New Defender News

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Why do they depreciate like that? I think I know the answer....;)

"......The 2016 is our top pick for the best model year value for the Land Rover vehicles. With the 2016, you would only pay, on average, 46% of the price as new, with 67% of the vehicle's useful life remaining.

The 2015 and 2017 model years are also attractive years for the Land Rover models, and provide a relatively good value. Our rankings consider multiple factors, including original new prices, current prices, maintenance costs and remaining years of overall predictabe expenses......."

DieselRanger

So Jezza is saying to buy a Hilux or a Range Rover over the defender???
As he said, if you want a farm implement to haul hay bales and (dead) sheep, yes. Since Land Rover hasn't made farm implements in decades - even the last generation of Defender at the end of its life was far more upmarket than the Series I machines and pre-Defender-named 90/110/130 models into the early 1980s - this is an obvious conclusion.

ChasingOurTrunks

One things for sure the new defenders will not be repaired "in the field".

I agree with Carson G that it very much depends on what breaks, and it was ever thus. In addition, we often don't give enough credit to how much more reliable the complexity of computers has made our vehicles -- yes they are a bit harder to fix, and they can't always be made right with chewing gum, a buff, and a good attitude, but they tend to break a lot less in general than the "simple" cars of old. This is true for other vehicles too -- My motorbike has over 6 figures on the odometer (a feat that would require engine rebuilds for my father's generation of motorbikes), and while it's very complex with sensors, ECUs, and digital stuff, it's also very field-repairable. I just need to have the right tools with me, which in the case of my bike (and the Defender) includes some kind of computer (i.e. a smartphone). Where the Defender has a few gaps is in the software -- but, my bike experienced the same gap when it first came out, and the aftermarket responded with affordable software to service the vehicle. I'm sure the Defender, with it's following, will have a similar aftermarket solution eventually.

However, your comment has reminded me of one of the more positive takeaways from the TFL saga that has not yet been mentioned (that I saw). I promise I'm not just wearing rose-coloured glasses with this thing -- they should never have been in this situation with a brand new vehicle, and there's no debate there.

But, the TFL guys experienced a problem serious enough to apparently require a totally new motor, and yet the Defender made it back to the dealer under its own power. It did not trigger a limp home mode, and it did not just "sit down" at the first sign of a problem. Translated to "real world" applications, that's actually good news. I was genuinely worried about getting stranded in the event of an issue, but I'm less worried now. This has not been true for all JLR vehicles; I have personal experience with a Jag that would sit down and not move anytime there was a trouble code, for instance, and I know that's not unique as I've heard of similar stories from other brands as well. Again, it shouldn't have happened after 150 miles or whatever. But, all vehicles break eventually -- imagine a Defender after 200k miles on it throwing a similar code while you are in the "back-of-beyond" due to a failed coil or plug. It's' reassuring to have some evidence that when the vehicle fails, it will at least get you to the "front of beyond" and not leave you stranded. This is a case study of one, so it's far from conclusive, but it's still reassuring in a way and sheds a tiny bit of light on the "how it breaks" question.

I did not listen to/watch the full 50 minutes of that TFL podcase -- if someone has and can post up any "new info" or a summary that would be super handy.

Carson G

I agree with Carson G that it very much depends on what breaks, and it was ever thus. In addition, we often don't give enough credit to how much more reliable the complexity of computers has made our vehicles -- yes they are a bit harder to fix, and they can't always be made right with chewing gum, a buff, and a good attitude, but they tend to break a lot less in general than the "simple" cars of old. This is true for other vehicles too -- My motorbike has over 6 figures on the odometer (a feat that would require engine rebuilds for my father's generation of motorbikes), and while it's very complex with sensors, ECUs, and digital stuff, it's also very field-repairable. I just need to have the right tools with me, which in the case of my bike (and the Defender) includes some kind of computer (i.e. a smartphone). Where the Defender has a few gaps is in the software -- but, my bike experienced the same gap when it first came out, and the aftermarket responded with affordable software to service the vehicle. I'm sure the Defender, with it's following, will have a similar aftermarket solution eventually.
One big advantage the Defender has over the older modern LR’s even the last puma Defenders is the ability to be remotely diagnosed as long as you have a cell signal. I was also impressed it wasn’t in limp mode considering half the engine was misfiring.

Last edited:

Zinhead

MY21 will have 'Intelligent' AWD: "Permanent All Wheel Drive is standard on Land Rover Defender except for those fitted with the new D300 6-cylinder engine. The D300 engine features Intelligent All Wheel Drive for greater fuel efficiency utilizing Two Wheel Drive capability where appropriate."

attachment.php

How does this differ from the current 2020 models?

JackW

Explorer
That sucks - one of the main reasons I've been driving modern Land Rovers for the last thirty years is the full time awd system. In heavy rain I like the feel of having traction at both axles. That makes me especially glad I've got a 2020 version. If I want rear wheel drive I'll drive one of my Series IIA's. The minor improvement in fuel mileage is not worth the added complication of two additional clutches.

DieselRanger

Read your link again. LR is most definitely NOT moving to FWD for fuel economy.

What is happening is that now the FRONT axles can be fully disconnected when driving on dry roads, making it RWD just like a Jeep Wrangler or any number of old school 4WD vehicles.

The difference is, you no longer have to throw a lever or push a button after shifting into neutral in order to engage 4WD high, the electronics do that for you, or you can manually select one of the special drive modes which will engage the center diff in slip or full locking modes as they operate today.

DieselRanger

That sucks - one of the main reasons I've been driving modern Land Rovers for the last thirty years is the full time awd system. In heavy rain I like the feel of having traction at both axles. That makes me especially glad I've got a 2020 version. If I want rear wheel drive I'll drive one of my Series IIA's. The minor improvement in fuel mileage is not worth the added complication of two additional clutches.
Read his link again. Carefully.

JackW

Explorer
No the D300 gets torque on demand, other models get front axle disconnect from what I see in the 21MY diagrams. In both models there is a drive disconnect clutch in the right front axle which whispers future weak point to me.

Carson G

No the D300 gets torque on demand, other models get front axle disconnect from what I see in the 21MY diagrams. In both models there is a drive disconnect clutch in the right front axle which whispers future weak point to me.
Yeah your right I just looked at that link that’s disappointing. I guess I’ll be buying a used 2020 then.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Read your link again. LR is most definitely NOT moving to FWD for fuel economy........

FWD is on the roadmap for smaller lighter more fuel efficient products. There will be iterations of product features across the product line, from FWD baby defenders / small SUVs to full size selectable 4WD.

At some point electric motors will need to be added to the product line. Keeping each motor independent is probably the best path.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior