New Batteries Coming From Northstar

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
When I upgraded from the factory 160amp alternator to the aftermarket 270amp alt, I settled on 270 because that was the highest output I could find that would install with stock pulleys and serpentine belts. I want to be able to get a replacement belt in any boondocks parts store. Even though I carry the old one as a spare. Because one is none and two is one when things go wrong.

The newer PWs come with a 220amp alt, something like 380amp is an option, and they also offer dual 220s if my memory is correct. FCA realized that 160amp with a G65 battery was not cutting it on that truck.

A single massive battery bank would take up too much physical space in the truck, and get in the way of carrying other stuff. Seems more practical to generate necessary current than to store it. Batteries are heavy and my truck is already too heavy. The new ones are even heavier.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes weight/space density are the main reason to go to LFP if you can care for them well.

No trailing amps issue, so for regular house usage, 2-3 hours a week charging is plenty.

Also much less voltage drop when very heavy amp loads come online.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Yes weight/space density are the main reason to go to LFP if you can care for them well.
Looked at them yesterday, big $$$ and finicky. Probably not a wise choice for my situation.

I'm actually thinking about just buying Dekas because they are cheap and lots of guys like them. Just suck it up and plan to replace them every three years.

john61ct

Adventurer
Best value on the planet, Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, around $200 per 200+AH pair from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club.

They make good GEL too but pricey and finicky.

Avoid their other sealed / AGM.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Best value on the planet, Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, around $200 per 200+AH pair from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club.
They make good GEL too but pricey and finicky.
Avoid their other sealed / AGM.

Gel is out. 2x6 probably can't be made to fit, but I started looking at that yesterday.
Why avoid Deka AGM?

john61ct

Adventurer
Better than a big box retail "marine" pseudo deep cycle sure, but not great longevity, no where nearly as well made as Odyssey, Lifeline or Northstar

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
no where nearly as well made as Odyssey, Lifeline or Northstar
And that is the main reason I keep coming back to Northstar for the replacements. The Odyssey g31 went through another full charge/conditioning cycle overnight, finished at 12.21V after flashing off the surface charge. Climbed all the way back up to 12.30V after a three hour rest. It's now disconnected and will sit quietly until I fiddle with it next weekend.

jadmt

ignore button user
I just looked at my brother in-law's golf cart batteries that he just bought they are 12V 150 Ah@20 hours. he said they were $164 apiece thru a buddy at the local Interstate Battery store.
IMG_20180707_132642821_HDR_zpslig1ylrw.jpg

john61ct

Adventurer
Interstate does not make batteries, relabels JCI usually.

Meh.

Sorry if already posted here:

The best battery value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, around $200 per 200+AH pair from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club

jadmt

ignore button user
Interstate does not make batteries, relabels JCI usually.

Meh.

Sorry if already posted here:

The best battery value by far is Duracell (actually Deka/East Penn) FLA deep cycle golf cart batteries, 2x6V, around $200 per 200+AH pair from BatteriesPlus or Sam's Club
I never said it was made by interstate just bought at interstate :). For me a single 12V works better than two 6V simply from a space point. I will check out Duracell 12v of equal ah for sure. My brother in-law said he had a hard time finding 12V golf cart batteries as most are 6V. I am not familiar with golf carts so not up on them. I just happened to stop by when he was installing them. Still seems like $164 for a 150ah@20hr is a decent deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94