New Bronco

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Ran the Bronco up Hurricane Creek here in NC, fun trail and the kids had a blast.

231501161_10225089628406401_1863173838431067315_n.jpg

231041814_10225089628726409_7974819682642752940_n.jpg

skrypj

So, as your name suggests you know a thing or two...what's the longevity like on a tuned Ford Turbo? Legit question that has additional importance now that Toyota's going to be running turbo 6's in the Tundra and global LC. Tuning a turbo makes me pinchy.

If your tuner retains the factory safeties, and doesnt just raise limiters way out of the way, then I think they can be extremely reliable long term. I mean, really, how much of the time you drive can you really be using more than the factory power/torque? A quick pull here and there is about it without ending up going well beyond the speed limit.

That said, a few of my tuners have definately made some questionable tweaks that caused me to stop using their tunes. Well known and comonly used tuners too. One of them shut down a thread over on F150Ecoboost.net when I questioned some of the limiters they lifted the other day.

There is really only one that I would trust to make an almost OEM safe tune at this point without specifically demanding it.

D

Deleted member 9101

So, as your name suggests you know a thing or two...what's the longevity like on a tuned Ford Turbo? Legit question that has additional importance now that Toyota's going to be running turbo 6's in the Tundra and global LC. Tuning a turbo makes me pinchy.

Well...that all depends on the tune, and the right foot and intelligence of the driver...lol.

I run a 93 octane tune on my 2.7 (I also have two adaptive tunes). While I make far more power than stock, my motor is not pushed to the limits in any way. While I know that there is some power "left on the table" I didn't sacrifice reliability or driveability. I used Brew City Boost, who is known for making reliable power.

Now, if a person was to run an E85 tune + meth and chase every last HP than you'll have problems.

Really, it's not an issue with the amount of sensor data that a modern uses to control performance.

D

Deleted member 9101

Also, just have a conversation with whom ever is doing the tune. Through a series of revisions, they can safely make power. I did my trucks tuning during the hottest part of the summer on my truck, just so there were no surprises when it's hot and my right foot gets frisky.

I use an nGauge to upload tunes and to monitor key data. The main one is knock, and it will alert me if there is any. I also monitor spark advance, engine temp, and my intake temp.

skrypj

Did anyone see how slow the 2.7L Bronco was on TFLCar? It barely outran an FJ Cruiser a mile above sea level and got destroyed by a Wrangler 4Xe.

That kinda solidifies my desire to get a 2.3L Manual Bronco. If its gunna be slow anyways, then I would rather just have the manual transmission and enjoy driving it.

85_Ranger4x4

Did anyone see how slow the 2.7L Bronco was on TFLCar? It barely outran an FJ Cruiser a mile above sea level and got destroyed by a Wrangler 4Xe.

That kinda solidifies my desire to get a 2.3L Manual Bronco. If its gunna be slow anyways, then I would rather just have the manual transmission and enjoy driving it.

A mile high vs a jeep with electric assist?

D

Deleted member 9101

They didn't do a "full boost launch" with the Bronco. It's not the Broncos fault the talking head from TFL can't drive. Put a competent driver behind the wheel and it would have looked very different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles