New 270 Awning available.

alia176

Explorer
I read and watch a ton of review of products before I purchase them. Surprisingly, there is still 10%-5% misinformation or the product could have possibly changed.

MOST IMPORTANT NOTE: Instructions say (only self supportive during packing and deployment) The bars on the awning each also have a red warning label saying ( .. only self supportive during packing and deployment). I got this awning bc it says "self supportive for normal/mild conditions" on the OVS site and Morris 4x 4 site.

what an awesome review, thanks for taking the time to post up. Sounds like this awning is not meant to be free standing during normal usage but most probably do it anyway.

QPDO

Observer
There is ZERO information on-line about installation instructions for the QuickPitch 270 awning. I'm trying to sort out a roof rack modification for my Jeep JKU with the Rhino Rack/Backbone system with cross bars, but cant find any details on requirements like the Bush Company has. I.E. hinged corner can be no more than XXX mm from the first bracket, and the second bracket cant be any less than XXXXmm from the first bracket. Can anyone help me out?

alia176

Explorer
There is ZERO information on-line about installation instructions for the QuickPitch 270 awning. I'm trying to sort out a roof rack modification for my Jeep JKU with the Rhino Rack/Backbone system with cross bars, but cant find any details on requirements like the Bush Company has. I.E. hinged corner can be no more than XXX mm from the first bracket, and the second bracket cant be any less than XXXXmm from the first bracket. Can anyone help me out?

Morning,
I'm not sure if this will help but maybe give you some ideas to noodle on. I made four brackets to support my Bush awning and brackets #3, #4 are close to the hinged area. During freestanding mode, there is considerable amount of leverage on the load bars near the hinge so I opted to add a fourth load bar. Hopefully the pics will illustrate my point better.

I'm using Thule gutter mounts and Thule load bars. HTH!

1642944380018.png 1642944397946.png 1642944552054.png

tlin

Adventurer
...... My current awning is robust and I deploy it at a moment's notice w/o even thinking about the wind.

Which awning do you have?

Edit.....nevermind - it's funny asking a question from an earlier page only to see it land here directly beneath your post above detailing........which awning you have. :)

Last edited:

alia176

Explorer

Curious if this issue has been resolved and if so, please provide some documentation that may help others!

tlin

Adventurer

This should help a bit ..... that Alu Cab rear bracket seems to be a "must have"; I've no idea if Quick Pitch sells their own equivalent (to your point, details are a bit sparse for this product).

Last edited:

tlin

Adventurer
You're welcome and excellent work on the spreadsheet, fellow enginerd :)

What is interesting is the psychological aspect of owning an awning. If you have to anchor it every time, you're less likely to deploy it, IME.

Fellow Enginerd here and that guy nailed it with the bolded/italicized piece above. Been there, done that. The only reason I'm considering replacing my current 270 is for this very reason.....I'm ALWAYS hesitant to use the damn thing.

My $.02 - and only being interested in "pole-less" designs, I share my version of a wee-bit of due diligence below. Yes, ALL awnings require some degree of tethering/additional support under heavier wind/rain.....and put 'em away when it's nasty out - no exceptions.

Ideally, the Quick Pitch would be made by Kinsmen and offered in the same manner as his product is, would weigh the same as the Darche Eclipse G2 (48 #'s) and cost what the OVS Nomadic does ($850 - currently on sale). Life ain't perfect......anyway, I'm currently considering the Quick Pitch (although I honestly don't know where to buy it) with the Ostrich also a consideration (I don't trust it's actually 120SF in coverage). Here's the data behind my analysis if you're interested.....cheers:

1645058916383.png

Last edited:
Kinsmen looks fantastic construction wise but doesn’t look like it actually covers much at all. The awning is tiny and that price my gawd

alia176

Explorer
Fellow Enginerd here and that guy nailed it with the bolded/italicized piece above. Been there, done that. The only reason I'm considering replacing my current 270 is for this very reason.....I'm ALWAYS hesitant to use the damn thing.

My $.02 - and only being interested in "pole-less" designs, I share my version of a wee-bit of due diligence below. Yes, ALL awnings require some degree of tethering/additional support under heavier wind/rain.....and put 'em away when it's nasty out - no exceptions.

Ideally, the Quick Pitch would be made by Kinsmen and offered in the same manner as his product is, would weigh the same as the Darche Eclipse G2 (48 #'s) and cost what the OVS Nomadic does ($850 - currently on sale). Life ain't perfect......anyway, I'm currently considering the Quick Pitch (although I honestly don't know where to buy it) with the Ostrich also a consideration (I don't trust it's actually 120SF in coverage). Here's the data behind my analysis if you're interested.....cheers:

View attachment 707784

I LOVE when a fellow enginerd chimes in with data!

I have some opinions on the Bush 270XT (not max). I think the rear coverage leaves a little to be desired due to the angle of the last rafter arm. It cuts the rear of my vehicle off at an angle and during rain events, the spare tire gets wet. Consequently, the fold out table that's attached to the spare tire swing also gets wet so I have to adjust my kitchen accordingly. My old Batwing had better coverage than my Bush but it's all a compromise, as we all know. I've stated this before, I don't care about covering the driver front door area and wanted a tad lighter awning, hence my choice of awning. YMMV, as they say.

Again, I knew all this going in but my priority was ease of setup, ease of zipping up and a general "no fuqs given" attitude when it comes to wind. I simply don't give a poop if a wind gust comes up with my Bush. I don't panic and start looking to guy everything down :rolleyes: Flapping of the panels during wind is annoying if you're trying to sleep so if you guy down the mid-spans using the D rings, this totally eliminates the flapping as well makes me feel better about going to sleep with the awing being deployed all night.

I'll be doing the AZ Peace trail next month and it'll be windy! Spring time in the SW brings a lot of wind.

My pics above show this already but I made my own mounting brackets and I don't have a roof rack, FYI.

tlin

Adventurer
Kinsmen looks fantastic construction wise but doesn’t look like it actually covers much at all. The awning is tiny and that price my gawd

Agreed - none of us are trying to hamper his commercial efforts. I really like the presentation and personal story (small startup, family-owned, 100% USA, Sunbrella, etc.). HIs price is his price - I emailed him inquiring about Group Buys or seasonal discounts, nothing back yet.

As to coverage, 168 SF (wow!) is shown on the dimensional drawing provided but actually calcs out to less than half of that (you can see my notes in the spreadsheet pic above). Also inquired about that via email, nothing back yet.

If I'm personally rooting for anyone, it's Kinsmen all the way for the reasons stated above but unless a big coupon comes my way (and it has adequate coverage), I don't think I'm a customer.

tlin

Adventurer
I LOVE when a fellow enginerd chimes in with data!

I have some opinions on the Bush 270XT (not max). I think the rear coverage leaves a little to be desired due to the angle of the last rafter arm. It cuts the rear of my vehicle off at an angle and during rain events, the spare tire gets wet. Consequently, the fold out table that's attached to the spare tire swing also gets wet so I have to adjust my kitchen accordingly. My old Batwing had better coverage than my Bush but it's all a compromise, as we all know. I've stated this before, I don't care about covering the driver front door area and wanted a tad lighter awning, hence my choice of awning. YMMV, as they say.

Again, I knew all this going in but my priority was ease of setup, ease of zipping up and a general "no fuqs given" attitude when it comes to wind. I simply don't give a poop if a wind gust comes up with my Bush. I don't panic and start looking to guy everything down :rolleyes: Flapping of the panels during wind is annoying if you're trying to sleep so if you guy down the mid-spans using the D rings, this totally eliminates the flapping as well makes me feel better about going to sleep with the awing being deployed all night.

I'll be doing the AZ Peace trail next month and it'll be windy! Spring time in the SW brings a lot of wind.

My pics above show this already but I made my own mounting brackets and I don't have a roof rack, FYI.

Same motivations here, I like your thinking. From overhead pics, the Bush rear coverage did look a tad shy of what would be ideal, I appreciate the real-world input. I love the few vids I've seen of guys hanging right off where the arms attach - that's the type of subjective confidence I need in my next awning for sure.

Az Peace Trail - shoot me a note if you're looking for anyone else to tag along. I'm in AZ and have been talking with a couple of buddies about doing a trail run some time soon-ish. Cheers!

The biggest positive for me on the kinsmen is jot even the great construction but the sunbrella fabric. It doesn’t get better than that. I am definitely rooting for them and hopefully economies of scale can bring the price more in line with their competition

Robert I

View attachment 707784

This is a really helpful analysis tlin. Thanks.

I'm wondering if anyone has more to add about the Doghouse? Can any users tell me how long it takes to set up and how easy it is to stow? I haven't found a video of the process anywhere yet.

tlin

Adventurer
This is a really helpful analysis tlin. Thanks.

I'm wondering if anyone has more to add about the Doghouse? Can any users tell me how long it takes to set up and how easy it is to stow? I haven't found a video of the process anywhere yet.

Per an email exchange direct w/ Doghouse (shared below), here's what I know (doesn't address your setup query but is relevant if you're in the US and considering this):
  1. They don't ship the unit linked in this thread to the US.
  2. The 270 awning that IS available in the US appears to be the same design I currently have (original Foxwing) which I'm eventually replacing.
  3. The weights shared in the email below are perhaps reversed (seems backwards)?
I still like the Canadian 270 but alas it's not currently available in the US. I also didn't get my question concerning coverage answered.

Email below (direct copy so I'm not paraphrasing or misrepresenting):

Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2022 9:47 AM
To: XXXXXXX
Subject:
Re: Your 270 Awning

legless 270 is 40lbs
with legs is 30lbs

We have them in stock in Canada, We don't ship to the USA from Canada, but if you looking in the USA best to contact https://www.doghousetentsus.com/

On Feb 16, 2022, at 4:08 PM, XXXXXXX wrote:

Hi there,
  1. How much does this weigh?
  2. What is the coverage (ft2)?
  3. Any US distributors?
  4. Lead time?
Thanks!

--Todd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member