New bike suggestions

MTVR

I needed something different. Yamaha V-Max 1200 with turbo. I think we called it V-boost. Almost off'd myself on a bridge in Destin,FL when I hit somewhere between 145-155. Stopped looking when I got that front fork wobble.

I moved on to the current moto, a Yamaha TW 200. It's not fast, but I was able to find that front end death wobble at 70'ish while downhill with the wind at my back.

The "V Boost" on the Yamaha V-Max was not a "turbo". It was an extra butterfly in the intake manifold.

With a typical 7% speedo error, 145 mph indicated would be about 135 mph actual, which is about the top of third gear on some Sport-Touring motorcycles.

And unless there is something wrong with your motorcycles, the fork wobble that you keep encountering on them, is caused by you holding onto the handlebars too tightly. It can be made even worse, by sitting up in the airstream at higher speeds and/or locking your elbows.

Last edited:

MTVR

I'm definitely open to suggestions. I was just thinking that riding has some similarities to firearms training, in that bad habits can lead to very bad results. I'd rather start with a clean slate than have to unlearn things.

The BRC is offered regularly nearby, so I'd start with that and continue through some other MSF courses. I helped a guy on a BMW air up a few years ago in Death Valley, and he mentioned some off-road courses I might look into once I have some proficiency and experience.

Excellent...

GHI

Adventurer
So please share with us, as a lay person who hasn't had any competent professional rider training, the method that YOU would use to effectively steer a motorcycle to the left. Lean left? Push the bars to the left? Shift your weight on the footpegs? Some combination of those things? Something entirely different?

I would simply click the heel of my boot 3 times on the side of the frame I wanted the machine to move in. I can't compete with your knowledge, training and experience. I don't think it would even be mildly entertaining for somebody like you to discuss the dynamics of riding a moto with somebody like me. Thanks for the V-boost info. I thought it was weird the horn blasted every time I tapped what I believed to be the turbo button. I just thought it was a warning for everyone to watch out. I'm about to hit 7% slower than what I thought I was doing which still seemed really fun at the time.

Sorry @shade and everyone else viewing here. I'll move along. I can't wait to see what you get. For the record I'm not against training. All for it. In fact, if I don't have a Rona baby, my next bike will probably move me into participating in Rawhyde Adventures.

MTVR

I would simply click the heel of my boot 3 times on the side of the frame I wanted the machine to move in. I can't compete with your knowledge, training and experience. I don't think it would even be mildly entertaining for somebody like you to discuss the dynamics of riding a moto with somebody like me.

I am significantly less than "mildly entertained"- I am absolutely appalled that you would do 135 mph on public roads shared with other innocent motorists, when you don't even know how to steer a motorcycle. Counter-acting the throttle return spring is not a skill.

The true joy of motorcycling is riding. If you would like to learn how to ride a motorcycle, I would encourage you to start by taking the MSF BRC (Basic Rider Course).

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I ride my 250 Sherpa on the interstate all the time. Mostly short hops of 20-30 miles, it does fine and will do 70 all day.
I prefer not to, but I live full time in a small RV, so it's my do everything that I can bike. From grocery and laundry to carrying water.
It really is a Super Sherpa.

But, does yours have the pimp’in gold rims?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Shade-
Looks like a lot of great feedback and suggestions regarding your bike selection and direction on riding. I would only add and support to take a class. I’ve been riding since High School (Back about 2 weeks after the wheel was invented) and back then there wasn’t even a competency test, just written. Never really had any big bikes, the largest is still my KLR.
Fast forward to retiring and storing my bike for 3 years while doing the the Chief thing the wifey would only let me start riding again if I took a refresher class (Lots of weekend warrior crashes in the mountains each year And that concerned her.) What a great and confidence building experience. Learned a great deal regarding Colorado laws, made new friends and even won a gold star for best rider (kidding, just positive feedback from the Instructo) The course also helps educate you on gear (helmets, riding clothing, gloves, boots, etc....) which is just as important as the bike selection. Good luck and be safe!

Forgot to mention, graduating from a State recognized Riders Course may also lower your insurance rates and allow you to by pass the DMV written/competenay test since they just accept your certification from the course. Plus it’s just a couple of days on a weekend.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Another good option is the Yamaha TW200. I wouldn't ride it on the interstate for long (some guys do), but for exploring gravel roads and easy single track they are great. They actually make a really good platform for off-road expedition type work, lots of rack options, dirt simple, low seat height, great gas mileage and cheap. If you get a used one the resale is solid when you decide you want something different. As an experienced offroad rider, I'd love a TW200 for coffee runs and expedition type use on gravel roads.

With that said, I have 0 problems getting parts for any of my KTM's in the past. The 390 engine is very basic and reliable.

MTVR

The TW200 is a dinosaur from the '80s, and painfully built to a price point, a price point at which it is no longer a good value.

I don't necessarily dislike the TW200, but in comparison to the KTM 390, I see the TW200 as more of a bumper bike for a Winnebago in the state campgrounds. Technically the TW200 is street legal, so you could use it to get from the campground to the local convenience store, but like nickw said, I wouldn't take an asthmatic 12 horsepower motorcycle out onto the highway...

shade

I wanted to wrap up the thread with the end result, which surprisingly ended with a nearly new 2019 Honda CRF450L.

1588470424636.png

I was mulling over all of the 250cc options we'd been discussing, when a friend mentioned knowing a guy with a very lightly used 450L that he needed to sell to free up some money. I've been following @Tex68w's 450L thread and reading about it elsewhere, so I knew something about it. This is a far nicer bike than I deserve for a first bike, but with an assortment of good accessories at $7200 / 600 miles, I couldn't pass it up. The service intervals aren't great compared to some less high strung bikes, and I can live with the trade-off. Whatever dings it gets from me clumsily dropping it will add character, and I'll still have a great bike.

Thanks for the advice all of you provided, and feel free to pop over to my new thread to laugh at my muddling. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94