New Bronco

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I'd be curious to know what is different other than tuning. Do they have different cams? Different pistons/rods (material, cast vs. forged, compression ratio, etc)? Intake manifold runners designed with torque in mind? There is plenty of information about how the Rangers 2.3 is based off the Focus RS motor specifically and what parts they share.
I believe the difference is pistons, cams, turbo. Mustang has different cams and the turbo is the big difference.

85_Ranger4x4

I've had these thoughts as well. Supposedly, their electronics are a nightmare for swap integration, though. :(

I have heard that but when you don't know what someone's skill level is it is hard to go by.

I haven't gotten brave/serious enough to actually ask on a Land Rover page yet...

I know most domestic EFI is fairly standalone, key power here, battery power there, ground it, hook up gauges, put fuel to it and you are done. I would either go SBF or LS. Might be easier to run a carb intake and go something like a FiTech/Holley Sniper but roadside parts availability/support isn't there and more $$.

Gauges could be goofy, get a panel burned out and go Autometer if that gets too rowdy.

Then its down to how the lights and cabin electronics are wound into the system.

I believe the difference is pistons, cams, turbo. Mustang has different cams and the turbo is the big difference.

The Ranger version has some durability upgrades over the car variants too, different/bigger oil cooler (2 years later I don't remember if the car variants even have one) and a belt driven fan.

Bronco got a healthy power bump over the Ranger, I wonder what all got changed.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I have heard that but when you don't know what someone's skill level is it is hard to go by.

I haven't gotten brave/serious enough to actually ask on a Land Rover page yet...

I know most domestic EFI is fairly standalone, key power here, battery power there, ground it, hook up gauges, put fuel to it and you are done. I would either go SBF or LS. Might be easier to run a carb intake and go something like a FiTech/Holley Sniper but roadside parts availability/support isn't there and more $$.

Gauges could be goofy, get a panel burned out and go Autometer if that gets too rowdy.

Then its down to how the lights and cabin electronics are wound into the system.

The Ranger version has some durability upgrades over the car variants too, different/bigger oil cooler (2 years later I don't remember if the car variants even have one) and a belt driven fan.

Probably a tune, look at what 5 star does with these things. Even ford performance has a factory tune.

2.ooohhh

I've had these thoughts as well. Supposedly, their electronics are a nightmare for swap integration, though. :(

It’s all relative. No worse than any of the German swaps I’ve tinkered with. Currently in the planning stage of a r2.3 repowered D1. (Previously D2/m52, e36/s54, e30m3/s50b32, e30vert/s50)

FordGuy1

Adventurer

The power bump from what we were told is nothing more than a tune.

85_Ranger4x4

My guess Ranger is detuned because of cooling issues with higher tow capacity, but just spitballin, who knows.

Ranger did have cooling issues in testing supposedly, getting airflow thru the tiny global grille was the deal. Note why it is about the the only thing that size with a mechanical fan...

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I see over on the Ford Bronco forums that the new full-size Broncos are finally being delivered to their owners. And I'm here to say I'm weakening...love the looks and the specs. If one ever gets to a local dealer and I sit in it and find that it fits me I'll be getting a replacement for Old Blue....sold that truck 25 years ago and I've regretted it ever since.
73 Bronco 1994r.jpg

toddz69

Explorer
I I'll be getting a replacement for Old Blue....sold that truck 25 years ago and I've regretted it ever since.
View attachment 668563

My friend's dad picked up his new Bronco on Thursday and they were wheeling it at a Bronco event in PA on Friday :). They really like it although he says it needs some armor underneath for some of the vulnerable points - they were scraping rear lower control arm brackets even with the 35s on their Sasquatch package. I'll get one eventually too but in the meantime, I'll keep driving my Old Blue like yours. 40 years together this year...

Todd Z.

Grassland

The bronco is still listed as a future vehicle on Ford's Canada site lol.
Glad to hear they physically exist now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles