New Carbon Fiber EarthRoamer

38snubby

Smurf,
That is one nice looking rig, congrats on the find and getting it to the US. If I ever wanted to upgrade to a true big rig for full-timing, it would be logical to look at 2nd hand euro-made models. One question: how do you plan to do the maintenance, find parts and service for the MAN engine, chassis, etc.? Have fun and safe adventures with the family.

Not sure about the chassis but getting engine parts shouldn't be hard as MAN diesels are common in the marine industry in the US.

smurf40

Observer
I’m Canadian, so we have the 15 year import rule vs 25 for importing a rig. Mine isn’t quite there so I’m keeping it abroad a bit longer (except for this summer I did travel across Canada) The truck blew a serpentine belt on my hydraulic pump for my winches. Belt flapped around and damaged a few things. Honestly I think something else got up in there as I had a broken fan blades, wires to my fan clutch and even a damaged pulley (just some burring). Nice thing was the truck ran fine (except for the dash codes) and I was able to finish my trip. At home I had a look and decided what I needed. Unicat had MAN call me and we discussed a few codes etc on the dash and Literally 3 days later I had a box of MAN parts. I went to a very “backyard” shop who works on semis that I have used in the past. It was very easy for his guys. No issues what so ever. Honestly, most shops need to order parts even for our domestic stuff (freightliner etc) Obviously a major break down would be harder as you may need several shipments to satisfy the parts list once you start digging in, but that’s the price you pay having a truck like this in North America. Rest of the world, there are dealers but I’m still assuming is likely have to order some bits. Break downs suck on any vehicle.

gregmchugh

Observer
View attachment 556757

Been there in the Heffalump too!
Truck is for sale. ( carbon fiber free version)

Looked through your build thread, nice job on upgrading the cabin. Good luck with the sale, I would think it would sell quickly...

By the way, getting simple engine parts for US trucks is not always easy, the serpentine belt shredded on our Kenworth K-370 (US version of the DAF LF) inside Denali NP on the way out from Teklinika campground. I was not carrying a spare at that point (on the list of spares to buy at the next visit to a Kenworth dealer) and after being towed to Fairbanks it took a few days to get a replacement serpentine belt sent up from Anchorage. None were available anywhere in Fairbanks. Carry several spares now. Serpentine belt failures are pretty common in Alaska with travel on gravel roads throwing up stuff everywhere including under the serpentine belt.

Joe917

Explorer
Looked through your build thread, nice job on upgrading the cabin. Good luck with the sale, I would think it would sell quickly...

By the way, getting simple engine parts for US trucks is not always easy, the serpentine belt shredded on our Kenworth K-370 (US version of the DAF LF) inside Denali NP on the way out from Teklinika campground. I was not carrying a spare at that point (on the list of spares to buy at the next visit to a Kenworth dealer) and after being towed to Fairbanks it took a few days to get a replacement serpentine belt sent up from Anchorage. None were available anywhere in Fairbanks. Carry several spares now. Serpentine belt failures are pretty common in Alaska with travel on gravel roads throwing up stuff everywhere including under the serpentine belt.
Thanks, and yes the truck is back in Canada, 1993 so importable to USA.
We had a failure of the viscous fan clutch in Alaska. It is not a common part even for Mercedes, ordered it to Pacific Power Group in Anchorage no problem. It took a week which just happened to be the week we were in Brooks Camp. Sometimes you get lucky. BTW PPG can order any Mercedes Truck parts.

gregmchugh

Observer
Thanks, and yes the truck is back in Canada, 1993 so importable to USA.
We had a failure of the viscous fan clutch in Alaska. It is not a common part even for Mercedes, ordered it to Pacific Power Group in Anchorage no problem. It took a week which just happened to be the week we were in Brooks Camp. Sometimes you get lucky. BTW PPG can order any Mercedes Truck parts.

The Kenworth K-370 is an oddball since it is a blend of DAF parts and standard Kenworth parts. Dealers have to use two separate parts databases and many are not familiar with the DAF system. And ours was converted to 4wd so some more non-standard but readily available additional parts in the 4wd system.

lucilius

My words!
Victorian,
Total Composites is a good website with some items worth checking out for anyone building/upgrading their camper. Very interested in the windows. One question, is everything you sell designed in Germany and made in China? I'm especially interested in the windows, Thanks.

Last edited:

smurf40

Observer

Interesting, I’m thinking that’s what happened to mine. The pulley damage (mild) made me think something got up in there. Makes sense as I had done a fair bit off off-road right around that time. Nice rig you have.

gregmchugh

Observer
Interesting, I’m thinking that’s what happened to mine. The pulley damage (mild) made me think something got up in there. Makes sense as I had done a fair bit off off-road right around that time. Nice rig you have.

Thanks but for the money spent I think you came out well ahead in terms of value for money spent... :)

DzlToy

Explorer
wow, this thread sure went off the rails rather quickly.

For those shredding serpentine belts, Gates and several other manufacturers, offer them with Kevlar threads. If you look really hard, you may find one made from carbon fiber :D

lucilius

Victorian,
Total Composites is a good website with some items worth checking out for anyone building/upgrading their camper. Very interested in the windows. One question, is everything you sell designed in Germany and made in China? I'm especially interested in the windows, Thanks.
Repeating my ? about Total Composites: still curious about the windows as I am looking to replace and wondering if your Chinese manufacturing is top notch vs something made in the West. Your website provides some info but not too comprehensive for a potential buyer, likely I am looking in the wrong place. In my experience, finding something reliable and durable made in China can be problematic. I've looked into your website more, is the Planar heater a licensed Espar product? It appears to be identical. Thanks for any info.

lucilius

wow, this thread sure went off the rails rather quickly.

For those shredding serpentine belts, Gates and several other manufacturers, offer them with Kevlar threads. If you look really hard, you may find one made from carbon fiber :D
That is truly funny, [i apologize for the Total Composite questioning on this Earthroamer LTi thread and in the spirit of getting back on track] I hope the LTi Earthroamers will not have issues like this rear axle that caught fire and the whole wheel nearly coming off on the road in Costa Rica:
Thankfully, no one hurt but looks like the truck (damn, looks like it was a brand new one) has been sitting for a couple of weeks getting fixed, hopefully they get back to their trip quickly. Anyone know if carbon fiber is better in a vehicle fire than fiberglass?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles