New cab chassis for camper

HAF

Its 87" wide x 12 foot 6" long. Cab to axel dimension is 84". I think the wheelbase on this truck is 203".

HAF

Steel mounts bolt through mounting rail with fine threaded bolts. To prevent electrolysis, there is a coating of epoxy in the spot where the plates attach. There is a plastic gasket between them as well.

Stupidkid

I noticed you went with the smaller tires, as opposed to the MPT81s? Was the due to the gas engine, or just a desire for a smooth quiet ride? How do you think the gas motor would handle the ~42" tires (with 4.88 gearing)

Also, what is the current overall height of the camper (when on the flatbed)?

HAF

I chose the 35" tires over the 40" units due to no modifications required. The 35 inch tires dont rub anywhere. The larger tires require a lift and maybe some fender trimming. I plan on putting the larger tires on this truck.
I had the 40 inch tires on a Ram 5500 with 4.10 gearing. I found the engine RPM was in the perfect range at 65 MPH. Didnt notice a lack of power. 4.88 gears are pretty deep. I doubt the bigger tires will affect the useable power.
Camper height is about 10 ft 6". I am planning on mounting a new camper build direct to frame (removing flatbed).

Attachments

• IMG_9100.jpg
    IMG_9100.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26

Stupidkid

Thanks for all the details. New build sounds exciting.

I assume the ram was a Cummins as opposed to the gas engine? I am curious to see how the decreased power will handle the larger tires.

10'6" height is pretty great, is that with the 35s? What is the interior height of the camper?

Last edited:

HAF

The Ram had the Cummins. Never had a power issue-with the Ram or now the Ford gas. The height from ground to top of roof is 121"with 35" tires. This does not include height of "stuff" on roof. Inside height is 75 5/8". I think this is a good balance of inside height and overall height of camper. I have the camper body sitting on a sub frame that has water tanks between the frame rails. I am working on getting a low center of gravity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles