New ARB Tacoma bumper?

soonenough

Explorer
I recently read something (can't remember where now) about a new version of the ARB Bumper for the 2005+ Tacomas that will address the complaint that the current bumper doesn't allow for the triangular fog light inserts like the FJ bumper does. I've seen a write-up somewhere on the internet of a guy who added them to a Tacoma bumper, but it was a custom job that required cutting the holes, fabricating mounts, etc.

Yellow-Cruiser.jpg
tacoma_bull_bar.jpg

I noticed today that Toyota of Dallas has two different ARB bumpers listed on their website:

"ARB BUMPER 2005-2010 TACOMA"
"ARB BUMPER 2005-2010 TACOMA - with provision for fog lights incorporated on front"

Has anyone heard anything about this or seen any pictures? I figured it was hearsay until I saw this. I checked out ARB's website but didn't see any mention of it in the news section.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'd expect to see a new product announcement soon ;)
ARB Part# 3423030 is the old style, non fog
ARB Part# 3423130 is the new style with optional fogs (ARB Part# 6821201)

soonenough

Explorer
I'd expect to see a new product announcement soon ;)
ARB Part# 3423030 is the old style, non fog
ARB Part# 3423130 is the new style with optional fogs (ARB Part# 6821201)
Good call, just found this pdf on ARB's website under the Tacoma Application Guide which lists those two bumpers. I've always wondered why the fog light inserts weren't an option on the Tacoma bumper.

It has a note for the new style bumper that says "(MD02) Loom (180209) Switch & (180215) Cap required when fitting 6821201 to models without OE Fog lamps". Does the ARB utilize the factory fog light wiring and connectors to wire the IPF lights?

cruiseroutfit

...I've always wondered why the fog light inserts weren't an option on the Tacoma bumper.

Because the fog light inserts really came to light (lame joke) with the design of the FJC winchbar, however the Tacoma bar was already well on the market at that point. My guess is that the non-fog style will be discontinued as supplies dwindle down and those not wanting fogs will just run the blank inserts much like the other fog light equipped bumpers.

...It has a note for the new style bumper that says "(MD02) Loom (180209) Switch & (180215) Cap required when fitting 6821201 to models without OE Fog lamps". Does the ARB utilize the factory fog light wiring and connectors to wire the IPF lights?

Wiring yes, connectors no. You simply splice new connectors at the bumper, very clean install. If you don't have factory fogs you can use the ARB harness and ARB switch (which is the standard Carling switch) or you can pickup one of several different OEM Toyota switches and use an existing blank in your dash. If your out of blanks there are some trim panels you can use to add an additional blank.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
My biggest complaint with the ARB has always been the lack of holes for fog lights.
I figured they'd re-design it, eventually, so I waited... and waited...
I finally gave up waiting and bought one two months ago. AARGH!!! :mad: :smilies27 :(

:sombrero:

soonenough

Explorer
Because the fog light inserts really came to light (lame joke) with the design of the FJC winchbar, however the Tacoma bar was already well on the market at that point.
I didn't realize the fog light inserts were that new, I thought they'd been around for a while. It all makes sense now...

Wiring yes, connectors no. You simply splice new connectors at the bumper, very clean install. If you don't have factory fogs you can use the ARB harness and ARB switch (which is the standard Carling switch) or you can pickup one of several different OEM Toyota switches and use an existing blank in your dash. If your out of blanks there are some trim panels you can use to add an additional blank.
I guess that makes for a pretty simple installation. I was gonna ask if you can run a light other than an IPF, but if they're already wired up that way, it might not be worth the hassle of changing lights. Do the IPF fogs perform pretty well?

My biggest complaint with the ARB has always been the lack of holes for fog lights.
Same here, that's one reason I was always somewhat drawn towards other companies' bumpers that could run fog lights (Schrockworks, All-Pro, etc)

cruiseroutfit

I didn't realize the fog light inserts were that new, I thought they'd been around for a while. It all makes sense now...

There were other fog insert kits in ARB bumpers, particularly the newer 100 Series bar. However that kit is ~$300 for the 9249FCK versus ~$80 for the 6821201. Of course the 9249 came with the harness and the switch, figure that's a $50-100 value but for those with factory fogs it was just left with me :D

I guess that makes for a pretty simple installation. I was gonna ask if you can run a light other than an IPF, but if they're already wired up that way, it might not be worth the hassle of changing lights. Do the IPF fogs perform pretty well?

I suppose you could tweak the mounting, but its pretty specialized from the regular single post mounting of a light. I've got one here I'm installing and have pictures of past installs, I'd be happy to grab some pics of you like. The IPF lights have been very well received however I should not the 6821201 is not an IPF branded product rather an ARB marked unit. I don't fully know the whole ARB-IPF relationship but these are in fact a different light and mounting than the earlier IPF fog's such as those found in the FJC and 100 Series applications. That said I've had no complaints about the 6821201 but I've only installed a couple sets personally to play with. Again I've got a set here today going in a new 100 Series, I could snap any specific pics you'd like.

daverami

Explorer
That's a drag. I really wanted a fog light option when I bought mine.

How does the housing attach to the bumper? Would it be easy to just do a cut out and install the housing?

robert

Expedition Leader
I e-mailed them after I bought my ARB in 2006 about the fog light setups off the Hilux bumper. They sent me back a list of the part numbers and costs but it was over $300 for the setup so I passed. I had the list but a computer crash wiped it out. I keep meaning to add light buckets to mine but just haven't gotten around to it.

CodyB

Observer
I just got the new ARB bumper for my truck a couple of weeks ago. The fog lights and the mount were $70. I have not wired the fog lights yet. Hopefully, the new style will be worth the extra expense.

silvercruiser

Observer
Hi,
Attached are 2 more pictures. I can take more if you have any requests.
David...

Attachments

• P9130621.JPG
    P9130621.JPG
    435.7 KB · Views: 165
  • P9130622.JPG
    P9130622.JPG
    441.2 KB · Views: 150

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member