New Camper Build - THE OVERL[h]ANDER

msiminoff

The exterior build is done and the truck's heading home to start the interior build-out!
(Click on thumbnails to see the full-res' images)
IMG_0213.jpeg IMG_0214.jpeg IMG_0218.jpeg

IMG_0200.jpeg
The fuel door uses the same key and lock as the storage boxes and hatches.

IMG_0202.jpeg
This is the rear deck's retracted position.

ITTOG

Looks great but looks very tall. What is the overall height.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I had the pleasure of seeing it today. Yes it’s big but it looks fitting when you stand in front of it.

Attachments

• D1BB50D8-524C-403E-9ABA-807AFCF0C499.jpeg
    D1BB50D8-524C-403E-9ABA-807AFCF0C499.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 152
  • BF938F6B-104E-4C26-82D2-3A8DC9BD00CE.jpeg
    BF938F6B-104E-4C26-82D2-3A8DC9BD00CE.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 151

redruby

Loved it all, I’m actually thinking of doing the same but on a 5500 Dodge, I currently own the same truck as you, never accorded to me to stretch it. I met a couple in Alaska a few years ago and he converted a 24’ box truck to a camper had Arcadia doors in the back, what a great view of the outdoors. May I ask how much was the camper built? Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

D

Deleted member 12023

She's a beast! Nice work!

Make sure to get a check on the load rating of those H2 wheels

msiminoff

Make sure to get a check on the load rating of those H2 wheels
Thanks @12valve !

Those H2 wheels were only on the truck for the unloaded cross-country (& international) trips to get the frame stretched and subframe & box fabricated. They have since been replaced with a set of 19.5" Vision wheels and Bridgestone M729 tires. I put down a lot of miles to get all of this work done and riding in an empty truck on 19.5's is not my idea of fun :ROFLMAO:

As previously mentioned; Once the interior build is done and I have a final weight I will make the decision on which wheel/tire combo is best suited to this rig. At the moment I am leaning toward Method 701HD wheels (4500 lb rated) and 295/70R18 E 129/126Q NItto Terra Grappler G2's (4080 lb @ 80PSI).

-Mark

(Click thumbnails to see the full-res' images)
19_5_Vision_1.JPG 19_5_Vision_2.JPG

Sixinarow

Adventurer
Very cool! The front of the subframe is just two pivot points on one axis? It looks like there are four cylindrical bushings.

msiminoff

Sorry for the radio silence. I hadn't anticipated so much time would pass between the box assembly and interior buildout. The past year has thrown me a bunch of curve balls and this has made the project much more challenging. A part of the project I haven't spoken about until now is that the subframe and box were built in Victoria BC, Canada... and well, I live in California. I drove the (stretched) truck up to Durrance Design in December 2019, and as we all know, shortly after that all hell broke loose. Not only did the :mad::poop::sick::eek::mad:'ing pandemic delay the fabrication efforts, but it also prevented me from traveling to see the in-process work and I couldn't even get into Canada to bring the rig home. Finally in October 2020 the work was completed and the solution to get the camper back into the US was to hire a trucking company & customs brokerage, put the truck on a low-boy, and then haul it across the border as freight. In early November I met the truck driver at the US/CAN border in Blaine, WA and drove home from there.

Fast-forward to today; the camper is in the shop at West Coast Adventure Vehicles where they are building the cabinetry and installing the electrical, plumbing, & HVAC systems. If all goes well the rig will be done and back home in May.

redruby said:
May I ask how much was the camper built?
I expect that the whole project will come in right around $180K... That's everything from soup to nuts, but not including the truck. If you want more detailed pricing I would be happy to put you in touch with the suppliers I've used.

senorparker said:
Great looking project. Any updates you care to share? Thanks!
Thanks! As I mentioned the interior work is getting underway at WCAV. The past few weeks have been spent choosing all of the materials & finishes, and finalizing wiring & plumbing diagrams. Here's a sneak-peak of how it's shaping-up.
(click thumbnail for full-res images)

KitchenView.jpg SeatingView.jpg

Sixinarow said:
Very cool! The front of the subframe is just two pivot points on one axis? It looks like there are four cylindrical bushings.
Fundamentally the subframe is a 3-point mounting system. However, at the front there is a pair of bushings on the right and a pair on the left, in each pair the bushings are mounted 90º from one another. This allows for dedicated bushings for right-left and front-rear loading. Of course there is a single "pivot" bushing in the rear. So, 5 bushings in total.
These photos show the locations of the mounting bushings...
(click thumbnail for full-res images)

Pivot1.JPG Pivot2.jpg Pivot3.jpg

-Mark

Last edited:

msiminoff

Wow, it has been quite some time since I've posted an update... I'm now Three full years into this project and interior build is still underway, but I think I can finally see an end to this tunnel.
Here are some pics to bring things up to date:
IMG_4616.JPG IMG_4621.JPG
All of the windows, hatches, and fans are installed. As you can see I also swapped out the 19.5" wheels & tires with some 18" Method 701HD's and Nitto Recon Grapplers.

msiminoff

Most of the electrical system is in place and is performing as expected. The system is broken down into 3 installation areas that I call the "Component Panel", the "Sub Panel", and the "Control Panel".
The Component Panel is located behind the fridge and can be accessed through a hatch on the passenger side wall of the camper. For any major service needs the fridge can be removed (it's on wheels) and the hinged Component Panel can be swung open for easy access.
The Sub Panel is also mounted on a hinge so that both sides can be accessed through the hatch.
The Control Panel is located above the fridge and has all of the control switches, systems monitoring displays, as well as the AV system.
(click on thumbnails to see high res' images)

IMG_3467.jpg IMG_4462.JPG IMG_4463.JPG IMG_4465.JPG IMG_4467.JPG IMG_4587.JPG IMG_4586.JPG IMG_4608.JPG

carleton

That's cool, thanks for the follow up!
I remember following this build closely in 2020, during the pandemic I had a lot of downtime at work.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior