New Defender News

HUMMER/Expeditions

Umberto
U think u will have the 110 for the coyote flats camping day ?
I am excited to pull you out when you get stuck ;)?
definitely not going through the same way as the last time ?‍♂️
anyone making rock slides for the new defender? Or can it have one ? It doesn’t have a frame to bolt on.

24304D9A-DDF5-4815-A99F-A30C1EC3619E.jpeg5DB2B8A8-B5A7-4CF4-B354-88159EC1635B.jpeg03D609EA-93A5-4545-BD58-F8091C8F07F9.jpeg

umbertob

Adventurer
No. I am tracing the ship it's sailing on (yes, I am pretty anxious to get it), ETA to Port Hueneme is 8/24, so probably early September before I collect it from the dealer in Encino. My old red beast will have to do one more run up to Coyote Flats, lol. Looking forward to it. Lucky8 has sliders seemingly ready for the new Defender.

A.J.M

Explorer
Would interning to see the car in the various terrain response modes.

There is a good video of a D4 on rollers and tested in the various modes.

Lucky8 said the back callipers fit with magic.
So that’s the answer for how they did it.

DieselRanger

More 18” wheel details from Lucky 8 - they got some Tuffant wheels to fit without a spacer, with a caliper swap.

In other news, it appears Tuffant makes D5 compatible 18" steelies for $850/set of 5!?!? Where have they been all my li- Oh, Australia. And they're sold out.

DieselRanger

anyone making rock slides for the new defender? Or can it have one ? It doesn’t have a frame to bolt on.
:unsure:On the contrary, the entire vehicle is a frame. :cool:

I've got bolt on sliders on my D5. They bolt into the mounting points for the factory side steps with six huge bolts, sounds like the Defender has the same capability.
20200627_140125.jpg

ChasingOurTrunks

TFL just posted this video; a few notes to keep in mind when watching:

- The Gladiator Rubicon is described in another build video. It’s twin-locked with a 2.5” Lift (maybe 2”, I’m not 100% sure) with at least 33” tires (Factory tires are 32”, I believe). [EDIT: Thanks to @Carson G; the Gladiator is running on 35” tires]
- The Defender in the video is a First Edition. It’s totally unlocked, and the only mods are a set of KO2s (Nothing fancy, same size as stock just better grip) and a set of lifting rods which, as you’ll hear in the video, “trick” the suspension into thinking it’s on-road height, when it’s actually lifted.

I’m pretty impressed with how well the Defender did. I know it’s just one video, but that Gladiator with all it’s bells and whistles is supposed to be the bees knees off road, and it’s being compared with a Defender that isn’t really properly set up, but the Defender walked up the hill with minimal fuss. Of course, the old Defender — Which is a 90, locked, on 36” tires — did far better, but that’s a highly built machine relative to the others and one would expect it to do so.

I also am curious about the lift rods - I understand what they do, but I don’t fully understand what elements determine how the Defender uses it’s TC system. The TC system seems so good that I wonder if ‘tricking’ it with lift rods may actually make it perform worse than if it’s just left alone — from what I can tell, the lifters make it ride at ‘off road‘ height all the time, but the same height and clearance could be achieved with a button push, right? Unless the lifters allow you to go to max off road height with the button, and then they add an additional bit of clearance? I don’t think that’s the case in this video but I don’t know, Does anyone with more experience with this kind of a mod/suspension system care to weigh in?

Last edited:

ChasingOurTrunks

You have to tilt your phone until the man standing in the background is vertical to compensate for the camera angle.

Still, not bad on road tyres.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

I took the liberty of saving that video and trying to straighten it a bit, and even then, its’ pretty steep. Doubly impressive that this is on street tires. Full credit to someone named @tonyinthedale on Instagram for the original video:

View attachment trim.7C057256-C2AA-487E-A91C-521A7048F515.MOV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94