new car time

dkaroly

Same old ????
It is a big market out their… And I have to shop in it
But I am looking for a little help
In what are some affordable and reliable rides.
And is there a better year than another in certain models
And What sod i look out for on models
EX. my Honda's blue paint has flaked off on a 2004.. don’t want that a gene
I just want to know all I can before making my buy

ihatemybike

Explorer
You really haven't given any requirements for us to make suggestions.

Affordable and reliable can mean different things to different people.

What do you want to do with your vehicle? How capable does it need to be?

The answer is always Chevrolet Astro AWD 2003-2005.

dkaroly

well your right
I was thinking it needed to keep it open
but for requirements
I need
A 4X4 able to move 4 adults
move kayaks on it or behind it
able to go camping in the out of the way location
and then to work in the north east part of the states (ohio) dally
was thinking of an Xterra
but was open for any ideas that i may not be thinking of
I had a wrangler at one time and the clutch keep going out
fond out it was a factory problem at that time
it was frustrating
so i gees that is what i an wanting to know
what to look out for

You mentioned the Xterra. It is definitely a very affordable and solid ride. So, go for it.

What is "affordable" to you? Less than $10,000? Less than $15,000? Less $20,000?

Do you have a mileage or year requirement? I would think most people want to afford as new as possible. So, the most new your budget can afford you. Also, do you prefer it less than 100,000 miles? Less than 50,000 miles?

Narrow it down some more for more help.

Goodluck in your search.

dkaroly

on the Xterra other than cosmetic changes is there other things under the hood
I like the ladder frame and the v6 it seems to be used in almost all of Nissons models
i prefer a manual but is that offered in all years and the better choice
don't see many sticks when looking in the market
mileage can play a factor if it not taken car of
and there is always rooting items that will need fixing
but is there anything to stay away from on a Nissan

Imager993

Pixel Monkey
Love my X. Manual trans, rear locker, more interior room than a 4-door jeep, rear seats that fold down flat, and tons of other features. Just make sure to get a '12 and newer or you'll think the interior electronics came from a decade earlier.

ahyze4yh.jpg

dkaroly

Thanks for the grate input
I wasn't soar if any one model year was better than a another.
It doesn't sound that way in this case.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I recommend checking out the Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Tracker and Suzuki Vitara or Grand Vitara/Chevrolet Tracker, and in your case, the four-door models.

All pre-1999 four-door versions had the 1.6-liter 16V engine. There was the 1996–1998 Sidekick Sport, which I'd avoid. Although it had the larger 1.8-liter mill, it had slightly different chassis dimensions which eliminates most off-the-shelf modifications, such as bumpers, suspension, etc. Plus, the 1.8-liter engine doesn't have as much aftermarket support, since it was only available for three model years.

The 1999-2004 models were available with a 2.0-liter four cylinder or the 2.5 V6 if you want more power. The 2005+ models were still had true 4WD, but offered a fully independent suspension. I have a 1995 16V two-door soft top. It's great off road, I get 23 MPG, and has been ultra reliable.

-Andy

dkaroly

that sounds grate
will have to look some of them up
thank you
looking at a long weekend
so lots of investigating to do

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Agree with thirty-nine.

If I was in the market for a larger vehicle than the one I have I'd be in a grand vitara. They're basically giving them away now. They're also bulletproof. One of the last few small REAL trucks.

plumber mike

Adventurer
We actually got rid of our xterra for the tahoe to get better mpg. That xterra was awesome, but it guzzled fuel for what it was.

The tahoe is still too small for four adults and a ton of gear....IMO

The astro was a good recommendation actually. I'd get a suburban myself.

The subaru forester will probably do everything you ask.

I must agree.....it's a big market full of ho-hum offerings. There is not one that jumps out and says "take me home.....then take me around the world"

Have you considered a restomod on something older, or are we supposed to recommend only what's new for 2014?

If you are looking for something that seats four adults and holds a lot of gear then your gonna need a bed. Some of these newer gas fullsize pickups are getting 23mpg on the freeway. I myself am looking for a bigger ride and I have decided to get a CNG vehicle because we have plenty CNG fuel stations and CNG only costs $1.63 per gallon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior