New Defender News

DieselRanger

Yeah but he did change the engine in the 500,000 mile bracket.
And change that one due to a fault.

Its an ex highway agency car, so it racked up 180,000 miles or so before being sold off.

It now tows a trailer and ships cars up/down the U.K.

Full main dealer history as well I believe as they gave him a car with a tow bar to use when his was in getting sorted.
Wait, wait, wait....he changed the engine after enough miles to circle the equator over twenty times, and that gets a "yeah but..."?

A.J.M

Explorer
Well there wasn’t anything wrong with the engine as far as I remember.
The replacement one, if I remember had a fault and was replaced with another one.

I didn’t understand the need to replace a perfectly working engine but it’s not my car.

my own tdv6 is sitting at a mere 203,924 miles so far.
But it will hopefully be back in action later in the year.

Carson G

Its an ex highway agency car, so it racked up 180,000 miles or so before being sold off.

Full main dealer history as well I believe as they gave him a car with a tow bar to use when his was in getting sorted.
Still a shed load of miles.

soflorovers

You say that "but" as if the achievement of 500k miles isn't impressive by itself lol

A.J.M

Explorer
I did.
Half a million is an impressive figure which I will not deny.

From a personal view, I would have loved to see how far the original engine could go.
Given it was on an impressive service schedule with a trusted main dealer.

so it would have genuine filters, correct oils, and other service and maintenance items when needed.

Almost a perfect candidate to see how far one could go.
As the highway agency would be up/down motorway at 50-60 mph.
Towing a trailer is 60mph max.

i feel it was a shame to replace a fully working engine because of high miles.
Given the replacement didn’t even make its first cam belt change ( 105,000 miles )

Hence my justified “yeah but”;)

Carson G

I did.
Half a million is an impressive figure which I will not deny.

From a personal view, I would have loved to see how far the original engine could go.
Given it was on an impressive service schedule with a trusted main dealer.

so it would have genuine filters, correct oils, and other service and maintenance items when needed.

Almost a perfect candidate to see how far one could go.
As the highway agency would be up/down motorway at 50-60 mph.
Towing a trailer is 60mph max.

i feel it was a shame to replace a fully working engine because of high miles.
Given the replacement didn’t even make its first cam belt change ( 105,000 miles )

Hence my justified “yeah but”;)
I agree it would’ve been neat to see how long it would last.

A.J.M

Explorer
I believe it’s a faulty battery charger that was to blame.

most cars are hooked up to one to keep them happy as they have lights etc on at the dealer and people coming in to see them.

Carson G

So I’ve heard that the Gap tool will be compatible with the Defender before too much longer. Which if it works like the pathfinder diagnostic system you should be able to enable TR2 and ATPC etc. I believe retrofitting the locking rear diff is an option as well.

DieselRanger

It's a little bit more complicated to enable the hidden options.

See this topic:

The points regarding the dealer reflashing CCFs when it detects a VIN mismatch with enabled features should be emphasized. JLR will absolutely go after this "Mo" jabroney for theft of intellectual property, especially since the CCFs are code-signed and he would need a valid key from the factory to enable the onboard system to accept his "hacked" copy. Which means he or an accomplice would need to steal it. And the OP straight up uses the word "hacked".

That said, doubtful the new GAP tool will come with any features that "unlock" unpurchased features. But to change programmed behaviors within the bounds of allowed performance, sure.

Why not just try to go back to the dealer, crack open your wallet, and say, "hey, I changed my mind, I'd like just the active diff to be added, what's it gonna be?" and see what they say?

Carson G

The points regarding the dealer reflashing CCFs when it detects a VIN mismatch with enabled features should be emphasized. JLR will absolutely go after this "Mo" jabroney for theft of intellectual property, especially since the CCFs are code-signed and he would need a valid key from the factory to enable the onboard system to accept his "hacked" copy. Which means he or an accomplice would need to steal it. And the OP straight up uses the word "hacked".

That said, doubtful the new GAP tool will come with any features that "unlock" unpurchased features. But to change programmed behaviors within the bounds of allowed performance, sure.

Why not just try to go back to the dealer, crack open your wallet, and say, "hey, I changed my mind, I'd like just the active diff to be added, what's it gonna be?" and see what they say?
The gap tool has been able to modify CCF’s on other models so I wouldn’t be surprised if they do in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles