New Build - Choosing a Land Cruiser for Family Overlanding

Northernlilywhite

Hi Guys,

I am joining from the dark side and have now finally seen the light. I had a 2004 Discovery II SE7 (which IMHO is the single best model of Discos, but still unreliable as hell) that I did some engine (coils, plugs, wires, gaskets, etc) and body work to, along with a bunch of preventative maintenance. However the electronics just couldn't sort themselves out. I spent a couple grand trying to get the bugs out of the systems and finally gave up. It just wasn't enjoyable anymore and that is the point of a build for me.

However since originally buying the Disco I have had a daughter and now have a little guy on the way in December. So I am moving over to a reliable Toyota that I can feel awesome about bringing my family out across the country and up through Canada without worrying about being stranded or having mid trip failures.

I am not necessarily new to Toyotas as we have always had Tacomas in the family when I was growing up, but Land Cruisers are alien to me but after 15-20 hours of research on the forums I think the Land Cruiser is the lady for me. I just would like some advice as to what years and models (100 v 80 v 70), set-ups are the best. I want to start with the best base for my project I can find/afford and I am willing to look around and travel for the right vehicle. I have about $10k (could max stretch to $15k but would eat into mods money) to spend on the vehicle itself (not counting work/mods after purchase) and would love some suggestions. I don't intend on selling this baby for years so I would want the best base I could get for my money as far as potential and if some experienced Land Cruiser guys could advise me what to aim for and what to avoid it would be great.

Once I purchase I will be starting a thread showing the build and then hopefully, in 18-24 months time, a trip out West from New England and then up the West Coast to Alaska and back.

Thanks so much for your time and input in advance.

Last edited:

soslo

I just would like some advice as to what years and models (100 v 80 v 70), set-ups are the best. I want to start with the best base for my project I can find/afford and I am willing to look around and travel for the right vehicle. I have about $10k (could max stretch to $15k but would eat into mods money) to spend on the vehicle itself (not counting work/mods after purchase) and would love some suggestions.

Hello - I think you'll be happy with that decision.

First, a couple of points on the models, with notable details:

100 series (98-07, Independent front suspension, 4.7L V8)
80 series (90-97, last model to have solid front axle, inline 6 engine)
70 series (not available in the US)

I've owned an FJ40, and currently own a '13 200 series. With a $10k budget, and a focus on reliability and long-distance family trips, I think your best bet is either getting the last couple of years of the 80 series, or the first couple of years of the 100 series.

For the 80 series, 96 or 97 could be had with locking front and rear diffs from the factory. You can find decent rigs with factory lockers for under $8-10k.

The 100 series has a much smoother ride, but your modification options will be much more limited than the 80 series. Still you can find just about anything you want/need, but it'll typically cost more too.

For long trips, I'd much rather have the 100 series, but with a $15k total budget, I think you'll get more truck for the money with an 80 series. Either truck will treat you well.

Northernlilywhite

Thanks Soslo for the advice. That is just the kind of info I was looking for. I was looking at a 96/97 for locking F&R diffs and this has confirmed that. I just love the idea of people are so calm about which year and model of Land Cruiser compared to Land Rovers as they just trust and know they will generally work!

I know the budget isn't much, wish it was more, but got a family and a new house I have to worry about. However I think the mods work should have a substantial budget as its over a two year period and I won't have a house move sucking up the disposable income.

If I do find a great deal on a 100 I might snap it up, as long as it has the locking rear diff (I believe the front axle was no longer solid in the 100's, right?).

I have 3-5 months to look before I will absolutely need to purchase as it will also be used as a 5 mile daily commuter in addition to a project. I think I will try and find a 40th Anniversary just to get lucky but if not a 96-97 80 series. Anybody have any other suggestions for better years or potential options which may be better suited for family overlanding?

Elsie3

I have never owned a 100 but my 93 FZJ80 had front, center and rear lockers from the factory. I will always have respect for that vehicle.

Arktikos

Explorer
With daughter and little guy, buy a 100 series, leave it alone and enjoy driving a great Toyota the way it came from the factory.

Northernlilywhite

I have heard about the comfort/size increase in the 100 over the 80 a few times now. What is it about the 100 that makes it better suited for a family or longer trips?

Texas1880

I have owned a '00 LC100 until 3 years ago and it was a great vehicle . I will own a 100 again .
I still have a '94 FZJ80 and don't intend to ever part with it.

While both vehicles are very comfortable to drive, The 100 is more comfortable on highway, engine is more responsive , and it has more interior room. The ATRAC system on the 100 is very impressive on wet pavement
and snow and ice. The interior on the 100 is nicer and
Long trips will be slightly more comfortable in the 100.

Northernlilywhite

Thanks Tex for clearing that up. I had heard some pretty amazing stories about the ATRAC system. I was a bit hesitant at first of even thinking about going to a LC that didn't have the front and rear lockers factory as I didn't want to spend a ton of money on ARB's but didn't see the point in buying without them either if I am starting from scratch. However after a few forum reads and some youtube videos, the ATRAC is quickly changed my mind.

How many miles would people draw the line at when purchasing? What would be the max mileage for a vehicle you were willing to at least go view? 150k? 200k?

rc51kid

Adventurer
I am not sure if this is what was implied. But more years than 96-97 FZJ80 had lockers. My 94 has F&R factory lockers. If you go to Slees web page there is a really good buyers guide that outlines some basic info about the 80 and its changes over the years. Basically the early ones had a early style motor. Less power but still super reliable. The later ones (94 maybe 93) got the newer more powerful motor. Also some trany changes. I know 93/94 had a different trany than earlier or later. in 95 they got a different style dash. a few slight changes over the years. All are good but some people have their preferences. I really like my 94. It has the later more powerful engine. I hear good things about the 93/94 transmission. I personally like the older style dash better. Just my opinion.

fireball

Explorer
With a 10-15k budget you should be able to get a pretty nice pre-'03 100 series. That is definitely the way I would go. 98/99 had the e-locker, '00+ had the Atrac. I think you'll be a lot happier with the extra space, amenities and added comfort of the 100-series. It's a pretty awesome family hauler. We just returned from a 4,700 mile cross country trip, PA to Ouray, CO for the 100s in the Hills event, then some extra time exploring CO and South Dakota. Other than the ~13.5mpg fuel mileage the 100 was perfect!

mph

Expedition Leader
You will be styling with 15k...There were some right here on expo. Can't find them...I love my 99 with rear locker...I added a bunch of fun goodies. Let me see if I can search expo and find the links that I was referring to.

SirCampalot

Adventurer
With daughter and little guy, buy a 100 series, leave it alone and enjoy driving a great Toyota the way it came from the factory.

Agreed. Most 98/99 100-series had the locking rear diff. and didn't come with the factory navigation... that's one thing I hated about my '02, as the navigation was integrated with the climate control. Once you find that perfect rig, do baseline maintenance, remove running boards, and add 33's and you and your family are good to go.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
That kind of $ should be able to fetch a well built 100 series. I recently picked mine up for a little more than that, but it was very well "Equipt"... pun intended. :p
good luck in your quest. can't wait to see what you end up going with.

Northernlilywhite

Awesome. Thanks all for the advice. I would love to stick to $10k for the truck and then spend $5-6k on the vehicle over 2-3 years, but if the perfect truck pops up I may just find some room in the budget...!

Fireball. That is exactly the type of stuff I want to do with my project rig and the family. Sounds like a perfect family trip and the 100 series will probably convince the wife to tag along.

Maybe I will start to focus my search on a 100 series, although I will still keep my eyes peeled for a 1996/1997 80 Series in case I find a great deal.

I have been looking on Expo for some appropriate trucks but not much luck so far, but I am going to keep on alert. I just keep seeing so many awesome builds. The possibilities for which way to go with a build are endless.

Last edited:

fireball

Explorer
Bookmark this: http://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/uzj100-lx470.329/

I spent a few months searching and ended up buying something stock, original and well cared for. I enjoyed building it up exactly the way I wanted, but it definitely costs more to do it that way! You'll save a ton buying something someone has already built, so take your time and if you find something you like don't be afraid to jump on it. Also, I'd encourage you to think long and hard about exactly how you'll use the truck and what you need/want it to do. Slowly building my truck from stock it has made it drastically less economical to drive on a daily basis....it's got an extra 1000-1500# of weight on it now, harder on the brakes, tranny, wallet at the gas pump, etc. It's not my DD so not a big deal but there is something to be said about a minimalist build!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz