new Chevy Colorado

Kaisen

Explorer
Let's hope the Diesel engine will do better.

When the diesel gets the same 20% better (25 mpg freeway + 20% = 5 mpg = 30 mpg freeway) Expo members will freak the ****** out!
Yet a 20% gain on a gasser is *yawn* ??

And then we get to pay 20% more $$$ for diesel and the net gain is..... zero

ihatemybike

Explorer
Where the heck are you finding diesel for 20% (roughly $.70) more than regular? I don't think I have seen diesel even close to 20% over. A quick check on GasBuddy for my area shows diesel $.08-.25 more per gallon, so roughly 2-7% more per gallon.

On the highway, my wife's lifted Liberty 3.7 L gets 18 mpg, a friend's lifted Liberty 2.8 L CRD (Eco Tune - Green Diesel Engineering) gets 28 mpg. 55% increase in mileage and range. I really wish the CRDs were in our price range when we bought our Liberty.

Terex

Adventurer
Where the heck are you finding diesel for 20% (roughly $.70) more than regular? I don't think I have seen diesel even close to 20% over. A quick check on GasBuddy for my area shows diesel $.08-.25 more per gallon, so roughly 2-7% more per gallon.

On the highway, my wife's lifted Liberty 3.7 L gets 18 mpg, a friend's lifted Liberty 2.8 L CRD (Eco Tune - Green Diesel Engineering) gets 28 mpg. 55% increase in mileage and range. I really wish the CRDs were in our price range when we bought our Liberty.

In a lot of areas it's $.40-$.50 more a gallon. Look at major cities across US on gas buddy. I just drove from NJ to WA to NM and it's usually a pretty big difference on those big truck stop signs posted on the interstates.

Kaisen

Explorer

According to eia.gov, in 2013 the national average price for regular unleaded gasoline was $3.443, and diesel was $3.922

A 20% premium over $3.443 regular unleaded would be $0.69 per gallon, and the real average over the whole year was only $0.48, so you're right.
Except for areas where they blend fuel for Winter months, where the annual average difference was $0.63 (roughly a dollar more per gallon last Winter). Close enough.

But whatever, I'm sure personal anecdotes are much more powerful than data.

Kaisen

Explorer
Of course who knows what next year will bring..... could be a lot more (that's the trend) or the gap may shrink. The point is, diesel is more expensive than gasoline. And that negates some of the benefit.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Maybe we just have too much tax on petroleum in my area. I passed a station this morning with Reg $3.599, Diesel $3.479 and have often seen the price of Diesel less than regular here in Chicagoland.

Most vehicles that I've researched petroleum vs diesel, the diesels have a greater percentage of additional mileage than percentage of additional fuel cost. The only downside I've seen to purchasing a diesel is the additional cost of the engine, but they are usually known for their longevity and higher resale. Diesels also have the benefit of being able to burn homemade bio-diesel or be fitted with a heated veggie oil fuel system. My brother is in the process of converting an international chassis bus into an RV and will have a couple big veggie oil tanks under it with onboard filtration. We've read where people have gone coast to coast having only filled their diesel tank once, filling up their veggie tanks (with permission) at various restaurants.

I'm a bit of an fuel economy geek. GasBuddy and Fuelly are heavily used by me. I do what I consider a light version of hypermiling, my van Green is averaging just over 20 mpg intra-urban driving, it's rated at 14c/18h/16c. I'd love to put a small turbo-diesel in it, fairly certain that I'd be able to get over 25 mpg, possibly as high as 30 highway.

What?!? The Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 4 cylinder automatic 4x4 is rated 18/21 versus the Chevy Colorado 2.5L 4cyl auto 4x4 is rated 19/25 ... I think 4 mpg difference on the freeway is a HUGE difference (20%!!)

While these may be the EPA numbers my 2.7l access cab Tacoma gets 23-25 consistently on the highway and never sees less than 21 with mixed driving. Given EPA numbers are typically higher than real world numbers I don't think the Colorado will win in the area. The Colorado does have a few more numbers in the HP and Torque department though so that's nice. I'm ready for them to release the official diesel specs.

Except for you, of course. Because, Toyota
Meh, it is what it is. I'm not what you would call a Toyota fan boy. I'm following this thread looking to get out of my Tacoma.

Actually I have noticed that today's EPA ratings tend to be lower then what we see real world.
That's great, haven't had that experience but I've haven't been paying much attention since I bought my Taco in '07. Everything I had before that seemed to get 3-4 mpg less than EPA numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles