New Build - FG637 Dual Cab + Slide on

ITTOG

Have spent the last few days assembling like crazy, and I now have what looks like a camper!

View attachment 632721

VERY happy with the result, and even more surprised how close it came out to the initial plan..
All the design work up front definitely made the bulk of the execution considerably easier, especially for the tray/subframe and the pop top components.
View attachment 632722

First thing ws remaking the bottom extrusion profile for the pop top, managed to get the two new extrusions to remake the long edges.
Decided to cut them myself this time around, so got a aluminium blade and did it with a mitre saw.
It worked perfectly with a bit of cutting fluid, really should have done this myself for all of them... Next time!
View attachment 632723

Once the bottom frame was done, flipped the roof upside down on the saw horses to begin assembling the skirt.
Was a surprisingly painless experience, basically just pushed into into the slot with a paint scraper and screwed it in.
I was originally thinking I'd need a piece of aluminium extrusions in between to hold it in place, but the material thickness was more than enough.
View attachment 632724

Also while upside down and easily accessible, I added the gas strut mounts as well. (can see the screw detail here as well)
View attachment 632725

Once it was assembled to the roof, put the bottom frame back on the mounts I then got some stands to hold the roof a little ways off the base so I could assemble the bottom of the skirt while it wasn't taught.
When I had it all screwed and mounted in, I added the wood to hold it open and then mounted in the gas struts.
The gas struts alone held it up surprisingly well, but putting it down without some guidance was almost impossible!
View attachment 632726

The most dangerous and nerve racking part of the day was the lift.. I reckon all in the roof and frames weigh in excess of 80-100kg.
I decided best course of action was to lift the entire assembly up to the roof and then drive the truck underneath to get it in position.
As I couldn't get it high enough to install it open, I removed the gas struts and moved the bottom frame into position to mount it then lowered it down to the closed position.
At the same time I added in the glue to connect the pop top to the canopy.
I also added the modified canopy lifters to lift the canopy up and down.. The design wasn't great for connecting to the roof panel, I ended up using rivnuts to hold it to the roof.
Probably not an ideal long term solution, so let's see how they hold up. Worst case I can glue a aluminium plate and reattach them to it if they fail.
View attachment 632727

Whilst closed it was a good time to put on the clamps. You can see the interface between the pop top and the canopy in the below pic.
I'm going to add some automotive silicon into this gap to seal it all up as a bead around the join.
You can also see how millimeter perfect the doors are to the roof when open (brag brag), it's tight but just right!
View attachment 632728

Now time for some internal fitouts and to get away!

Below is in the packed up position..

View attachment 632729
When you put the struts on did you make it so the struts bottom out when the top is down or did you make it so the do not bottom out. Just curious as I have some to put on soon.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Lachstock

When you put the struts on did you make it so the struts bottom out when the top is down or did you make it so the do not bottom out. Just curious as I have some to put on soon.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Pretty much bottomed them out, they're not quite fully extended when it's up either.

4x4Truckoverland

Have spent the last few days assembling like crazy, and I now have what looks like a camper!

View attachment 632721

VERY happy with the result, and even more surprised how close it came out to the initial plan..
All the design work up front definitely made the bulk of the execution considerably easier, especially for the tray/subframe and the pop top components.
View attachment 632722

First thing ws remaking the bottom extrusion profile for the pop top, managed to get the two new extrusions to remake the long edges.
Decided to cut them myself this time around, so got a aluminium blade and did it with a mitre saw.
It worked perfectly with a bit of cutting fluid, really should have done this myself for all of them... Next time!
View attachment 632723

Once the bottom frame was done, flipped the roof upside down on the saw horses to begin assembling the skirt.
Was a surprisingly painless experience, basically just pushed into into the slot with a paint scraper and screwed it in.
I was originally thinking I'd need a piece of aluminium extrusions in between to hold it in place, but the material thickness was more than enough.
View attachment 632724

Also while upside down and easily accessible, I added the gas strut mounts as well. (can see the screw detail here as well)
View attachment 632725

Once it was assembled to the roof, put the bottom frame back on the mounts I then got some stands to hold the roof a little ways off the base so I could assemble the bottom of the skirt while it wasn't taught.
When I had it all screwed and mounted in, I added the wood to hold it open and then mounted in the gas struts.
The gas struts alone held it up surprisingly well, but putting it down without some guidance was almost impossible!
View attachment 632726

The most dangerous and nerve racking part of the day was the lift.. I reckon all in the roof and frames weigh in excess of 80-100kg.
I decided best course of action was to lift the entire assembly up to the roof and then drive the truck underneath to get it in position.
As I couldn't get it high enough to install it open, I removed the gas struts and moved the bottom frame into position to mount it then lowered it down to the closed position.
At the same time I added in the glue to connect the pop top to the canopy.
I also added the modified canopy lifters to lift the canopy up and down.. The design wasn't great for connecting to the roof panel, I ended up using rivnuts to hold it to the roof.
Probably not an ideal long term solution, so let's see how they hold up. Worst case I can glue a aluminium plate and reattach them to it if they fail.
View attachment 632727

Whilst closed it was a good time to put on the clamps. You can see the interface between the pop top and the canopy in the below pic.
I'm going to add some automotive silicon into this gap to seal it all up as a bead around the join.
You can also see how millimeter perfect the doors are to the roof when open (brag brag), it's tight but just right!
View attachment 632728

Now time for some internal fitouts and to get away!

Below is in the packed up position..

View attachment 632729
Brilliant Job!! What extrusion did you use for the bottom of the pop-top? I am fimiliar with the top extrusion, but how does the bottom attach to the canopy? i thought they only make n extrusion to attach to 29mm wall compound.

Lachstock

Brilliant Job!! What extrusion did you use for the bottom of the pop-top? I am fimiliar with the top extrusion, but how does the bottom attach to the canopy? i thought they only make n extrusion to attach to 29mm wall compound.

Hi mate,

I used a 25x50mm extrusion for the bottom extrusion of the pop top to connect to, the extrusion sits about 25mm out the top for the pop top extrusion to sit over like a wall panel. (should be able to see this in previous posts)
I cut the pop top to be in line with the outside dimensions, so theres a 3-4mm gap on the inside.
It's pretty much filled with the glue I used to connect it and is unoticeable on the inside, pretty simple solution and so far is working fine.

Cheers,

Lachlan

4x4Truckoverland

Hi mate,

I used a 25x50mm extrusion for the bottom extrusion of the pop top to connect to, the extrusion sits about 25mm out the top for the pop top extrusion to sit over like a wall panel. (should be able to see this in previous posts)
I cut the pop top to be in line with the outside dimensions, so theres a 3-4mm gap on the inside.
It's pretty much filled with the glue I used to connect it and is unoticeable on the inside, pretty simple solution and so far is working fine.

Cheers,

Lachlan
Yes ok. Did u just glue to the 25mm extrusion? No pop rivets ? My canopy build idea is very similar to yours. Sort of like half canopy, half industrial pop top ? I don’t want luxury just somewhere to get out of the weather when required and no need for a roof top tent. Yours is the best design I have seen so far. Did u get the pop top extrusions from Brisbane?
thanks

Lachstock

Yes ok. Did u just glue to the 25mm extrusion? No pop rivets ? My canopy build idea is very similar to yours. Sort of like half canopy, half industrial pop top ? I don’t want luxury just somewhere to get out of the weather when required and no need for a roof top tent. Yours is the best design I have seen so far. Did u get the pop top extrusions from Brisbane?
thanks

Yeah mate, Just glued it on. It's more than strong enough to hold it all in place I reckon.
You can get the extrusions from Victoria from DIY caravans as well, no need to get them from QLD.

4x4Truckoverland

Thanks for that. Anything you would have done differently with your canopy setup? Do u have a sub frame under the tray? Trying to work out if it’s needed to start with.
thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94