New Defender News

mpinco

Expedition Leader
It did do well. Was somewhat surprised at the mediocre fuel mileage on the climb and the relatively high rpm's but overall it did well. Looks like they ran without a WDH. Also, what happened to the Ford brake controller interface that the LR4 supported? The new Defender has none? And as usual Land Rover falls short on towing mirrors which for some reason LR can't figure out.

A.J.M

Explorer
Could he have run at a higher gear for better mpg?
4K rpm is quite high to me.
Would it have still done 60mph in a higher gear and use some more of the torque?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It did do well. Was somewhat surprised at the mediocre fuel mileage on the climb and the relatively high rpm's but overall it did well. Looks like they ran without a WDH.
I've heard people with air suspension (Ram trucks etc) say they can tow without a WDH. No clue if there is any truth to it. I always run a WDH on my truck. (Leafs though, not air)

Carson G

It did do well. Was somewhat surprised at the mediocre fuel mileage on the climb and the relatively high rpm's but overall it did well. Looks like they ran without a WDH. Also, what happened to the Ford brake controller interface that the LR4 supported? The new Defender has none? And as usual Land Rover falls short on towing mirrors which for some reason LR can't figure out.
I think the D5 still has the Ford trailer brake interface, I would imagine the Defender would be the same. I’m sure clearview will eventually come out with replacement tow mirrors just like they did for the LR3/4.

Carson G

Could he have run at a higher gear for better mpg?
4K rpm is quite high to me.
Would it have still done 60mph in a higher gear and use some more of the torque?
At 4K it’s not even making max horse power and it’s about 2k over peak torque so yeah he probably could’ve upshifted.

A.J.M

Explorer
At 4K it’s not even making max horse power and it’s about 2k over peak torque so yeah he probably could’ve upshifted.

Asking as Colorado where they live and film, is over 2000ft higher above sea level than the highest mountain in the U.K.
which is Ben Nevis and one I’ve climbed.

so how the cars behave in high altitude is something I’ll never experience unless I go abroad.

so it could in theory, run a higher gear and ride the torque curve.

Carson G

Asking as Colorado where they live and film, is over 2000ft higher above sea level than the highest mountain in the U.K.
which is Ben Nevis and one I’ve climbed.

so how the cars behave in high altitude is something I’ll never experience unless I go abroad.

so it could in theory, run a higher gear and ride the torque curve.
Yeah probably so. It honestly surprised me a lot we’ve towed about that same weight with our 6.0L V8 powered GMC 3/4 ton up the same grade at half the altitude and it didn’t do near as well. The Ike Gauntlet is over 11,000ft at the end.

Blaise

Gear selection is not going to be the primary driver in fuel consumption.

You need energy to move the weight, and that energy is fuel rate burn. That will either happen at a higher throttle/boost (and thus fuel flow) per rev in a higher gear or a at lower throtte/boost in a lower gear with revs making up the difference.

Parasitic losses from engine revs are relatively low.

Carson G

Gear selection is not going to be the primary driver in fuel consumption.

You need energy to move the weight, and that energy is fuel rate burn. That will either happen at a higher throttle/boost (and thus fuel flow) per rev in a higher gear or a at lower throtte/boost in a lower gear with revs making up the difference.

Parasitic losses from engine revs are relatively low.
Yeah that’s true.

DieselRanger

I know it's a thing, but there are tougher towing hills in Colorado - I-70 and Eisenhower Tunnel are just more accessible from Denver. Drive from Poncha Springs, CO over Monarch Crest on US 50. Higher average grade on US 50 (6.4% vs. 6% on I-70), longer, higher peak, and more elevation gain - what's more is that the curves get tighter as you get higher require braking and then accelerating again, at increasingly higher elevations. Many a Cummins (or their transmission) gets smoked on that climb.

Most vehicle testing actually occurs over Wolf Creek and Monarch passes - occasionally see them over Red Mountain pass but pre-pro vehicles attract a lot of attention on those narrow roads.

naks

Some exciting news for me - a friend has now done 3000km in his new Defender, and now wants to test if off-raod against my RRS.

We are now debating which of these two trails we're going to do: Tierkloof vs Kroonland

The first one has some very technical sections, and my RRS struggles a bit with the one obstacle requiring plenty of rock building, whereas the second one will be very/extremely slippery as it has been raining non-stop for the past week.

That tricked out 90 with full ARB lockers will also be there, along with another new Defender.

decisions, decisions!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior