New camp kitchen idea

Gunner207

Observer
Hi everyone,

Spent the summer of 2018 in Alaska. Made a kitchen box out of a sound equipment rack. You can see it in the picture. It spent the whole summer out in the weather and I was impressed with how weather proof it was.

I had a partner stove, one dry goods drawer, and one drawer for utensils and cooking implements. It worked really well for what it was.

I've changed trucks to a mid bed length f150 with a cap so I can sleep inside. The camp kitchen takes up too much space. I am thinking about using front runner wolf pack boxes so that I can stack them in the truck and get more storage space.

I figure one box for ingredients (dry and non-perishable), one for cooking equipment. I can make cnc cut inserts to compartmentalize the boxes. What do you all think? Suggestions?

Attachments

• 0_IMG_20180704_144740353_HDR_edit_1586469758379.jpg
    0_IMG_20180704_144740353_HDR_edit_1586469758379.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 234
D

Deleted member 215671

some people really like the diy truck bed drawer system that way you sleep on top of your gear. One drawer for cooking, another for clothes n such etc. I have a shortbed so space saving is a must. I haven't quite got my set up in its final yet since it changes every trip lol.

is it just you, or you and a partner (spouse, pet, kid(s) etc? A receiver cargo carrier can help save sleeping space as long as its a weatherproof container etc.

I made mine removable since the truck hauls lumber, and other stuff depending on trips/work. Its not 100% perfect but allows the wife and I to carry lots of stuff. PS for water containers get a scepter 5gal or two of the rotopax 2 gallon containers. they are $$$ but the rotopax was was so much easier to put in various places, stack and zero leaks etc.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 165

Gunner207

Observer
Only me most of the time, and a 100 pound dog. I have 2 rotopax 2 gallon containers mounted on a built right panel in the back corner of the bed. I don't want to do a drawer because of loosing headroom. I tow a trailer often when traveling so the receiver mount cargo carrier is out.

I'll post some pictures of my current set up tomorrow.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Gunner207

Observer
Totally agree on the portability. My "old" kitchen box was heavy. I could manage it but not for a long way. I also just went back to a supercab from a supercrew to get the 6.5 foot bed. Fitting my current kitchen box in the back seat area to make room in the bed is tough. I took the backseat out and built a raised box (for the dog) and have storage underneath.

I ordered one wolf pack box and a raised lid so I can check out some ideas. Much nicer carrying three, stackable, 20 lb boxes rather than one 60 lb box.

Gunner207

Observer
Wolf pack box and tall lid came in..... I can see people’s comments about the lid latches not being great, one of the four doesn’t stay attac when released, but I still think it is great for the money. Consider the price of the yeti storage box for comparison, and I think the front runner will be easier to make inserts for organization. I’ll have some pictures up by the weekend. Really looking forward to feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz