New Defender News

catmann

Supposedly LR designed the Defender to accept 33" tires in its stock configuration. That may be based on the stock 255 width, so that would be 255/65/20, but that size does not seem to exist. So, I am guessing that 275/60/20 is going to work, and will be the absolute largest tire to fit without modifications. I think the 295/55/20 will be too wide.

Blaise

Supposedly, yes. Not sure why folks wanna jump to a 33" tho, 32" is PLENTY. I run a 31.5" and haven't found myself needing more tire and the defender has really good geometries.

Bigger tire = bigger clearance, sure.

But bigger tire = more weight, worse handling, higher CG, worse acceleration/braking, higher price, etc etc etc.

Still just hoping you can get a wheel which will accept a proper Duratrac or similar in 18" on the P400 model.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Supposedly, yes. Not sure why folks wanna jump to a 33" tho, 32" is PLENTY. I run a 31.5" and haven't found myself needing more tire and the defender has really good geometries.

But bigger tire = more weight, worse handling, higher CG, worse acceleration/braking, higher price, etc etc etc.

Still just hoping you can get a wheel which will accept a proper Duratrac or similar in 18" on the P400 model.

18's on the P400 is likely the same as 18's on the LR4 - spacers.

merrion13

Main reason is simply tire selection; really tough on the 20s (and impossible with 19" rims) to get a broader selection of tires. I don't like the Goodyear Adventure option from LR, and the Duratracs are going to be louder and noisier for what will be 90% highway / 10% off road. Grabber ATX or KO2 perfect for my needs, I do have the option to look at 275/55 on the 20s which keeps the 32" diameter and slightly increases width. From playing with the measuring tape this morning, that seems like it should fit.

DieselRanger

18's on the P400 is likely the same as 18's on the LR4 - spacers.
Maybe, maybe not. @soflorovers noted in his IG there's something on the front hub-side wheel assembly called a "knuckle extender", which looks like a block of aluminum that takes up quite a bit of room inside the wheel and isn't really connected to anything. Nobody is really sure what it does, but if it's removable it might mean an 18" wheel could be fitted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200612-150839_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200612-150839_Instagram.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45

Blaise

Got a picture?

The rotor diameter seems to be too big to make a 18" possible with a standard wheel due to the dish shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles