new air conditioning option on kickstarter

herm

Adventurer
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1253665084/zero-breeze-the-worlds-coolest-portable-air-condit

This looks like the perfect solution to those looking for an A/C unit. efficient rotary compression R-134a and an integrated battery pack in a space efficient design. also able to hook it up to whatever power source you can figure out through an aviation connector.

a bit pricey, but compared to other compressor driven cooling its really not a bad deal for all the features that are positives to our hobby.

Rando

Explorer
I am wondering just how much cooling capacity 1100 BTU's really is? I don't have a good sense what sort of volume this would cool. For reference, it seem to be about 5X smaller than any other AC unit I could find. As an aside - ****** do people still use BTU's as a unit of energy!

herm

Adventurer
that is the big question: would it actually cool a truck camper size volume? anyone better at the theory/math involved that can shed some light?

camper357

Observer
Looks like it is geared towards the gullible coolest cooler crowd. My air conditioner has an led light, a USB plug, and it is a bright color.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Looks cool. Heh. Super low BTU output, I've read 12k is needed to cool a large semi cab for instance, but I like the idea of personal cooling. That 12k BTU is cooling allot of things other than you. Not very efficient. Could be a good solution for military vehicles. We will see.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Based on these numbers, this would not even be sufficient to cool a well insulated truck camper:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...nerator-powered-campers?p=2145608#post2145608

Not only that, where the hell does the HEAT go?

There is no free lunch. If you are actually creating cool air, you are sucking the heat out of the air.

So where does it go??

The thing looks to just sit on a shelf or table. In order to actually work in an enclosed space, it needs to pump the heat OUT of the space.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Looks cool. Heh. Super low BTU output, I've read 12k is needed to cool a large semi cab for instance,

Lots of glass, next to nothing for insulation, and residual heat (lots of it) from the engine, trans, and exhaust.

Yes, it takes a lot of BTU.

For a small well insulted camper, not so much.

DaveNay

Adventurer

There is no free lunch. If you are actually creating cool air, you are sucking the heat out of the air.

So where does it go??

The thing looks to just sit on a shelf or table. In order to actually work in an enclosed space, it needs to pump the heat OUT of the space.

Thermodynamics is so 20th century.

herm

Adventurer

So where does it go??

There is a hose just like other portable units.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat

So where does it go??

If you watch the promo video it shows a retractable duct hose thingy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles