New Ambo Build?

gabeM

Hey guys.

First post here. I've been keeping an eye open for an ambulance to start a build with for a year or so. I'm in no rush to pick one up (obviously), but I may have just come across one that fits my needs. I though I'd see if anyone has any input before pulling the trigger.

1995 F350 w/7.3 powerstroke
Just over 90k on the clock
Just over 8,000 hours
Not sure on the manufacturer
Was used by a local swat team. Just pulled out of service.
No maintenance records on hand
Very clean for the year (or so I'm told... going to look at it soon)
Only known issue is with the AC

Looks like all of the equipment is included. I don't know the manufacturer. Floor to ceiling height is 67", so I may need to raise it a bit. Sounds like I can get it for $5,200. Any thoughts or things to watch out for that aren't outlined in the FAQ before I go check it out/possibly purchase?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Ambo.PNG
    Ambo.PNG
    702.5 KB · Views: 53

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The lights on the corners are proprietary to Wheeled Coach... they are well built.

The rear brake line rusts out along the inner frame rail in front of the rear axle.

The rear spring shackles will rust through and eventually crack.

Watch for rust on the frame. The hours on it are high for the mileage... however it is typical for an ambulance. My ‘97 was sold by the ambulance service with 13k hours and 160k miles.

$5200 seems like a decent price for what it is, if it is in decent shape.

gabeM

Thanks for the info; Much appreciated. I planned to give it a good look-over for rust issues.

Originally I had a 2000+ 7.3L in mind. Any reason to hold off for something newer? I'm fairly convinced I want something with the 7.3L, so at best I'd only be looking at 6 to 8 years newer.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I wouldn’t worry about getting a 2000+ 7.3 it that rig checks out. So long as the 95 has a turbo. You’ll likely want a turbo one way or another.

Not an expert by any means, but it seems single shot injectors are a better design than the ‘98+ splits. The singles are supposedly easier on the HPOP, and yield better fuel economy.

I don’t know those things first hand... but I’ve been called a liar for reporting my fuel economy on the highway. It has 17k+ hours on it, it’ll start below freezing without glow plugs, it seems quite compared to what others report, and it’s power is plenty for a 10k rig.

Last edited:

gabeM

Well, the black one had a little more rust than I'm comfortable with. It mostly looked like surface rust, but I'd rather not deal with it.

They had another one... 03 with around 160k miles. Asking the same price. It looked a lot better underneath and had a taller box that I could stand up in, which is a huge plus. The only issue I'm worried about on this one is some corrosion on the aluminum skin in a few places. I'm not sure if it's from dis-similar fasteners or paint peeling away and exposing the bare aluminum. Has anyone had experience with this? How does it compare to repairing iron based rust?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
It’s unusual to be taller as ambulances are very standardized. The extra height is an asset... most are 5’6”.

Mine had more rust on the tail end of the frame than I’d have liked, but it is still very solid... and for about $1000 I figured it was worth cleaning it up.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Nice Rig. Fair price.

It will look awesome after you 4x4 it.

Do It, Do It!

Hey guys.

First post here. I've been keeping an eye open for an ambulance to start a build with for a year or so. I'm in no rush to pick one up (obviously), but I may have just come across one that fits my needs. I though I'd see if anyone has any input before pulling the trigger.

1995 F350 w/7.3 powerstroke
Just over 90k on the clock
Just over 8,000 hours
Not sure on the manufacturer
Was used by a local swat team. Just pulled out of service.
No maintenance records on hand
Very clean for the year (or so I'm told... going to look at it soon)
Only known issue is with the AC

Looks like all of the equipment is included. I don't know the manufacturer. Floor to ceiling height is 67", so I may need to raise it a bit. Sounds like I can get it for $5,200. Any thoughts or things to watch out for that aren't outlined in the FAQ before I go check it out/possibly purchase?

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles