New Bronco

GB_Willys_2014

I've only read a single article so far that just laid out all the basics from the same press release every other article is regurgitating, but I believe they figured out the key to the Jeep magic by letting enthusiasts do the design work and actually executing. The key piece of evidence to my mind is the tree risers; no bean counter even knows what that is or would ever approve such a thing for what looks like a standard piece of trim. GM did it kinda by letting AEV sit at the table, but it needs to be done from the design phase rather than shoehorning something onto an existing platform. It reads like you'll be able to build an extremely competent rig of whatever off road flavor you choose with a full warranty. You're going to see a lot of high dollar Monroneys, and a lot of trucks that look fully built and ready for battle that never leave pavement.* Prices will be high for quite a while.

I think Chrysler's build quality and reliability have improved considerably with Fiat, and I've had too many bad experiences with Fords to ever consider owning another. If I remove my own biases though and look at the Wrangler/Bronco decision from the average Joe's perspective, it's looking like a no brainer... Were I in that market, I'd be tempted to wait a little to see what the aftermarket does, only because I see the two as being pretty evenly matched, with the Wrangler lightyears ahead in the aftermarket for the win.

*Full disclosure, I'm currently guilty of this with my Bison. To be fair though, we had a baby right before the pandemic broke out, and haven't really been able to do much anything since I took delivery.

Haha. I thought the same when I saw the kayak / limb riser attachment points.

Should cover it on a stock truck.

Agree.

Plus, just think how many threads on the interwebs will bemoan the stock drive-line's inability to handle factory 35's.

2.ooohhh

Haha. I thought the same when I saw the kayak / limb riser attachment points.

Agree.

Plus, just think how many threads on the interwebs will bemoan the stock drive-line's inability to handle factory 35's.

Looking at the “Sasquatch”package on a base it looks as if adds the 35” tires beadlock capable wheels, regears both axles to 4.72 while swapping the front diff out for the larger unit to support the new gearing. Looks like that’s a quite reasonable upgrade if your goal is 35”s or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Looking at the “Sasquatch”package on a base it looks as if adds the 35” tires beadlock capable wheels, regears both axles to 4.72 while swapping the front diff out for the larger unit to support the new gearing. Looks like that’s a quite reasonable upgrade if your goal is 35”s or so.

I think the package will sell well, it would be nice to buy the vehicle and leave it all stock.

jkam

nomadic man
The only negative comment I have is that Ford might have offered too many choices.
I know, a lot of choices is great for the consumer, not so much the manufacturer.

BuckinghamBuilt

I'm a current Jeep JKU owner and I'm definitely impressed with what I saw during Ford's official announcement video. One thing that was a disappointment for me as its a issue with JKs is payload capacity and I was hoping for a higher payload.

Never owned a ford and this would be 1st generation on the new platform but its on my short list.

Grassland

Being able to get the lockers and big tires on low trim without bells and whistles is the key here, and especially having a factory warranty.

I might be missing something but has anyone seen the fuel tank capacity?
I too haven't seen it. Hope it's not tiny.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I doubt it's good. Ford's always after those 4 star safety ratings.

30 gallons of fire, doesn't really fit that.

GB_Willys_2014

If Base + Sasquatch is < $40k, then it would be hard to justify a Rubicon.

Not too shabby. The wife really likes them and will skip over the desire for a Tacoma for one of these.

Uh oh... :D

Well, at least a car purchase has been delayed for 9+ months. :D :D

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
The guy who broke the frame of his Colorado became pretty famous when gm told him the warranty was void by his actions.

No, he was famous because it was proved that he knowingly lied about what really happened. It was his fault because he abused it. IIRC, the trailer he towed was way over the weight limit and he hit some whoops much too hard. GM knew that that wasn't possible in any kind of normal situation.

I accidentally towed a trailer with something over 900lbs tongue weight weight with my ZR2 in an emergency situation. The frame didn't bend, but I was driving prudently.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'm super stoked about this truck. One of my good friends is an engineer on this program, and I know how enthusiastic he is about it.

I only wish it would work for me, because I would love to have a 2-door manual trans. But I need to be able to tow and haul, so my ZR2 Diesel will stay. There's definitely a place for the Bronco in my dream car garage though. They really knocked it out of the park. I've done work for Chrysler and would never buy one of their vehicles, knowing what I know. It's great to have options.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I've done work for Chrysler and would never buy one of their vehicles, knowing what I know.
So, what do you know that would make you not want to buy one? Are you speaking strictly about a Chrysler specific model or all FCA...wait... Stellantis.... vehicles in general?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
From what I saw in the years that I worked at Dana Corp, serving the big 3, Chrysler far and away had the weakest engineering discipline, process and expertise. That was circa 2005, maybe things have changed, but I don't see much that would make me trust that.

That's all my opinion of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94