New Commander

lionsbreath

Adventurer
The Commander was tested on the Rubicon as well as all other jeep models. H3 and H2 are tested on the Rubicon as well and from the factory the Comander/ Grand Cher. (same platform) have mor front wheel travel than the last model Grand Cher.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1453498187975.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1453498187975.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1

Scott Brady

Founder
I priced one out on the web last night, and they are very expensive. Nearly 40k to get the required off-highway goodies. Not interested any longer, though I will test one to rate it performance.

For 40k I can buy a 2003 Land Cruiser. No Brainer IMO.

+ d

Adventurer
is it just me or...
commanderbot5hx.jpg

is the commander a big friendly robot head?

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
goodtimes said:
I would like "trail rated" better if it was on a different vehicle. I just don't like the deal with skipping out on the long standing tradition of having a vehicle being proven on the Rubicon trail to be replaced with a marketing gimmick. BTW, I think I'm gonna order some "mall rated" stickers for my jeep....I'm just wierd like that.....

Hey Brian, please send me a Mall-Rated sticker for my 100, will ya? :hehe:

Attachments

• shotts_sof.jpg
    shotts_sof.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 65

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Scott, Good question, glad you asked. Here it is, the official Datrupr impression on the Commander.

Lets start with the styling. I really feel that the styling of the Commander leaves a lot to be desired. It has, IMO, a really........odd........look to it. I think it is in the realm of most new car styling, you either love it or hate it. As I just stated, I don't like the way it looks. Ground clearance in the stock form on the 4WD looks adequate for a stock vehicle, but it was hard to get a good perspective as all the 4X4's I saw had step bars on them, or at least the ones I remember. There did not appear to be too much hanging down on the underside though, which is a good thing as it has 4 wheel independant suspension. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on anything Joe, as it was a couple of weeks ago and my memory is fading. The overall size I would say is ideal for expedition duty, roughly the size of an 80 series cruiser.
Interior wise is slightly a different story. Sitting in the drivers seat leaves little to be desired. The seats are comfy with fairly good support, but I can see them getting a little tireing on long trips. They have decent bolstering for trail duty and should hold the driver in place fairly well. I have to say, I love the dash lay out. IMO it is the best part of the vehicle. All the controls are well placed and thought out with decent visibility and pretty easy to operate without having to take your eyes off the road for very long. That, and the styling is really cool. On the upscale model that I looked at it had redundant stereo controls on the steering wheel which makes most used functions convenient. I really liked the on board Nav system, but it looks like it might take a little bit of practice to learn and control with ease. There is plenty of room in the front seats for even large drivers and passengers to be comfortable and still leave decent room in the second row. The third row needs to just go away. Access to to the third row looks to be a challenge even for children, and when up there is not even enough room to let the cat have a comfortable space in the cargo area. Also when up, there is no visibility what so ever to the rear. Which does make the defeatable parking assist a must. The best part of the third row is the ease of use when folding down, and the fact that they do fold flat. Overall, the visibility is a bit hindered with a smaller than what I am used to greenhouse matched with very oversized A, B, and C pillars housing the full side curtain airbag system. I did not drive it though so I can not give you my impression of road manners and power delivery, but if you would like a more in depth review just let me know and I will be happy to take one for a spin for the good of all of our members and guests.
On another note, the command trac four wheel drive system sounds pretty cool. If that system works properly I don't think the vehicle would ever have a need for lockers. It works by transfering power to the wheels that have the traction. So, in theory if you had three wheels off the ground all of the power would be distributed to the one wheel on the ground to provide traction to get you off or over that particular obstical. If it works as well as it sounds DC just may have something. I wonder if Joe will us take one on the Land Rover test track up the street?

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Aaron,

Thanks so much for the review. I was really bummed when I found the sticker price. That vehicle is going to need heavy discounts to be competitive.

Too bad...

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Scott, I agree, I think that it is a bit on the pricey side. To get it outfitted with all the right options it could easily top $40K.

Scott Brady

Founder
yeah... You can buy a two year old Land Cruiser for that, which is 50x the vehicle. I can't believe they didnt put the 2.8L CRD in it... That would have got my interest.

If the Trooper goes, right now my choice would be a 2002 4Runner or 2002 Land Cruiser.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
yeah... You can buy a two year old Land Cruiser for that, which is 50x the vehicle. I can't believe they didnt put the 2.8L CRD in it... That would have got my interest.

If the Trooper goes, right now my choice would be a 2002 4Runner or 2002 Land Cruiser.

I've read a couple reviews dogging the 2.8CRD. Powerless, gas hog, etc.?

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 1
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 1
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 1

kcowyo

ExPo Original
ShottsCruisers said:
I've read a couple reviews dogging the 2.8CRD. Powerless, gas hog, etc.?

Don't believe it. Go drive one.

The initial fuel estimates were revised from 21/26 to 20/25 after their release. The power should please anyone unless they're comparing it to a full size truck diesel, ie Powerstroke, Cummins, or Duramax. The power to weight ratio is very good and the turbo lag is no more than one would find in a full size diesel.

Quiet, peppy and doesn't smoke or wreak like the familiar diesel offerings.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
kcowyo said:
Don't believe it. Go drive one.

The initial fuel estimates were revised from 21/26 to 20/25 after their release. The power should please anyone unless they're comparing it to a full size truck diesel, ie Powerstroke, Cummins, or Duramax. The power to weight ratio is very good and the turbo lag is no more than one would find in a full size diesel.

Quiet, peppy and doesn't smoke or wreak like the familiar diesel offerings.

Here's a few links for you all:

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/content/display_report.jsp?WebLogicSession=Q1aUvG9C0Ibbpm3PtZkcOsr6lQk4vvn47skslf132XoJRtfexykv|-7232043187596666948/169937909/6/7005/7005/7002/7002/7005/-1|-8923328724342289482/169937910/6/7005/7005/7002/7002/7005/-1&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=772771&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=389451&bmUID=1129747644984

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef1454f/2158

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94