New Defender News

DieselRanger

Exactly TFL tired to buy one but couldn’t get one not marked up or with the options they wanted. They said they would be getting there’s at the end of October at the soonest.
My dealer (fairly small market) mentioned they were surprised by a couple deliveries that came in weeks earlier than they had anticipated - the trucks were on a ship going through the Panama Canal even before the anticipated build date. They were possibly pre-COVID cars though, and the dealer sales manager told me they were reducing shifts in Slovakia dedicated to the Discovery in favor of Defender production throughput to catch up. So recall that low *sales* numbers during the COVID months isn't necessarily an indicator of overall demand - every automaker has been suffering.

What would be more telling would be pre-orders. The D5 had 20,000 pre-orders prior to production beginning; mine was about number 29,000 when I got mine in August of 2017, just about 5-6 weeks after the first ones landed in the US.

jmodz

I really like his videos, however I wish he would show the 2dr Jeep I think he is traveling with do the same obstacle and line after he does it in the defender. Depending on who you ask, it might not be an apples to apples comparison, but it would be informative!

Blaise

I really like his videos, however I wish he would show the 2dr Jeep I think he is traveling with do the same obstacle and line after he does it in the defender. Depending on who you ask, it might not be an apples to apples comparison, but it would be informative!

Here's another way to think about it: It's not relevant at all. Both cars can make it to this location. But the defender can make it there, all while not driving like trash on the road.

I do wish he wasn't running lift rods though. I messaged the guy and he says he needed the additional clearance under the truck which doesn't seem to really be the case in this video, but the lack of droop is unfortunate :(

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
That’s a Demo dealer truck. He can’t risk damaging the bodywork. Much like Lucky8 LLC on there Disco five. They don’t wheel it as hard as the other trucks because it can’t take damage because I believe it’s a Lease. I bet that’s why the guy is running the lift rods for the extra clearance.

DieselRanger

That’s a Demo dealer truck. He can’t risk damaging the bodywork. Much like Lucky8 LLC on there Disco five. They don’t wheel it as hard as the other trucks because it can’t take damage because I believe it’s a Lease. I bet that’s why the guy is running the lift rods for the extra clearance.
Take a look at about the 5:40 mark. He showed the tire and rim damage (looks like he will need to replace at least two of his tires). He didn't show the underside of the muffler which you can clearly see move when he tried to center-line a fairly large boulder, which considering his care in taking other obstacles seems like an odd choice.

I think I'd skip the lift rods (he needed them to prevent rubbing with the 275 width 33"tires at full lock) but I would add Lucky8 rock sliders.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I know this is a render and that tire that size will not fit but dang them Big Tire look good on a 90!!!61793699-0537-4A74-A838-92B3EC4F2515.jpeg

DieselRanger

Ok, so they claim no cutting, no grinding, no "nothing", and they got 18" Compys on front and rear, with factory pads, rotors, calipers.

Gotta be a catch but waiting for the deets.

umbertob

Adventurer
Phew... I almost sold my Compos a few weeks back, figuring I wouldn't need them anymore as my LR4 goes buh bye and the 110 arrives. There's got to be substantial spacers installed back there? We'll see, but that's very good news for P400 owners as there are lots of good quality, 33"dia. tires available in 18". Their rock sliders look pretty sweet and ready for prime time as well.

ChasingOurTrunks

Maybe the wisdom of the masses can weigh in here.

I am not in the market today, but I am seriously considering a Defender in a year or two, and I like to understand my options.

I originally spec’d a Defender build with the P200 engine, because I don’t want big wheels. Sounds like the 18” wheels will now fit on the P400. The power of the P400 is very appealing, but there’s certainly nothing wrong with the P200 Specs either. But, I’ve never wanted less power in a motor so the obvious choice is the P400.

However, the P400 is some kind of mild hybrid or something like this? Can anyone give me the “Explain it to a 5 year old” what the real difference is between the P400 motor and the P200 motor, strengths, weaknesses, historical performance in other platforms, etc.?

(I’m in Canada so those are the only two engine options - no oil burner here, nor is there one coming as far as I know but if anyone knows otherwise please set me straight!)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles