New Defender News

EricTyrrell

Expo God
b2a1742c781a1dec9bec1646c6a38412.jpg

I know it's a film, but is that paint, or did they plow through a dairy farm?

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Hey, there's a separate thread for you elsewhere. To address this point, yes... because this Defender has a 400 HP engine. Want smaller wheels? Go for the smaller powertrain. Anything else?

lol, the IS debate thread? Isn't this the wheel/tire debate thread? That was started by previous poster. Anyways, since when was a Defender sold with a (further) gimped model from the factory? I'm not convinced LR can develop various sophisticated systems, but can't figure out how to make one stop without pushing wheel size.

DieselRanger

Which tire? I just checked the KO2 and KM3. They don't appear to be offered in any 19" size anymore. The KM2 was, briefly. Queue thousands of threads of owners trying to find tires that are worth a damn. Forget global travel, most the of world doesn't carry any of these sizes.

Land Rover is equipping them with Wrangler DuraTracs or Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar from the factory.

That line of reasoning has been parroted a thousand times, but I'm not convinced when full-size trucks with GVWR, towing, and payload capacity rated far higher than these barbie cars, shipped with 16" and 17" wheels from the factory for decades. It's an excuse used by owners to fool themselves into believing LR knows best and their gizmo-wagen is still good for more than shuttling little Thomas-III to the local prep-school .

Yeah, and what's the stopping distance on those full sized trucks? When your $85K fully loaded Redneck Range Rover F350 dually gets cut off in traffic you're going to slam on your brakes just like someone in their $85k RRS or D5 or Defender, both will need a change of pants, but only one will be filing an insurance claim.

Physics is physics bruh.

And if by "shuttling little Thomas-III to the local prep school," you mean "carrying lifesaving supplies and humanitarian aid across Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia," then yeah, they're really, really good at that. Likewise climbing 12,000 foot passes in mud and over babyheads in mountains from the Rockies to the Karakoram. In fact, that kind of driving is what they are made for. You know, Overlanding. The Western US is a walk in the park in comparison.

I see lots of shiny, pinstriped, wrapped, etc Redneck Range Rovers and Mall Crawler Jeeps shuttling Little Dawsons and Madisons to school here in Colorado. Almost none of them have ever seen dirt.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Land Rover is equipping them with Wrangler DuraTracs or Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar from the factory.

That's some supercar ****************. Why is it that nearly any other utility 4x4 can use any number of off the shelf tire sizes, but LR always makes it a pain the ass to fit truly off-road worthy tires of one's choice?

Yeah, and what's the stopping distance on those full sized trucks? When your $85K fully loaded Redneck Range Rover F350 dually gets cut off in traffic you're going to slam on your brakes just like someone in their $85k RRS or D5 or Defender, both will need a change of pants, but only one will be filing an insurance claim.
You really think that trucks, with payload ratings multiples of any LR, are engineered with inadequate brakes? No, quite the opposite is true, obviously. Again, LR can figure out how to make a vehicle stop without pushing wheel size to useless diameters. Engineering is engineering bruh.

And if by "shuttling little Thomas-III to the local prep school," you mean "carrying lifesaving supplies and humanitarian aid across Africa, the Middle East, and South Asia," then yeah, they're really, really good at that. Likewise climbing 12,000 foot passes in mud and over babyheads in mountains from the Rockies to the Karakoram. In fact, that kind of driving is what they are made for. You know, Overlanding. The Western US is a walk in the park in comparison.
It's difficult to speak to your vague expedition where the support system, story, difficulties, successes, etc are all unknown. What I see, is wheels being swapped for Compomotive, which is an automatic fail. If a Land Rover has to swap wheels to go off-road it's a failure, especially a Discovery. A LR2 could be forgiven, sure, but not a Discovery.

I see lots of shiny, pinstriped, wrapped, etc Redneck Range Rovers and Mall Crawler Jeeps shuttling Little Dawsons and Madisons to school here in Colorado. Almost none of them have ever seen dirt.

There's a difference between being both commonly used for a status symbol and hard work, and being nearly exclusively used as a status symbol. Sadly LR has fallen to the latter.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
lol, the IS debate thread? Isn't this the wheel/tire debate thread? That was started by previous poster. Anyways, since when was a Defender sold with a (further) gimped model from the factory? I'm not convinced LR can develop various sophisticated systems, but can't figure out how to make one stop without pushing wheel size.

Here is the thread where these comments should be directedz;

mpinco

Expedition Leader
LOL. Alpine windows are "weird". The rear mounted tire is like a ......... Wrangler.

Where did they get that reviewer from? Clearly this guy knows nothing of LR.........

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Yeah, but if you did that in the previous Defender, you'd have been belly-up in no time at all.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

If that's the definition of the new Luxury Defender, Houston we have a problem. Long gone is the Tread Lightly theme. New theme? "Hey, we can drift through corners now at break neck speed, who cares about the person around the corner on a forest service road!

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Yeah, but if you did that in the previous Defender, you'd have been belly-up in no time at all.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

That doesn't make it the "first off-roading drive". There are dozens of vehicles that can imitate Ken Block. It's nothing unique or needed in a Defender. There are also dozen other vehicles that would be belly-up too, and they should be. It's as ridiculous as Ford trying to turn the Mustang into a rock-crawler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles