New Defender News

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Oh I know mate. It’s just sad for them.

on unrelated topic..
Has the Winter OJ issue been posted out?
Not seen the US one land on my Scottish door step yet.
( that should give you a massive clue for who I am ) :LOL:

No clue - it's a different department...

:)

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Defender going down-market

- Smaller
- FWD/AWD
- £25,000
- Smaller / Lighter
- Emissions driven
- Volume space ( Jeep Compass, Mini Countryman, Volkswagen Tiguan, BMW X1 and Volvo XC40 )
- Slovakian factory to manage labor cost
- Lower overall cost

And up-market as a Evoque styled Defender:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-£25k-land-rover-be-followed-luxo-defender

Luxo-Defender

".......Meanwhile, the luxurious, fourth model in the Defender line-up is said to be a full four years away from being unveiled. It is expected to make its debut as a pure-electric model with sharper and leaner styling as well as a highly luxurious interior and a price well into six figures........."

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Apples and oranges. If you do not understand the difference and the reasons why, then it is probably not worth the effort trying to explain.
I remember people saying that when the LR3 came out. ?‍♂️ but yes Apples and Oranges, like Discoveries and Defenders...

DieselRanger

I know I'm probably driving with computer technology from the dark ages, but am I alone in letting the vehicle systems boot-up by turning on the ignition and waiting for the systems-check to complete before firing it up? Definitely seems to result in fewer spurious error codes to clear.
Unless I'm in a hurry, I usually wait for the cold idle speed to settle down, by then all the stuff has booted up.

But until LG and Blackberry and a select few others recently, infotainment and vehicle control system back end hardware wasn't made by companies that specialize in mobile computing. The hardware is engineered and built by people who design automotive systems and components such as Delco and Bosch, and that's not where the innovation is happening in mobile computing. So it's to be expected that you're not going to get the user experience you expect from, say, an iPhone...but unfortunately that's what most consumers today expect when they see acres of screens in new premium vehicles. And perhaps unfortunately, most consumers expect to see acres of screens in new premium vehicles.

On top of that you have aging standards that can't keep up with the explosion of data and communications both onboard and offboard.

But I think in 5 years we won't be seeing the kinds of electrical gremlins that generate the majority of complaints in new cars today.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
For the motorheads familiar with history the current electrification disruption and associated issues feels like "the 70s" when emissions requirements began. Took a while for the industry to accomodate the changes. ....... History repeats.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Heard on here by some troll that the new Defender won't be running in 5 years, hmmmmm. I have an '07 LR3 that has been running for, well, you do the math.

Carson G

Heard on here by some troll that the new Defender won't be running in 5 years, hmmmmm. I have an '07 LR3 that has been running for, well, you do the math.
I mean my LR3 is coming up on 15 and I drove one last month that’s coming up on 16. Honestly I’d be surprised if my LR3 doesn’t make it to at least 25.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Maintained LR3/4 should be good for 300-400K miles or more. Once a vehicle is older than 20 years parts actually get easier to find as the secondary market kicks in. Same with the new Defender. Same with full size RRs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier