New Bronco

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Bronco is very CG/payload challenged. To the point Ford doesn't even allow paint protection film on sasquatch cars because of gvwr concerns.

They had a chance to one up jeep with a payload/tow package and so far they have shown no interest. Granted they have much bigger whales to fry at the moment...

MPG... totally nothing to brag about.

Our 2.3 Bronco on 32's is rated the same my V8 swapped ranger gets on 31's loaded for bear on cross county trips. Which is also pretty much the same my old F-150 gets. Nothing very impressive with high teens Hwy in the 2020's.
High teens highway in F150?
to get High teens in my 3.73 HD expedition I need to be doing 85-90mph or towing a trailer.
The bronco is a rolling square brick has always got terrible mileage. When I took my uncle’s 85 ish 351 v8 bronco it did 6-8mpg with top cruise speed of 70ish.
The modern bronco has 2x the power ?? and still easily does double the 6-8mpg the old bronco got.

oh and even the old bronco was a lousy tow rig. Too short, tail wagged the dog lots if you tried to tow stuff the pickups towed.

85_Ranger4x4

High teens highway in F150?
to get High teens in my 3.73 HD expedition I need to be doing 85-90mph or towing a trailer.
The bronco is a rolling square brick has always got terrible mileage. When I took my uncle’s 85 ish 351 v8 bronco it did 6-8mpg with top cruise speed of 70ish.
The modern bronco has 2x the power ?? and still easily does double the 6-8mpg the old bronco got.

oh and even the old bronco was a lousy tow rig. Too short, tail wagged the dog lots if you tried to tow stuff the pickups towed.

Meh, 17mpg at 75 in a 19.5 old 195k mile truck is fine by me. Better than an Expedition of the same year lol. Expy isn't even on my radar, I am thinking about maintaining my high teens and going 3/4 ton next time actually. Bronco is for my wife and is basically going to be the rural family car that hopefully doesn't keep getting stuck in snow like her current AWD Edge. Plus she can convoy with my on my offroading trips since the seat to butt ratio isn't so great with my Ranger anymore now that we have a kid.

IMO a lot of the Broncos problem is the gearing not it's brickesque look. It really isn't that square in person. There is a lot of curves in the bow and even windshield.

I think it is outer banks that has a tire/gear option similar to the ranger... and it is rated about the same as the Ranger. But you can't get automatic 4wd with that configuration for whatever reason though.

I really wish they would let a guy actually pick his ratio like they do in trucks. I would be perfectly content with 3.73's and 32's if it got me an extra 4mpg.

Granted this is just a rating and real world results are still far and few between, it is unlikely however possible that the test RPM hits certain ratio/tire combos at less than ideal RPM or something.

For towing at least the 4dr is not that really that short. It is an inch and change different than my '85 (rated to tow a thousand pounds more on a third the power, a rubber band A4LD and narrower track width) A shorter Defender is rated over twice as much while having around a ton for payload capacity. Ford's own Everest which is related to the Ranger/Bronco is even rated to tow almost 7k.

The carcass itself shouldn't be an issue, they just need to redo the suspension... maybe after they get done redoing the hardtops.

Last edited:

Jupiter58

The bronco was planned to go head to head with the wrangler. The hardtop issues have put them a step back in that regard. I doubt the ifs will ever make it into a hard core rock crawler like it’s solid axle target , but in all other categories it compares very favorably so far. They do have the motors and transmission that can give them an edge. Though the 3.0 diesel they put in the wrangler is pretty impressive with gobs of torque and a 500 mile range. If you want to gamble on a modern additive diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChasingOurTrunks

Apologies if this has been shared already; I'm not following the Bronco so I've not read this thread, but this news caught my eye:

Looks like they are testing an Overland trim package for the Bronco which hits a different segment than the existing Sasquatch/badlands/etc. packages. I take issue with the author of the article claiming that it's a "poser" overland vehicle because it lacks Beadlocks (I'd be willing to be the overwhelming majority of Overland travellers do not use bead locks) but otherwise it's potentially a neat new trim option.

Mako1114

Adventurer
Pretty Excited , driven 2 demo units and even the wife thought it was way better than our Jeeps.

I drove a Wilde Trak with Squatch package and I was very impressed. I am seeing quite a few around town that have the oem side steps and they weren't an available option when I ordered mine. I'm hoping the dealer can add them or i'll get some aftermarket sliders.

Cheers

watrboy

Observer
I drove a Wilde Trak with Squatch package and I was very impressed. I am seeing quite a few around town that have the oem side steps and they weren't an available option when I ordered mine. I'm hoping the dealer can add them or i'll get some aftermarket sliders.

Cheers
I got my email that said it was built on 10/10. Got the shipped email last night. Estimating 11/8 week. Dealer expects sooner because the trains are unloaded here in Laurel and my dealer picks up vehicles in the railyards. Not even loaded on a truck for delivery. I have seen almost all the Broncos for this region just driving past the rail yards every few days.
Went to Nascar race on Sunday at Charlotte Motor Speedway and Ford had a Bronco on display. My son and brother were impressed with the size and build. First look at a real one for both of them. My brother is meeting me in Moab for the Off Rodeo and he is really excited now. He is going to SEMA the week before Moab and expects to see alot of accessories this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles