New All Terrain Tire from Nokian, Outpost AT

incogneato

New all terrain option from Nokian. Called the Outpost AT.
Snowflake rated, deep 18/32 tread depth
I've had mine about a month and am pretty impressed.
I live very rural on a rough muddy road that gets tons of snow.
Pretty chunky in person, much more so than their existing AT called the Rotiiva, about equal in looks to my Falken AT3W but less aggressive than my Baja Boss ATs

Very quite and smooth, much better than the worn out duratracs that came off this truck. I don't think quite as good off-road as the Baja Boss, but that tire is amazing and the best I've ran in the mud and snow. Better than the Falken AT3W so far.
The new compound Falkens I have suck in the slick snow and ice. I had some years ago that were much better.
I used to love the AT3W, but no longer since the change.
One huge difference to the Baja Boss is weight.
This Nokian, despite being a LT275/70r17 (33") E rated tire, is very light.
From what I can find online this tire weighs 49.4 lbs
The same size Baja Boss is 65.5lbs!
This is noticable weight savings.
The Falken AT3W is 63lbs.

Not sure how Nokian pulled this off but we'll see if it affects durability.
I should find out as I am pretty hard on tires, this truck usually has 2,500lbs or so in the bed.
Another big plus is when I bought these last month they were around $200 a tire, saving me over $100 each vs most of the competition.
So far very pleased with them.

View attachment 715130
Looking forward to hearing how these work out for you; especially anything in comparison to the Baja Boss AT, as these are the two tires I’m down to selecting one, or the other.

Bama67

I still like them fine. will have to see how the Nokians do when the deep snow and ice rolls around.
Gonna be hard to beat the Boss AT. That's my favorite tire ever.
I have those on my Tundra and they are simply amazing. I got stuck on my driveway with my Falken AT3W's on my other truck and the Baja Boss pulled around it, then helped pull it up the hill.

incogneato

I still like them fine. will have to see how the Nokians do when the deep snow and ice rolls around.
Gonna be hard to beat the Boss AT. That's my favorite tire ever.
I have those on my Tundra and they are simply amazing. I got stuck on my driveway with my Falken AT3W's on my other truck and the Baja Boss pulled around it, then helped pull it up the hill.

Good to hear. I’ve decided to stick with OEM size 265/70R16 for my Tacoma, which limits me to SL load with the Baja Boss AT, but I still think it’s the tire I’ll go with. There is a LOad E Outpost AT catalogued, but there are none currently available from any authorized Nokian dealer in the US, and it it unknown when that might change.

aknightinak

In what regard? I haven't crawled them to attest to stickiness, but I had an easier time than the park ranger negotiating a washout that closed the road I was at the back of---picture a football field of rock and boulder moguls after the creek got done reclaiming it. Otherwise, I've just pinched them between boulders on multi-terrain trails here and again and run them in generally rough country. Durability still seems to be there. When I've known I should check the sidewall after something questionable, they've been unmarred.

Differently, a week or so back, I took advantage of the light traffic, heavy rain, and long stud-ruts of standing water to learn I couldn't really hydroplane them. They evacuate the water back down to road really well.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Not cheap but really impressed with my BFG Trail Terrains new tire as of September 2021. They are a hybrid AT so more Highway performance with better AT durability and 3peak snow performance which has been really good so far.

WVI

Adventurer
I road in a neighbors truck yesterday, and he had recently had the Outpost installed.
It was the first time he'd tried them in the snow, and they worked well. )only a few inches of melting snow and ice) They road and handled nicely.

I recently picked up a set of Tundra rims that had bought them with the outpost and swapped them to a new set of rims.
I was very surprised at the amount of weight that was stuck on the rims for balance.

sedole

I've had a set of Outpost AT on my 2011 LX570 for a couple thousand miles now so wanted to share my 2 cents. Performance can be very vehicle specific and subjective so take with grain of salt.

CO based, just a little south of Denver. Haven't gotten to wheel with them yet, but plenty of snow testing and a little bit of snowy forest roads. Snow performance both icy/snowy roads and several inches of untouched snow is great. I've had first-hand experience with wildpeaks, ko2s, defender LTX, wrangler authority, yokohama x-at, discoverer AT3, and kenda klever at2 on my personal vehicles. Of all the tires I've tried, these Outposts are definitely near the top for snow performance. On road especially icy/hardpack snowy conditions they're pretty comparable to the wildpeaks and defenders--which is quite good. The only tire of the group that I felt was better in those conditions were the wrangler authorities. In deeper snow these definitely perform much better than all of those previous two. The only tires that did better in my experience were the ko2s (only by a small margin) and the wrangler authorities, which best them by a decent margin.

On road performance is superb as well great dry and wet grip. Extremely quiet. Quieter than wildpeaks and nearly just as quiet as the defenders. On asphalt roads, just as quiet as the defenders, but on concrete road surfaces they are a touch louder. About equal to the yokohama x-at which were incredibly quiet. Noise levels are also wifey approved--she complained about the KO2s and Klever AT2s especially. Didn't ride much in the trucks that had the wranglers.

Road noise ranking quietest to loudest: Defenders > Outpost AT = Yokohama X-AT > Wildpeaks > Discoverers > KO2 > Klever AT2 > Wrangler Authority

Hardpack snow/icy roads best to worst: Wrangler Authority > Wildpeaks = Outpost AT = Defenders > Discoverers > KO2 > Klever AT2 > Yoko X-AT

Deep snow best to worst: Wrangler Authority > KO2 > Outpost AT > Wildpeaks > Discoverers > Defenders > Klever AT2 > Yoko X-AT

Edit: should also mention that I have size 285/65/18 in load range E. Mounted they come out to 32.5" and they weigh 53lbs per tire.

52644064280_1016e757e6_o.jpg

52644097378_598dfd3466_o.jpg

52644993307_5238b0ae98_o.jpg

Last edited:

bjp

Rez roamer, dog wrangler
I've had a set of Outpost AT on my 2011 LX570 for a couple thousand miles now so wanted to share my 2 cents. Performance can be very vehicle specific and subjective so take with grain of salt.

CO based, just a little south of Denver. Haven't gotten to wheel with them yet, but plenty of snow testing and a little bit of snowy forest roads. Snow performance both icy/snowy roads and several inches of untouched snow is great. I've had first-hand experience with wildpeaks, ko2s, defender LTX, wrangler authority, yokohama x-at, discoverer AT3, and kenda klever at2 on my personal vehicles. Of all the tires I've tried, these Outposts are definitely near the top for snow performance. On road especially icy/hardpack snowy conditions they're pretty comparable to the wildpeaks and defenders--which is quite good. The only tire of the group that I felt was better in those conditions were the wrangler authorities. In deeper snow these definitely perform much better than all of those previous three. The only tires that did better in my experience were the ko2s (only by a small margin) and the wrangler authorities, which best them by a decent margin.

On road performance is superb as well great dry and wet grip. Extremely quiet. Quieter than wildpeaks and nearly just as quiet as the defenders. About equal to the yokohama x-at which were incredibly quiet.

Road noise ranking quietest to loudest: Defenders > Outpost AT = Yokohama X-AT > Wildpeaks > Discoverers > KO2 > Klever AT2 > Wrangler Authority

Hardpack snow/icy roads best to worst: Wrangler Authority > Wildpeaks = Outpost AT = Defenders > Discoverers > KO2 > Klever AT2 > Yoko X-AT

Deep snow best to worst: Wrangler Authority > KO2 > Outpost AT > Wildpeaks > Discoverers > Klever AT2 > Defenders > Yoko X-AT

52644064280_1016e757e6_o.jpg

52644097378_598dfd3466_o.jpg

I’m glad to hear this assessment. I’ve been running the now discontinued Rotiiva since I bought my ‘21 Tundra new a year and a half ago, and have been blown away with how well they handle snow and slush and even icy conditions. I’ve only got 20k miles or so on them, but have already started worrying about what I’m gonna do when it’s time to get tires again ?. The first few pics I saw of the Outpost didn’t really look like it was a comparable tire, but seeing them actually on a vehicle in your pics, and reading your assessment, puts my mind at ease. That’s what I’ll be getting when it’s time for new tires, unless I win the lottery and decide to go with the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate.

I don’t do any technical trail driving, but do drive lots and lots of rez roads (which can be anything, and barely even roads sometimes) and lots and lots of snow driving (when we have a real winter, which we certainly are this year in the 4 Corners area). Other than kinda wimpy sidewalls (for an E load range) the Rotiivas have been perfect.

Reactions: WVI

sedole

I’m glad to hear this assessment. I’ve been running the now discontinued Rotiiva since I bought my ‘21 Tundra new a year and a half ago, and have been blown away with how well they handle snow and slush and even icy conditions. I’ve only got 20k miles or so on them, but have already started worrying about what I’m gonna do when it’s time to get tires again ?. The first few pics I saw of the Outpost didn’t really look like it was a comparable tire, but seeing them actually on a vehicle in your pics, and reading your assessment, puts my mind at ease. That’s what I’ll be getting when it’s time for new tires, unless I win the lottery and decide to go with the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate.

I don’t do any technical trail driving, but do drive lots and lots of rez roads (which can be anything, and barely even roads sometimes) and lots and lots of snow driving (when we have a real winter, which we certainly are this year in the 4 Corners area). Other than kinda wimpy sidewalls (for an E load range) the Rotiivas have been perfect.

Glad it helps! I couldn't find much info on them out their either but when I saw them for sale at $237 a pop I gambled on it and I'm glad I did! I was very pleasantly surprised. I'd buy them again for sure.

aknightinak

I'm getting eager to put mine back on, may even get them their own set of wheels this year. I'm cool with a fad (Arctic Trucks) when it brings a true winter 35 (315) to market, and with the ungulate killing snow-rain-freeze cycles we have, I was glad to have put the Hakkapeliittas on by mid-November. iPikes are popular, so I'd have to figure them capable, but when it comes right down to it, it's a cheaper knockoff of an expired Nokian patent and just not the same rubber or stud technology.

The Outpost did great, though, with shoulder season snows and ice fog and light freezing rain glaze, leaps and bounds better than I thought the Rotiivas did and are proving to be a much tougher tire despite their light weight for an F-load. Of ATs I've used in winter weather, the Outpost is the least scary, followed not very closely by some Michelin LTX M&S I had. I'd put the Rotiiva behind those in the same neighborhood of older Cooper STs, and BFG okKOs somewhere way, way at the end with the Nitto ExoGrappler, the 3PMS AT that they were so proud to release. I even had a studded set of those, miserable on all terrains including dry pavement, imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94