New Alu-Cab Canopy CABIN full size

scott7022

Nobody
Ok went looking around the forum for some pics comments and the like and found the other new Alu-Cab thread but nothing on the cabin. So if I'm a tool and someone has already posted a thread mods please delete.

Let's see your full size pics, thoughts and opinions.

I've only seen one vid online and yeah I know this is new but...this is 2021 we're stuck at home and need access to info immediately. :)o_O I know Rin is a supplier and they even supposedly have a Canuck distributor.

Although they have been typically politely quiet with information.

Cheers and thanks.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I did think there was another thread for that one somewhere...

I've had a chance to crawl around in one now. It's very much what most people said they wanted - an ACCC for fullsize trucks.

My biggest disappointment is that the rear bed-hatch area is essentially the same as the ACCC - namely it makes for a very narrow rear opening with the rear portion of the bed up while the main bed is down.. I TOTALLY understand why they did this - the pop-top/bed portion of the assembly is identical to the regular Canopy Camper, this made it quicker to produce and limits the number of unique parts they had to manufacture.

That said, I would REALLY have liked it if they'd built it with a longer cabover and allowed for some more space aft of the bed platform so that one could stand up, move around, and possibly even do something like make coffee while the main bed platform is down. The "split bed platform" idea has never made sense to me since I see a 100% chance of waking my partner if I had to raise it while she were sleeping, and if I'm going to leave it up all the time, I'd rather just leave the thing out altogether. Having moved around in the Alu-Cabin, I almost immediately ruled out any ideas I'd had about using it for my intended layout - the space available aft of the bed platform is less than a shoulder's-width across for me, so if I want to turn around while the bed is down, I literally have to duck down to get my shoulders below the bed, pivot, then standup again.

The available overhead with the goose-gear system in place is also such that one cannot comfortably sit beneath the bed when the bed is in the down position. You could crawl in there to sleep, but if you plan to sit while the bed is down, you're again limited to that rearmost 12" or so, with the rear platform in the up-position. All in all, I think the Alu-Cab campers are a great bit of kit for either a single user, or two campers who are in-sync with their sleep/wake cycles. If you're a couple with one partner who likes to get up early (or stay up late) and be moving around while the other sleeps, the Alu-Cab is going to challenge you. For 3+ people (thinking a couple plus 1-kid scenario, like ours), even the Alu-Cabin is usable only as either a bunk-bed-in-a-box, or as a living space, but not for mixed use.

COAKXterra

For 3+ people (thinking a couple plus 1-kid scenario, like ours), even the Alu-Cabin is usable only as either a bunk-bed-in-a-box, or as a living space, but not for mixed use.

this is exactly why went with a AT habitat versus any of the other options in the genre, whether from AT or GFC or Alu-cab. A hunch I was able to confirm after several nights in the habitat before crawling around in other options at Expo. We wanted the stand-up living space AND the bunk available together and not have to choose or dink around with bed panels. If it was just me.... sure. but 2 adults, 1 mini, and two fuzzy pup companions.... we wanted that freedom of movement. Although I do have to say I do love the rear door instead of the tailgate/lift gate...

the trade off is obviously deploying the habitat vs the standard wedge or pop-up. But totally worth it in my mind

scott7022

Nobody
Thanks for the responses. This is the reason I belong to the forum! Good intelligent cliffside banter.
Yeah I get the points and love the ATT products as well. I agree the summit and atlas would be better for two plus configurations. The lack of cab forward usage does open up the opportunity for a gear basket forward of the camper shell on a crew cab. How big is yet to be determined. Also the rearward config might keep it off trees in twisty flex trails as I tend to bump the side of the roof right behind the marker lights. Seems perhaps geometry was taken into account.
For me personally having only seen them in person on small trucks. The rear door and tire relocation sell it. The more vertical walls, like ATT did for their Gladiator units is also a big plus.
thanks again for the posts. Looking forward to some pictures and solid weight “I installed it” numbers. Goose Gear did a bunch of work for the Unicorn one that showed up in Overland Expo. However nothing is on their website past the rear seat delete. Probably too busy making great gear and zero time for tech website upgrades.

For me it’s a two person rig on a capable platform. Ram Power Wagon with a little CJC suspension magic to handle the full time 75% payload max. The one unicorn had the RedArc manager 30 and total vehicle system placed in the rear drivers corner with a Goose Gear designed box for battery and RedArc gear. It looked good and had the typical ausie inspired controls to the rear for easy reach in use. Seems counter to the Bluetooth connected design. But to each their own. Think I’d rather have the expensive lithium batteries place in cab after doing the seat delete 100/60,or 40. Easier to maintain the battery environment and a little better place for weight distribution.
Anyway glad to see some chatter on the topic

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The more vertical walls, like ATT did for their Gladiator units is also a big plus.

Note that one additional side-effect of Alu-cab re-using the upper bed components on the Alu-Cabin is that the walls have significantly more angle vs. the midsize Canopy-Camper. Since the upper bunk and cap are the same width as the midsize version, they need to span the gap between the wider bed rails with more angle on the side walls.

scott7022

Nobody
Herbie, yeah I was thinking the same thing. The length changed and I am thinking the width at rail must have as well. How that change transfers to angle will be interesting to see. The unicorn video seems to show less…but so difficult. But we all have a guy, on this thread so we’ll know when he does.

designing around the angle for those, “the weather outside is frightful but” my fireplace is so delightful, times inside editing or watching videos is achievable with an angle. Just easier without. ATT I love, not bashing them here. I’ve been in one on a taco and a Ram. The Taco was tight at shoulder level sitting and the Ram wasn’t much better. When they straight sided to Gladiator I thought great job they’ll probably do the full-size the same way. So add an aluminis rear bumper and tire carrier and Bobs your uncle. Alas it wasn’t to be. Hey they are order account full and selling to back order so if it works why fix it. I get it. If my application was mid west,Moab, Cali I’d probably buy one. But for the rain forest northern west coast I need a little inside comfort. I am hoping this will be a little easier to achieve in the Canopy Cabin. But time, pictures and measurements will tell.

Flyelk1

Great points by all and I am glad to know that I am not the only one that considered, analyzed, and absolutely over thought about these same things to the point of insanity!

The angle to me is a non issue as it just didn’t seem that noticeable to me on the inside. On the outside, I actually like the lines better than the straighter lines of the ACCC. I finally resigned myself to the idea that the angle difference is not a make or break deal, for me.
Again, I love that there are so many knowledgable people to throw different ideas around on this forum. Thank you!

clintium

I placed my order for an alu cabin about 2-3 weeks ago. I don't have any more details about shipping yet. Curious if anyone has heard about the largest size tire you can mount on the rear tire carrier? I know they very clearly state it's 33" in their product data. I swear in one of the many videos I've watched someone had a 35" tire mounted no problem.

I'm assuming the size limitation is related to the door being able to swing fully open. The extra weight could also be a factor.

Just doing the rounds to see if anyone has tried out or knows the max tire size! Getting ready to buy some new tires for my Tundra and I'd love to stay at 35" or even go up to 37".... Seems unlikely to hold a 37" tire though!

Bushmaster5K

I placed my order for an alu cabin about 2-3 weeks ago. I don't have any more details about shipping yet. Curious if anyone has heard about the largest size tire you can mount on the rear tire carrier? I know they very clearly state it's 33" in their product data. I swear in one of the many videos I've watched someone had a 35" tire mounted no problem.

I'm assuming the size limitation is related to the door being able to swing fully open. The extra weight could also be a factor.

Just doing the rounds to see if anyone has tried out or knows the max tire size! Getting ready to buy some new tires for my Tundra and I'd love to stay at 35" or even go up to 37".... Seems unlikely to hold a 37" tire though!
You should call Dan at Tiny Rig, he is running a 35" spare on his Taco.
Tiny Rig installed our Alu-cab. You can also call Rin @ OK4WD.

Safe travels

Lee S

If anyone is interested, due to unseen circumstances, a 6.5 ft Alu-Cabin is available at Ashesville Vehicle Outfitters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94