New Camper Build - THE OVERL[h]ANDER

msiminoff

The pass-through is complete and off to the powder coating shop. This assembly will be the same color as the truck body.
Passthrough5.jpeg Passthrough6.JPEG Passthrough7.JPEG

DDGO also fab'd-up a set of aluminum wheel arches to allow plenty of tire clearance, and they even matched the corner radius of the arches to the fiberglass pultrusions to ensure a nice clean appearance once assembled:cool:
Wheelwells.jpeg
(Click thumbnails to see hi-res images)

Last edited:

msiminoff

Getting very close... The box assembly and all of the exterior goodies should be wrapped up this Thursday :cool:
(click for full-res')

CamperAssy27Oct20.JPG

Last edited:

msiminoff

Lots of work happening over the past day... Cab-over braces are in place, exterior lights are functional, doors for side-boxes are being installed, and there even a (illuminated) license plate.
The Durrance Design Group team is still on track to be done with this phase of work on Thursday.
Click on thumbnails to see the full-res' images.

CamperAssy29Oct20_5.jpeg SideLights.jpg

CamperAssy29Oct20_3.jpeg CamperAssy29Oct20_4.jpeg RearLights.jpeg

ExpoMike

I have not seen a rear door setup like that. That's actually very cool. Can use like a normal RV door but open it up if you wanted to. That's giving me some ideas....

msiminoff

@ExpoMike, yes, and the "normal" door is a Tern Overland 'Wildlands' door.

@Todd n Natalie, I can't take all of the credit; The idea was inspired by a friend who built his expedition vehicle in a box-van, and I always loved his view, watching the sunset, through the expansive opening in the back wall, while beach camping :cool:
In addition, when the weather and/or the neighborhood is crappy, it will be nice to have the security of the triple deadbolt lock.

rruff

Explorer
Your camper looks awesome!

It's very big, though... I'm wondering if you have a fully loaded weight estimate?

ExpoMike

@ExpoMike, yes, and the "normal" door is a Tern Overland 'Wildlands' door.

@Todd n Natalie, I can't take all of the credit; The idea was inspired by a friend who built his expedition vehicle in a box-van, and I always loved his view, watching the sunset, through the expansive opening in the back wall, while beach camping :cool:
In addition, when the weather and/or the neighborhood is crappy, it will be nice to have the security of the triple deadbolt lock.

Yeah, that's the door I am planning on using from the day I saw they offered it. Love the idea of a deadbolted screen door if needed. :)

I have liked the idea of opening up the whole back for a great view but didn't want to loose the standard door option for normal use. The setup you have is a very cool idea.

msiminoff

It's very big, though... I'm wondering if you have a fully loaded weight estimate?
Very big? In comparison with the truck camper it's replacing, this new camper is narrower, not as tall, has less rear overhang, and it is much lighter.
Yes, it's ~30" longer overall... but so is the wheelbase.

Right now the total weight looks like it's going to come in higher than expected :( , although I haven't driven across a scale yet. Hopeful in a day or two.
My best estimate; when all is said & done it'll come in around 11,000 lbs... 5000 on the front axle and 6000 on rear. So that's over GVWR, but still under both GAWRs... and well under tire load ratings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier