New bumper design

tango_6

I am looking to have a 1 of a kind custom bumper. Would tube be the way to go to keep the weight down? I have looked at a few designs and plate looks clean but is heavy, Tube looks good as long as it is done right, look at Maxterra. I was looking at the Calmini I saw it on facebook and it looked pretty good, I would like something different that the normal what everyone has.
Oh by the way I have a 06 Xterra S

Pancake81

Other than being original, is there a purpose in a one off? There are some excellent bumpers out there, RLC for instance, that will do the job plus some. A one off will likely cost you more money and may have kinks to work out. Unless your building it yourself, I would check into the usual arb, RLC, and others.

With the RLC you can work with James and put your personal touches on it. He will literally build it however you want. Don't know him personally and only ordered one bumper from him, but I would go back in a heart beat

tango_6

RLC has nice bumpers, I would like a winch on it, The only reason I was looking into the tube kind is weight. How much did your RLC bumper weigh?

chevy42083

I'm in the same boat.
The Xterra's have an abundant supply of plate bumpers... but not much in the line of tube. I too kind of want to avoid the added weight of the plate bumpers as I don't plan to smash rocks with it. Just need something with better clearance, tougher than plastic, and MAYBE a spot for a winch (not even set on that). That, and I really like the look of tube, especially when combined with sliders.

With that said.... I don't really know if a tube bumper is much lighter than plate (and yes, I know it definitely depends on which exact bumpers.)

The Calmini has a reputation of bad customer service, and the top bar is apparently several bends welded together. Though many people are still perfectly happy with it.... especially since it's the cheapest aftermarket one (that I know of).

When I get serious, I'm gonna look at the local places, and even consider the race car shops... if they can bend and weld a cage, they can do a bumper. Maybe start with a bolt on winch cradle, and fab a skid plate and tube "wings" from that.
Until then, I've been saving pictures of bumpers with style that I like.

photo nomad

Adventurer
If any of you are in Texas, you may want to hit up Trailworx for custom tube bumpers. He's been building them for FJ's for years. Here's the one he built for me.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430508375.732476.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chevy42083

If any of you are in Texas, you may want to hit up Trailworx for custom tube bumpers. He's been building them for FJ's for years. Here's the one he built for me.
View attachment 282885

I like that bumper... definitely has more style than the simple prerunner Calmini. But.... the only trailworx i see says its in California, and shows FJ stuff exclusively. You had me excited about Texas. Shrock is here, but apparently doesn't do custom jobs, and his bumper is pretty hefty looking.
http://trailworxfab.com/contact/

photo nomad

Adventurer
I like that bumper... definitely has more style than the simple prerunner Calmini. But.... the only trailworx i see says its in California, and shows FJ stuff exclusively. You had me excited about Texas. Shrock is here, but apparently doesn't do custom jobs, and his bumper is pretty hefty looking.
http://trailworxfab.com/contact/

Send him an email, he used to be in Cali but is now in Texas. I guess he hasn't updated his site yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne