New Commander

Scott Brady

Founder
John,

The new electric version of the Jeep lockers will send 100% of the power to all tires.

After seeing a few Commanders at SEMA with some mods, I am warming up to the platform. I also sat in one, and spent some time in it. The interior is very nice, and has good ergo.

IMG_2335.JPG

IMG_2339.JPG

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
John,

The new electric version of the Jeep lockers will send 100% of the power to all tires.

After seeing a few Commanders at SEMA with some mods, I am warming up to the platform. I also sat in one, and spent some time in it. The interior is very nice, and has good ergo.

IMG_2335.JPG

IMG_2339.JPG

WOW! I thought they listed them as LSD's?

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
John,

Just looked over specs and info on the Commander? Nowhere could I find that Jeep states the diffs are locking. They say they are electronically controlled LSD's. That's not a locker. ???????

Last edited:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
ShottsCruisers said:
Just looked over specs and info on the Commander? Nowhere could I find that Jeep states the diffs are locking. They say they are electronically controlled LSD's. That's not a locker. ???????

That is correct. The Wrangler Rubicon is the only Jeep model equipped with a differential that provides a 100% lock.

I watched them demonstrate their "Quadradrive" (or whatever its called) system during the debut of the WJ Grand Cherokee platform. On a closed course, they drove the Grand Cherokee up a slight uphill grade. Small roller platforms were strategically placed in an alternating manner so that only one tire on each axle would have positive traction during ascent. As soon as the Jeep encountered the rollers, it would lose traction and stop for a second - but then the drive power would visibly redirect to the opposing wheels on each axle, and the Jeep would continue with relatively little effort.

Certainly not a locker - more like a glorified LSD, but it still seemed relatively effective. Seemed a bit more intelligent than a plain old LSD. :)

Scott Brady

Founder
The differentials in the quadra-trac II use 12v electricity to lock the clutches electronically in the differentials. The locking effect is variable from 0-100%.

I have their technical engineering specification.

This is the same type of system used in the LR3.

I will say though, that the holding power of the magnetic clutch must have a limit, so fitting larger tires, or certain terrain charactoristics would likely result in the clutch sliping. Physics are what they are...

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
I will say though, that the holding power of the magnetic clutch must have a limit, so fitting larger tires, or certain terrain charactoristics would likely result in the clutch sliping. Physics are what they are...

Exactly my thought. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94