New All Terrain Tire from Nokian, Outpost AT

Bama67

New all terrain option from Nokian. Called the Outpost AT.
Snowflake rated, deep 18/32 tread depth
I've had mine about a month and am pretty impressed.
I live very rural on a rough muddy road that gets tons of snow.
Pretty chunky in person, much more so than their existing AT called the Rotiiva, about equal in looks to my Falken AT3W but less aggressive than my Baja Boss ATs

Very quite and smooth, much better than the worn out duratracs that came off this truck. I don't think quite as good off-road as the Baja Boss, but that tire is amazing and the best I've ran in the mud and snow. Better than the Falken AT3W so far.
The new compound Falkens I have suck in the slick snow and ice. I had some years ago that were much better.
I used to love the AT3W, but no longer since the change.
One huge difference to the Baja Boss is weight.
This Nokian, despite being a LT275/70r17 (33") E rated tire, is very light.
From what I can find online this tire weighs 49.4 lbs
The same size Baja Boss is 65.5lbs!
This is noticable weight savings.
The Falken AT3W is 63lbs.

Not sure how Nokian pulled this off but we'll see if it affects durability.
I should find out as I am pretty hard on tires, this truck usually has 2,500lbs or so in the bed.
Another big plus is when I bought these last month they were around $200 a tire, saving me over $100 each vs most of the competition.
So far very pleased with them.

IMG_20220315_173135790.jpg

Bama67

I also wasn't stoked how I was paying premium prices for the Falken yet it was made in Thailand (and some are made in China)
I had read that the Nokian AT is made in Tennessee.
Apparently they're "moving" production to TN as when I received my Outposts, they were made in Russia.
Oh well, hopefully that means they're made for great snow performance.
We'll see. Our snow is mostly all gone. So far just slush and mud.
IMG_20220315_174127170_HDR.jpg

bjp

Rez roamer, dog wrangler
Very interesting. Those do look quite different than the Rotiivas. Despite being pretty hesitant, I ended up going with the Rotiiva after getting my new Tundra back in the fall. On paper, it seemed like the best compromise all the way around. Boy was that the right move. They have been awesome. Quiet, wear very well, light (sub-50lb for 265/70r18 E load range), awesome in snow, just as good on rez roads. Will be watching for more reviews of this new tire over the next couple of years (it’ll be that long before I need new tires). I wonder if this is replacing the Rotiiva?

Last edited:

Grassland

Very interesting. Those do look quite different than the Rotiivas. Despite being pretty hesitant, I ended up going with the Rotiiva after getting my new Tundra back in the fall. On paper, it seemed like the best compromise all the way around. Boy was that the right move. They have been awesome. Quiet, wear very well, light (sub-50lb for 265/70r18 E load range), awesome in snow, just as good on rez roads. Will be watching for more reviews of this new tire over the next couple of years (it’ll be that long before I need new tires). I wonder if this is replacing the Rotiiva?
It seems to sort of fill a different niche than the Rotiiva to me. It's more aggressive.

bjp

Rez roamer, dog wrangler
Well, I looked and the Rotiiva is listed as “discontinued” on the Discount Tire website, so I went to the Nokian website, where I saw the Outpost is the only all terrain that they have listed. Guess that answers my question.

Explorerinil

Observer
Well, I looked and the Rotiiva is listed as “discontinued” on the Discount Tire website, so I went to the Nokian website, where I saw the Outpost is the only all terrain that they have listed. Guess that answers my question.
Do they still make the rockproof tire? I would consider that an all terrain.

bjp

Rez roamer, dog wrangler
Do they still make the rockproof tire? I would consider that an all terrain.

I can’t find the Rockproof on their website, so I guess it is gone. I guess I lied when I said the Outpost AT is the only AT on the Nokian site. They also have the Outpost APT, and it looks like you can still get the Rotiiva in one size (LT265/70r17). But *I can’t* get any Nokian AT tire other than the Outpost AT (bc of size needed) unless I were to find some remaining Rotiiva stock somewhere. The Outpost is their AT tire moving forward, it would appear.

moderndaynorseman

I can’t find the Rockproof on their website, so I guess it is gone. I guess I lied when I said the Outpost AT is the only AT on the Nokian site. They also have the Outpost APT, and it looks like you can still get the Rotiiva in one size (LT265/70r17). But *I can’t* get any Nokian AT tire other than the Outpost AT (bc of size needed) unless I were to find some remaining Rotiiva stock somewhere. The Outpost is their AT tire moving forward, it would appear.

Jacobm

I bought a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk recently and I think my next set of tires on it will be Nokians whenever the house-brand Wildpeaks wear out. I had some Nokians on a daily driver a while ago and I really enjoyed them. It also helps the tire shop closest to my house sells a lot of Nokians so they've usually got a wide variety in stock.

Northland

These look a lot like the old Nokian Vatiivas. I put them on my wife’s new 4Runner back in 2012 and was impressed enough that I had a local shop track down a set in South Dakota after they had been discontinued for the used 2007 4Runner I bought a few years later.

They were technically a “mud” tire, but were pretty versatile and would go through anything.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Looks like a good option for my likely next tire in a 285/75r17 but I cannot find anyone anywhere with it in stock or even listed other than on the Nokian site.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Well I got a surprise flat on my stockers so I just had a set of 4 of these Nokians installed in my stock 275/70r18 size. Tire prices and gas is kinda nuts right now so it was hard to justify new 17" methods and the 285/75r17s for barely more clearance.

No noticeable power loss going to a e load in a heavier tire but I have 400hp and a 9spd. Stark difference from my Toyotas that felt every pound haha.

I'll update once I use them more but the tread depth is awesome!

aknightinak

It was tough to find a 35 AT around here this spring that wasn't an off-brand or BFG. I opted for these in the LT 315/70/17. The F-rated tire comes in almost half a pound lighter than my D-rated, studded LT3s. Initial impression is positive; it's a much tougher-built tire than the Rotiiva. I was party to a couple of failures of those in C & E that left me skeptical about Nokian's non-winter game. A customer even came in as they were being mounted with a failed Rotiiva---and zero left to be found in that size. Side-by-side, the Outpost AT has a much more rugged carcass. They are near silent, though. I can detect a little bit of a tone with a thousand miles on them now, but I really have to listen hard for it.

Tread depth is impressive for an all terrain. Void space was a consideration, too. My favorite places to backcountry-it are in lockers and Swampers country, but I had to be reasonable about how often I get to do that any more versus how many road miles the rig sees and how relatively unbuilt it is, without even a winch still. These are no MT for sure, but the voids looked better than the comparables that the shop had on the floor---both the last and new Toyo and Yokohama ATs and the not-an-option BFGs. The Yoko X-ATs did have bigger void space and a more MT design, but the through-cut shoulder blocks made me figure they'd mud-load like any other AT would where an MT was 'required'.

I haven't really been able to pace them but did get into a little snow on a hawkwatching trip up north and then yesterday ran up a marginally maintained forest service mountain road: half muddy, half still glaciating out from winter, potholes from hell. They've let me idle through anything messy in 2wd without slipping at all, stopped forward motion readily if I braked on anything slick. I'm eager to get them on a trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles