New Bronco

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Well, this is interesting...

Ford Bronco Engines Failing With Under 10K Miles On The Clock: https://carbuzz.com/news/ford-bronco-engines-failing-with-under-10k-miles-on-the-clock

"... A thread concerning the 310-hp 2.7-liter twin-turbo V6 Ecoboost powertrain blowing up first appeared on December 29, 2021. One blown engine is not a cause for concern, as there could be various reasons. But as of April 22, there are reports from 46 different Bronco owners, all complaining about the same engine.

The Bronco6G forum now has a comprehensive list of failures, including the average mileage at which the engines fail. Rather worryingly, most of the problems are related to dropping a valve, which appears to happen at less than 10,000 miles...."

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
That would be a bummer. We have not had one at any of the 5 Ford stores I work for, but man, the 2.7 has been bullet proof. Hope its a quick fix in production.

The thread on Bronco6G that has been trying to track the problem for some time now. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2-7l-blown-engine-fail-list-46-so-far-april-22-update.31951/ It appears to be mostly associated with early builds in certain date ranges. There hasn't been any of the newer (post Aug, although 1 in Oct) engine builds that have had the problem. Not everyone with a blown motor will post their info there so there's undoubtedly more out there. They continue to pop up though because many people aren't racking up miles on theirs quickly (or they were stuck waiting on chips, don't think all of the MY21's have even been delivered yet).

85_Ranger4x4

The thread on Bronco6G that has been trying to track the problem for some time now. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2-7l-blown-engine-fail-list-46-so-far-april-22-update.31951/ It appears to be mostly associated with early builds in certain date ranges. There hasn't been any of the newer (post Aug, although 1 in Oct) engine builds that have had the problem. Not everyone with a blown motor will post their info there so there's undoubtedly more out there. They continue to pop up though because many people aren't racking up miles on theirs quickly (or they were stuck waiting on chips, don't think all of the MY21's have even been delivered yet).

Countered by the fact that more people will flock to the interwebs to complain about something than to do anything else.

6G is such a negative place in general, has been since before we reserved our car. I could only handle it in moderation to kinda keep tabs on things until we got our car and I really haven't had a reason to go back since.

Yeah, it is. There's actually starting to be some useful technical info bubbling up as people have now had theirs in the real world for a little bit now. I'm over there hoping for any tidbit of info on scheduling and production as Ford has decided there's no need to keep their customers informed.

nickw

Adventurer
So true. I heard for years from customers how bad they wanted diesel in the F-150, "I would be the first to buy one" Ford listened, nobody bought.
Exactly - same thing would happen with all those 70 series Landcruisers people want Toyota to build until they saw the price tag and realized what a 130hp 6000 lb vehicle drove like.

85_Ranger4x4

Well they charged a premium for a more complicated less capable engine that didnt get super spectacular mileage burning a more expensive fuel.

Interference engine with ten miles of timing belt (plus a belt on the back) was a big buzzkill for me before i knew anything else about it.

And sign me up for a 70 series.

Last edited:

Dougnuts

Ford put a diesel in the F-150 becouse everyone wanted it, well we could not give them away. Dont expect anymore small diesels in the US.

I think a lot of people wanted diesel F150s before gas and diesel engine efficiency and performance got as close as they have.

in Bronco news, my local dealer had about 8 to 10 of them when I stopped in last Friday.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
Well they charged a premium for a more complicated less capable engine that didnt get super spectacular mileage burning a more expensive fuel.

Interference engine with ten miles of timing belt (plus a belt on the back) was a big buzzkill for me before i knew anything else about it.

And sign me up for a 70 series.
This about sums up why I own an ecoboost. 4mpg difference on fuel that's a dollar a gallon less expensive in my neck of the woods, and an engine with a timing belt, DEF, and no chance I'm "deleting" anything with the epa the way they are these days.

I wanted one real bad though. My wife loves her bmw x5 diesel, and I loved my 6.0 f250 when it wasn't trying to self destruct.

skrypj

Ford put a diesel in the F-150 becouse everyone wanted it, well we could not give them away. Dont expect anymore small diesels in the US.

The problem was that Ford’s diesel was half assed. The Duramax and 3rd gen EcoD are better in basically every way. cheaper, more powerful, better mpg’s, lighter(more payload) etc.

That and the powerstroke had to compete with the Ecoboosts. The 2.7L is a $1000 option over the base V6 that gets nearly the same mpg real world as the $5000 diesel and makes an extra 75 hp. Sure the diesel had a little more low end, but by 3250 rpm the 2.7 is matching it, and still has a ton of reserve power left.

If Ford had brought it out in 2015 I bet it would have been more successful. It would have been competitive with the 2nd gen EcoD and the Ecoboosts were weaker back then.

Meanwhile, GM is doing extremely well with the 3.0.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Exactly - same thing would happen with all those 70 series Landcruisers people want Toyota to build until they saw the price tag and realized what a 130hp 6000 lb vehicle drove like.

Load of crap. The 70 series is a totally different animal, with a totally different market to a F150.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Anyone with a Big Bend or other non-LED headlight model care to elaborate on what the headlights are like? I have a Wildtrak on order, but frankly, may lower my standards somewhat given the cost/benefit ratio.

85_Ranger4x4

Anyone with a Big Bend or other non-LED headlight model care to elaborate on what the headlights are like? I have a Wildtrak on order, but frankly, may lower my standards somewhat given the cost/benefit ratio.

All Broncos have Led headlights.

Our black diamond with the base headlights are fine with me.

Nhtsa was less than impressed with either option though, there may not be a big performance difference between the standard and signature headlights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles