New Build – good or bad?

Jack90

Here is my first draft of our new overlanding build -

Truck
Dodge 3500
Diesel – so can have tons of torque going over the Colorado passes
Thuren Suspension which includes - King 2.5" kit includes front coils, front track bar, and front and rear King 2.5" remote reservoir shocks
Leaf springs – factory
37 inch tires – Nitto Ridge Graplers – Load E
Expedition One bumper so can carry spare tire

Camper
Popup Truck Camper – Hallmark Milner - http://www.hallmarkrv.com/campers/hallmark-milner/
Base Weight – 1,212
Slide in into normal bed and not a flatbed

Questions
1. Is there anything I am missing on this build? What would you change?
2. My goal with the Thuren suspension is to make the ride quality a bit softer, but at the same time keep the factory driving characteristics (no wandering, easy to drive down the highway going 80 mph). Do you think this build would achieve this?

js9234

Observer
What year truck? Did you gear swap to compensate for the bigger tires? Good sway bar? Thuren is top of the line suspension should be good even though you didn't change leaf springs. I have the same tires in 35 and they are very good.

Last edited:

Jack90

Good questions. I would buy brand new and was thinking if I went with the high output diesel with 1,000 lb of torque the re-gearing could be skipped.

phsycle

Adventurer
Your only reason for going diesel is to get over the mountain passes? Any gas engine in those HD trucks will do that just fine.

3500 w 6.4L or better yet, F350 w 7.3 is what I’d go with.

js9234

Observer
I would definitely still regear to take stress off transmisison. As for the suspension again, call Don at Thuren and tell him the set up you want and he will point you in the right direction and tell you what set up he recommends. Sounds like a solid set up.

Jack90

That is true, but was thinking with the diesel power, I wouldn't have to re-gear. I like to keep things factory if is possible.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Heads up, you may want to read through this regarding your rear bumper choice:

unxpctd

I'll try and keep this short.

I retire in 3 years. For the last year I have been focused on a new RAM 3500, probably a Cummins with a 4 Wheel Camper. Due to some life changes I'm changing that to a Power Wagon and a small off road trailer.

With that in mind I did alot of research over the last year...and had decided on a 3500. The 2500 just doesn't have the payload (neither does the PW) for a truck camper. You can modify the suspension with bags and a sway bar...but could still
run into issues.

From what I read you would be just fine with the 3.73's in the current Cummins (depends on your year truck) and 37's. Your suspension upgrades should be just fine. It appears you can get the 4.10 gears which really help payload too.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html This helped me alot (input your info if your truck is a 2020).

The 3500 should give you at least a 4,000lb payload rating, which will be more than enough. That's what I was shooting for.

What year truck and what spec? Big Horn? Limited? These all affect payload. Also...8 foot bed? 6'4" bed?

Good luck with your build! Looks like a great camper.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'd definitely skip the diesel. For what you are doing it could end up being more problems than it's worth. The gasser will do just fine, for thousands less to buy and maintain.

Jack90

What year truck and what spec?
>>I'll go ahead and purchase brand new this time around and probably will be the Laramie.

unxpctd

You definitely don't need the HO diesel. If anything the regular 6.7 and 68RFE transmission would be more than enough. The HO is really for heavy heavy towing with the Aisin.

The 6.4 would probably do just fine as has been stated. Not trying to talk you out of a diesel..but there are alot more things that could go wrong with it...along with the extra $9,000+ cost for the diesel.

Just a thought though....Ram is supposed to be coming out with an 8 speed in hopefully 2022 for the 6.7 Cummins. Right now the 68RFE is a 6 speed. Just an FYI in case you think you can wait. The
new 8 speed transmission (supposed to be a ZF like everything else they run - except the Aisin on the HO Cummins) will get better mileage and should be a great transmission.

If I was still going to do a truck camper with a new 6.7...I'd be waiting for the new 8 speed. The Power Wagon and all 6.4's already have the 8 speed ZF...so you'd be good to go for a 2021 model year.

Good luck!

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
I don't know why lots of people say diesels are hard to maintain or not worth the cost hassle. I bought my 07 CTD with 80k miles and now have over 200K. I have not spent any more money on this truck than any gas vehicle I have owned. I love the power, torque and fuel milage :)

Explorerinil

Observer
Good questions. I would buy brand new and was thinking if I went with the high output diesel with 1,000 lb of torque the re-gearing could be skipped.
You’ll need to regear with 37’s, your truck wont be in its optimum rpm range. I had a 3500 ho cummins aisin trans, and I had to regear with 37’s. I went with nitro 4:30 gears, it pulled hard and had tons of power, the rpm range was perfect. Read up on that bumper before you buy one, horrible customer service and a total pos bumper.

Explorerinil

Observer
You definitely don't need the HO diesel. If anything the regular 6.7 and 68RFE transmission would be more than enough. The HO is really for heavy heavy towing with the Aisin.

The 6.4 would probably do just fine as has been stated. Not trying to talk you out of a diesel..but there are alot more things that could go wrong with it...along with the extra $9,000+ cost for the diesel.

Just a thought though....Ram is supposed to be coming out with an 8 speed in hopefully 2022 for the 6.7 Cummins. Right now the 68RFE is a 6 speed. Just an FYI in case you think you can wait. The
new 8 speed transmission (supposed to be a ZF like everything else they run - except the Aisin on the HO Cummins) will get better mileage and should be a great transmission.

If I was still going to do a truck camper with a new 6.7...I'd be waiting for the new 8 speed. The Power Wagon and all 6.4's already have the 8 speed ZF...so you'd be good to go for a 2021 model year.

Good luck!
There has been no confirmation on the new trans behind diesel ram trucks. Latest I heard from the dealer, it won’t be the ZF 8 speed, but something different. A rumor with some traction is the Allison 9 speed, since gm doesn’t run an Allison trans anymore and Allison designed and built a new 9 speed trans. The “Allison” 10 speed in gm trucks was a joint venture between gm and ford, gm has bought rites to the Allison name and brands them as “Allison”.

GeorgeHayduke

I have a 2016 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins that carries a Northstar TC650 popup (~1500 lbs) and has been flawless for 65,000 hard miles all over Colorado. I got the diesel because at the time I really wanted the G56 manual transmission. In retrospect, I wish I would have gone for a 3500 as the 2500 coils lead to a lot of sway, so good choice on the 1 ton. I have 35" tires with factory 3.42 gears and no complaints. The G56 is geared a little lower than the 68RFE, but it's probably a wash since they come with 3.73's now.

You'll have plenty of torque with any of the motors available in modern HD trucks for going up passes. Check out the TFL guys pulling heavy loads up Ike with gassers. The diesel really shines on the descents with the exhaust brake and in terms of range. I've not personally had any issues with the diesel exhaust system, but you are pretty much confined to North America and ULSD. The 6.4 Hemis have cam/lifter failures and the MDS system can be annoying. The HO Cummins is tempting but the Aisin has a 30k service interval vs 120k for the 68RFE. Last I checked you still couldn't tune the Aisin either.

For your build I would reconsider if 37"s are really necessary. 35"s would let you keep the stock gearing, stock spare tire, and not need a rear bumper with tire mount. I would put the money toward a front bumper, winch and front locker.

If you're ordering new, make sure to get aux switches and the bigger alternator. I also seriously wish I had the new LED headlights. If you go Hemi then definitely get the 4.10 gears, but if you go Cummins I think 3.73 is the only option for SRW.

Thuren and Carli suspensions are both well regarded and Kings are top notch. AEV gets some criticism but is probably a reasonable choice for truck camper usage instead of desert running. I've tried timbrens and a hellwig swaybar with our camper and they've been fine, although I'm interested in switching over to air bags since I'm constantly taking the camper on and off.

I had a thread earlier this summer on truck choices that might have some helpful insights for you: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/build-current-ram-2500-vs-power-wagon-tremor-3500.217164/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94