New Carbon Fiber EarthRoamer

gregmchugh

Observer
The Bliss Mobil guy at Overland Expo East mentioned that there was some talk about importing a couple hundred Unimogs to the USA and that they could be used for their camper boxes. Who knows if or when that might happen, but it was interesting to note that they at least had a vehicle at the show. A nice, well designed box also.

That would be an interesting development if Daimler resumed exporting Unimogs to the US....

D

Deleted member 9101

It is actually depressing to think about. Why are they not here? This is a big market so they could destroy what little competition is here.

A big chunk of it is cost. For 30k I can get a travel trailer with 2x the space and comfortably sleep 8 adults. It has an indoor and out door kitchen as well as a pretty good sized bathroom. While the build quality isn't nearly as high, most people don't use a camper often enough for it to matter...lol

Another big factor is most American's simply don't need an off road camper. In some states (Florida for example) it would be completely worthless.

gregmchugh

Observer
I think the bottom line is simple, there simply isn’t a very big market for a large cab forward truck chassis with 4wd. How many of these do you think would be sold in the US?

The Unimog is an oddball with lots of applications besides expedition vehicles which would be a small part of that market. I don’t think the Unimog is really the ideal chassis for most Expedition truck buyers who are not typically going to use the off-road capabilities to make it worth the added cost and complexity vs a more basic 4wd cab forward truck with the same GVWR.

smurf40

Observer
Hi Guys,

I’ve recently purchased a used Unicat / MAN combo from Germany and am very pleased with it. I’ve been around many of the North American rigs and manufactures of camper boxes and thought about all of them as options. Except for the idea of building one out myself, I’d certainly think about having a finished expedition box built abroad, and send your chassis of choice over to Europe to have them mate it up. If anyone is seriously interested in chatting about a Unicat Camper Box on a USA chassis or even an old refurbished European chassis, drop me a line. Their workmanship and quality is really second to none.

gregmchugh

Observer
Hi Guys,

I’ve recently purchased a used Unicat / MAN combo from Germany and am very pleased with it. I’ve been around many of the North American rigs and manufactures of camper boxes and thought about all of them as options. Except for the idea of building one out myself, I’d certainly think about having a finished expedition box built abroad, and send your chassis of choice over to Europe to have them mate it up. If anyone is seriously interested in chatting about a Unicat Camper Box on a USA chassis or even an old refurbished European chassis, drop me a line. Their workmanship and quality is really second to none.

Very good, can you show some photos of the rig?

gungriffin

The lack of options ultimately comes down to one issue. There isn't the market that we would like to believe that there is. If there was, there would be trucks. It does seem that demand is picking up as Overlanding is becoming a mainstream concept.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
SiZe will become more and more a real consideration for many buyer's in the Overland, RV and Outfitter markets. The fat 55+ and up crowd (Boomer's) want size and comfort as that's what everything in their lives has revolved around and they can afford it. Since they have all the money the bigger the better! The younger crowd who will spend money much quicker with little thought or consideration when compared to the "Boomer's" are all about things smaller with better design and loaded with technology.

The RV industry certainly has taken note of the fact as the towable's market offerings overall has gone SMALLER in size to meet the demands of the younger buyer. The smaller towable RV market was the segment with the largest increases during 2016-2018 and the also largest segment with the least amount of sales loss in 2019. If you think that will change I suggest you will be sadly mistaken!

With younger people all about the outdoors and outdoor activity the younger folks are the market segment you as a purveyor of products in the RV, Outfitter and Overland market want to be selling and marketing to. All you had to do was look at the vast majority attendees and vendors at the Overland Presentations at SEMA. Look at the ages of the audience and what did ya see? Young and younger with the Hosts being the old folks.

The Earthcruiser EXP from Oregon that was shown at SEMA was as large as anyone really needs to be comfortable and travel. Standing around listening to those people who looked at it tells the tale. The old folks said it was neat however way to small the travel in. The young folks comments I heard were FINALLY someone was building a high end, very capable and expensive unit that's the right size or could maybe even be just a little bit smaller!

Last edited:

smurf40

Observer
On another note, Unicat has also built a carbon fiber truck box, and is certainly shifting that way as well if demand calls for it.

lucilius

Smurf,
That is one nice looking rig, congrats on the find and getting it to the US. If I ever wanted to upgrade to a true big rig for full-timing, it would be logical to look at 2nd hand euro-made models. One question: how do you plan to do the maintenance, find parts and service for the MAN engine, chassis, etc.? Have fun and safe adventures with the family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles