New Bronco

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Here's a beefy 2.7....same engine and tranny that's in the Bronco.

Since the engine in my F150 (and the one in my Bronco, once I own one) will RARELY see over 2000 rpm, any tune that boosts power only at high rpms is worthless as far as I'm concerned.

Show me the torque curve from 1000 rpm to 2500 rpm. That's the only range I'm interested in. I want a truck, not a race car. But no doubt about it, the 2.7 is a stout little engine.

skrypj

The HO 3.5 EB like in the raptor is built for the max power. I wouldn’t want to push a regular 3.5 EB into the same territory. IIRC they both have forged rods and crank and a steel sleeved aluminum blocks. The HO has different pistons? Forged perhaps, plus different turbos, bigger intercooler etc.
I am not sure what they claim the limits are on the regular motor but a safe tune and not running at max boost for prolonged time should easily allow the motor to hit 250k miles. It is a very reliable motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The turbos between the raptor and regular 3.5L are essentially the same. The compressors are the same, the only difference is that the turbines are a lighter weight material.

D

Deleted member 9101

Since the engine in my F150 (and the one in my Bronco, once I own one) will RARELY see over 2000 rpm, any tune that boosts power only at high rpms is worthless as far as I'm concerned.

Show me the torque curve from 1000 rpm to 2500 rpm. That's the only range I'm interested in. I want a truck, not a race car. But no doubt about it, the 2.7 is a stout little engine.

That's very easy to do, especially since the 2.7 has little to no lag. Brew City Boost has an adaptive tune called MacGuyver that focuses on low end power for towing. I have that and a custom 93 octane towing tune that is all about low end power and using RPMs instead of boost while on the HW (better fuel economy and much less heat). If you tow you'll definitely see over 2k RPMs....lol.

As for being stout...the 2.7 will stretch it's head bolts and lift the heads before it will have an internal component failure. It's rediculous over built.

D

Deleted member 9101

So, here's my next dumb question. How much does all that kit cost?

Additional dumb question! I assume all that voids the warranty, too...?

That depends on how far down the rabbit hole you fall...haha.

A simple programmer and a couple of tunes can be had for around 500.00. A simply tune can add 60-80 RWHP with out sacrificing anything. After that it's all up to how much power do you want and how much you are willing to pay for it.

Here's my truck for an example:

-nGauge programmer + adaptive tunes: 500.00
-Custom tuning (93 octane performance and 93 octane towing): 250.00
-Larger intercooler (eBay clone of a Wagner) 400.00
-Down pipe with high flow cats (bought used): 400.00
-Intake: 150.00
-Larger throttle body: 400.00

I try to wait for things being on sale or finding them used. Right now I am shopping for a new blow off valve since my stock one can't hold at WOT...lol.

As for the warranty, it all depends on what happens and how far you go to hide the fact that you are not stock...lol. I believe that 5 Star Tuning offers power train warranties to cover modified vehicles.

D

Deleted member 9101

As for the Bronco, it has a lighter trans than a Ranger or 150... so keep that in mind too.

2.7 Bronco to f-150 also has smaller axles.

Which makes sense, the Bronco is rated to tow less and has a lower GVW.

85_Ranger4x4

Which makes sense, the Bronco is rated to tow less and has a lower GVW.

But still weighs over 5k...

I would have rather they used the same trans as the Ranger rather than the Explorer... which is still rated to tow more than the Bronco.

Maybe then they wouldn't have to dial back the 2.7...

D

Deleted member 9101

But still weighs over 5k...

I would have rather they used the same trans as the Ranger rather than the Explorer... which is still rated to tow more than the Bronco.

Maybe then they wouldn't have to dial back the 2.7...

Well... All of Fords 10 speeds are similar and they all have been pretty beefy.

As for dialing back the 2.7, my guess is it has more to do with heat than trashing drivetrain components.

D

Deleted member 9101

Increasing airflow/cooling would be easy, upen up the top row of slots in the grill and trash all the shutters.

Lol... The 2.7 makes a loooot of heat.

As for the shutters... Mine are gone on my truck... Only difference I've seen is the IATs are lower in town.

85_Ranger4x4

The 2.3 does too, that is why the ranger with its tiny grille opening is about the only Ford with single rear wheels still sporting a mechanical fan.

Bronco has more airflow available with its much larger grille.

For payload/towing they are not even close although the 2.3 Bronco does make a little more power. Ranger towing it's rated 7500lbs will make more heat than a Bronco with a bike rack or towing a lawnmower.

85_Ranger4x4

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles