locker on 18" alloys.

Thank you very much for sharing that! Sorry to hear that they missed the tow package on yours though, that’s bad luck. Still nice to know the motor motes acceptably!

Edit: I see the photo now too — that’s heartbreaking, friend. To wait so patiently for something so cool only to have to decline it, I can only imagine the disappointment.

Last edited:

JackW

Explorer
Yeah that really sucked, so now it's replacement is due around the first of October. I decided to delete the sunroof on the second try as I realize how little I use the one in the D5. The roughsawn ash looked very artificial and much lighter in color than it looks on the configurator too.

DieselRanger

Phew... I almost sold my Compos a few weeks back, figuring I wouldn't need them anymore as my LR4 goes buh bye and the 110 arrives. There's got to be substantial spacers installed back there? We'll see, but that's very good news for P400 owners as there are lots of good quality, 33"dia. tires available in 18". Their rock sliders look pretty sweet and ready for prime time as well.
Lucky for you because I would have bought them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles