New Alu-cab Khaya Camper for sale in US - details with pricing now available

justbecause

perpetually lost
Still in waiting for the Khaya's to grow up for the full sized trucks. Nothing really needs to be changed other than having them fit in the full sized trucks. If they were to be full sized...would a long bed or regular bed be a better choice for the Khaya 2.0???

swap a flat bed onto a 6.5 ft full size, add boxes/storage under the khaya. if you already have a LWB put a truck bed fuel tank in front of the camper.

kb1ejh

I've been thinking about that too. Even mount it a bit to the rear and put a spacer in front of it. It would allow a storage bin for 20# propane tanks, fire pit, firewood, who knows what else. My other thought was just a topper/canopy on the bed for when the Khaya isn't in the bed, that's why I was deciding on a bed size. In a perfect world the Khaya would never come off of the truck and I'd be on the road traveling but sometimes we have to stay around the home...

Antangil

Right now we are a bit deep, our first two containers are sold out. I would say about 10 - 12 weeks at the moment.

Get Craig to get back to me - eager to get on the next shipment, just have to get some plans made to have y’all install some suspension upgrades at the same time I’m up there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Still in waiting for the Khaya's to grow up for the full sized trucks. Nothing really needs to be changed other than having them fit in the full sized trucks. If they were to be full sized...would a long bed or regular bed be a better choice for the Khaya 2.0???

The 6' Bed Full Size version is next up as it is the same length but a wider platform. :)

Haha awesome. If only this was available a year ago, I wouldn't have had to build my own.

In all seriousness this thing looks awesome. :)

Thanks man and sounds like a cool project. We will also be launching a "weekender" model this May that is a DIY guy's dream!

Get Craig to get back to me - eager to get on the next shipment, just have to get some plans made to have y’all install some suspension upgrades at the same time I’m up there. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig was helping you on a Khaya? Feel free to drop Chuck or myself a mail and we will get you sorted for our June landing shipment!

kb1ejh

Since the full sized are still hopefully in the design stages...any feelings on changing out the heater? I realize that the standard Khaya is designed for the global market and with the fill sized one being spec'd for the US/NA market perhaps now is a good time to ask? I'm not really a fan of the diesel heater and am liking the idea of the Truma Combi 4. Water and air heater both run off propane and can run independently so you can winterize the water system but still have the furnace in the sub freezing seasons. Might be more efficient than the 12v water heater? Since propane is already on board for the stove it can also be used for the furnace and water heater.

Err

Observer
For the full-sized Khaya... I have the rather common situation of a crew-cab full-sized pickup with a short (5'6") bed. I was starting to wonder if the Taco sized Khaya would be a good fit. I'm guessing it would be a bit narrow but otherwise work where a 6' version would give me use of the full width but stick out of the bed a bit.

Very curious to hear thoughts on what would make more sense.

I would imagine you can fry an egg. The deck of my aluminum (unpainted) flatbed gets extremely hot. It would be brutal painted black.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Understand the full size is under development. However . . . . I have a RAM with RAMboxes. I have been using an offroad trailer with an RTT as (obviously) the RAM's bed size is affected by the boxes, access, etc. for any kind of pop-up camper for the truck.

I have not seen anything on the OK4WD website that indicates the dimensions of the Khaya. Wondering if the size as currently manufactured would be actually better in my situation??? (May need something built up under the Khaya to clear sidewall height of the truck bedwalls, etc.)
That might not be a bad idea, here is a dimensional drawing to compare with your truck.

317oDXG.png

For the full-sized Khaya... I have the rather common situation of a crew-cab full-sized pickup with a short (5'6") bed. I was starting to wonder if the Taco sized Khaya would be a good fit. I'm guessing it would be a bit narrow but otherwise work where a 6' version would give me use of the full width but stick out of the bed a bit.

Very curious to hear thoughts on what would make more sense.

That may work as well, I attached some dimensions above let me know if you would like to discuss.

The black model must get pretty warm inside.

The silver and black units average about the same temp inside. They are lined with 25mm insulation and all exterior walls are cupboards adding another barrier for heat soak.

I would imagine you can fry an egg. The deck of my aluminum (unpainted) flatbed gets extremely hot. It would be brutal painted black.

Yeah you are not going to want to be sunbathing on top of a black camper :)

kerouac

Rino,
Thanks for all your up to date and articulate posts regarding the Khaya. We have been vey intrigued about this camper ever since watching Chris Shontz's videos. I am thinking the new 2019 Jeep Wrangler/Scrambler truck with the new diesel engine and a Khaya camper would be a pretty ideal setup. I recognize specs for the new Jeep trucks aren't fully out to market yet but, any thoughts on if this would be a doable combo?

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
We are giving serious consideration to the Khaya for our 2010 Tacoma. Once we finish up the build and get the camper on, I'll post a build thread with lots of awesome pictures. Thanks @rino for answering all my questions via email! If I can't track one down closer to home, I may fly out to see it in person first...hard to gauge it by pictures and videos alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles