New Defender News

And if by "shuttling little Thomas-III to the local prep school," you mean "carrying lifesaving supplies and humanitarian aid across Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia," then yeah, they're really, really good at that. Likewise climbing 12,000 foot passes in mud and over babyheads in mountains from the Rockies to the Karakoram. In fact, that kind of driving is what they are made for.

Bruh, did you mean to post this in the TOYOTA forum? ? ?

Last edited:

soflorovers

Prior to Lucky8's TReK modifications, this was my favorite spec'd D5. Just goes to show that while the aesthetics may not be everyone's cup of tea, the capability is still very much there.

DieselRanger

The capability MAY be there, but the thought process behind this vehicle is non existent. Odd sized wheels, bloated and dated plastic looking body, screens?!, crap plasterd on the body...so lame. Slap in the face to the Defender name.

Yes, I know about the other thread.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Everyone has their own tastes. Nothing wrong with that. I love the look of the old Defender too...almost bought a used, bone-stock 1995 D90 with 45,000 miles on it in 1997, but it was priced at roughly one dollar per mile driven at the time.

I didn't initially like the D5, particularly the back end, but it has grown on me - it looks way better in person than it does in photos. The New Defender will take some time. I'd still like to see one in the flesh...but I don't hate its looks. I particularly like the back end....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

soflorovers

Everyone has their own tastes. Nothing wrong with that. I love the look of the old Defender too...almost bought a used, bone-stock 1995 D90 with 45,000 miles on it in 1997, but it was priced at roughly one dollar per mile driven at the time.

I didn't initially like the D5, particularly the back end, but it has grown on me - it looks way better in person than it does in photos. The New Defender will take some time. I'd still like to see one in the flesh...but I don't hate its looks. I particularly like the back end....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
Pardon my French, but what the actual ********? A D90 for $45,000 in 1997 with 45k miles? I have it on good authority from someone who owns an LR dealer that in the early 90's you could barely give away D90's for MSRP ($27,900 base MSRP in 1994 I believe). At the time, the D1 and Defender were very similar in MSRP, and I don't need to tell you which one sold in greater numbers. While details are scarce, I'm pretty certain LR had to send all the unsold 1997 "NAS Spec" D90's to Japan because they wouldn't be sold in time to comply with the upcoming safety regulations.

DieselRanger

Pardon my French, but what the actual ****? A D90 for $45,000 in 1997 with 45k miles? I have it on good authority from someone who owns an LR dealer that in the early 90's you could barely give away D90's for MSRP ($27,900 base MSRP in 1994 I believe). At the time, the D1 and Defender were very similar in MSRP, and I don't need to tell you which one sold in greater numbers. While details are scarce, I'm pretty certain LR had to send all the unsold 1997 "NAS Spec" D90's to Japan because they wouldn't be sold in time to comply with the upcoming safety regulations.
I ******** you not. This was the Redondo Beach, CA Land Rover dealer, and the Defender had already been announced as discontinued in the US. May have been early 1998 - it was sunny and 70 degrees like it was every day so I don't remember the actual date much less the season. Apparently they saw some opportunity in it. In any case, about three weeks after I passed on it, it was gone from the lot. I ended up buying a new Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.8 for a little more than half that.

Also, at the time, 1988 Porsche 911 Carrera Targa's (air-cooled) were on sale for $35,000 - the example I considered had over 30K miles on it.

Southern California has its own supply and demand calculus. Witness idiots buying new Supras for over $100K just to be the first to have one.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Appears the road is going to get much rougher for JLR and Tata. Tata senior management in disarray.

Tata Loses Court Case in India’s Biggest Corporate Feud
Bloomberg

(Bloomberg) -- Tata Sons Ltd. suffered a shock defeat as an Indian court ordered it to reinstate the chairman it fired in 2016, a ruling that may paralyze the $110 billion conglomerate’s plan to revive growth by selling assets, finding new partners, and cutting costs.

An appeals court on Wednesday said former chairman Cyrus Mistry was improperly ousted from the Tata Group by Ratan Tata, chairman emeritus of the conglomerate, whose actions, the court said, were “oppressive.” It restrained Ratan Tata and his representatives from taking any decision that would require a majority decision by the board of Tata Sons.

Tata Sons, the holding company of the group that also owns the luxury Jaguar and Land Rover brands, has four weeks to appeal the ruling.

The verdict will prompt Tata Sons Chairman Natarajan Chandrasekaran and other leaders to focus on stymieing Mistry’s return. That may jeopardize plans including Jaguar Land Rover’s attempts at finding partners to share the burden of investing in electric vehicles, and Tata Steel Ltd.’s plans to cut 3,000 jobs at its European operations.

“There will be a serious bout of concern and volatility for the group as a whole because many of the large companies are on the cusp of taking some very important decisions,” said Ajay Bodke, chief executive officer at Prabhudas Lilladher Portfolio Management Services. “The current management will not be able to move an inch as far as these decisions are concerned.”..........

Tata was actively seeking JLR partners to defer the cost of further development. This will toss a grenade in those discussions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles